follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 04-30-2024, 08:39 PM   #1
ThatYeti

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sidemarker Fix

Realize this has been covered a bunch here but looking thru the old posts I'm not seeing an answer other than replace the clips or just zip tie it. Also an option to buy some kind of after market plate that has to be riveted on or something.

Pic of my passenger side as I tried to add new clear ones but noticed I am missing the plastic plug that holds on the fender liner and the old one was just zip tied on which I'm hoping to avoid doing again.

So how do I fix this and what parts if any am I missing (besides the plastic plug with the Phillips on it)
Attached Images

ThatYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 07:02 AM   #2
gkubed

Drives: 15 ZN6, 97 NA8, 87 AE82, 78 MX32
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
The fix recommended in this video works surprisingly well. Also, the OEM silver clips are far better fitting than any aftermarket ones I've handled, so I would recommend picking those up.

gkubed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gkubed For This Useful Post:
Teseo (05-02-2024), ThatYeti (05-01-2024), tobin (05-01-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 07:21 AM   #3
ThatYeti

Appreciate that but on mine it feels like there's something on the car/fender side missing that the sidemarker is meant to clip into as none of the clips seem to seat into anything despite all being present. Any idea what's missing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkubed View Post
The fix recommended in this video works surprisingly well. Also, the OEM silver clips are far better fitting than any aftermarket ones I've handled, so I would recommend picking those up.

Old 05-01-2024, 09:23 PM   #4
gkubed

Drives: 15 ZN6, 97 NA8, 87 AE82, 78 MX32
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatYeti View Post
Appreciate that but on mine it feels like there's something on the car/fender side missing that the sidemarker is meant to clip into as none of the clips seem to seat into anything despite all being present. Any idea what's missing?
It looks like you're missing SU003-01505. You can see that part at 1:50 in the video I linked.

I think you're going to want two rivets like SU003-02940 and one pop clip like SU003-02974 for the installation.
gkubed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gkubed For This Useful Post:
RToyo86 (05-03-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 11:28 PM   #5
ThatYeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkubed View Post
It looks like you're missing SU003-01505. You can see that part at 1:50 in the video I linked.

I think you're going to want two rivets like SU003-02940 and one pop clip like SU003-02974 for the installation.
Thanks but if I never took that part out when I put the aftermarket ones in how would I be missing it? Granted I bought the car used but it has factory side markers on it when I got it. Only swapped to smoked ones afterwards and they were already drilled for zip ties so that's how the shop put them on after pulling the bumper for an oil cooler install.
Old 05-03-2024, 01:33 AM   #6
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Thanks but if I never took that part out when I put the aftermarket ones in how would I be missing it? Granted I bought the car used but it has factory side markers on it when I got it. Only swapped to smoked ones afterwards and they were already drilled for zip ties so that's how the shop put them on after pulling the bumper for an oil cooler install.

Probably the car was an in accident previously, replaced bumper, and the shop never put them on
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 07:35 AM   #7
ThatYeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessAzure View Post
Probably the car was an in accident previously, replaced bumper, and the shop never put them on
Ok but if that's the case and it's a part that's riveted on wouldn't there be holes from the original part? For what it's worth the car has a clean history and I was told the bumpers were resprayed at one point before I bought it just cause it was a city car and got lots of little scrapes.
Old 05-03-2024, 08:51 AM   #8
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Ok but if that's the case and it's a part that's riveted on wouldn't there be holes from the original part? For what it's worth the car has a clean history and I was told the bumpers were resprayed at one point before I bought it just cause it was a city car and got lots of little scrapes.
The holes are molded into the bumper itself. You don't "make" any new holes. You can even see one of the holes you're meant to send a rivet through to attach the side of the bracket in your photo. The other one comes down for the top of the bracket, near where the pop clip is on the photo.

Regardless of what happened, your car doesn't have the bracket.
-- That bracket is something that is often neglected when replacing the bumper, especially if a new replacement was needed and the shop isn't familiar with the car. The brackets don't come pre-installed on a replacement bumper: the brackets and rivets need to be ordered and installed separately. It's not typical for shops to remove them if they don't have to either.

@gkubed already listed all the parts you need (1x passenger bracket, 2x rivets). You should probably check your driver side as well, and order the driver bracket and additional rivets as well if needed.

See this old DIY guide. It shows how the sidemarkers are retained from the factory, some images of the bracket, and how you're supposed to interact with them. https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15560 . Zip ties are not the factory retention method. The sidemarker metal tab snaps into the bracket
Attached Images

Last edited by EndlessAzure; 05-03-2024 at 09:29 AM.
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EndlessAzure For This Useful Post:
bcj (05-03-2024), ThatYeti (05-03-2024)