follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 09-28-2014, 07:17 PM   #1
fatalelement

Drives: 2015 FR-S (Halo)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Can someone show me their 2014 or below shoulder belt anchor bolt?

Hi, I went to install my Cipher Auto harness bar in my 2015 frs - but I think the B pillar seatbelt bolts have been changed for this model year. My bolt is nowhere near long enough to hold the additional spacer they supply and the oem one. Without extra spacers, however, there is no chance of this fitting correctly at all. Can someone, preferably someone who has their B-pillar trim off or a harness bar in, give me some sort of details as to what the bolt looks like? I'm fine picking up an appropriate one from the hardware/auto parts store, I just don't want to get a random one of a random length because I'd like it to be as close to the intended size as possible. Attaching pics of mine - it seems way shorter than it would have to be.
Attached Images

fatalelement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:27 PM   #2
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,352 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Mine isn't apart, and I'm too exhausted to pull it apart tonight, but you could try calling a dealership to get a part number (or actual part) for a 2013 or 2014 car.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:31 PM   #3
fatalelement

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Mine isn't apart, and I'm too exhausted to pull it apart tonight, but you could try calling a dealership to get a part number (or actual part) for a 2013 or 2014 car.
Unfortunately I checked and they won't sell you the anchor bolt. They will only sell you an entire seatbelt. I checked two dealers. So they can't really get me one for any reasonable price and don't have the measurements - I'd rather see one with some measurements so I can buy an appropriate replacement.

Their dealer system just has a crappy tiny picture and no info.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-28-2014, 10:45 PM   #4
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatalelement View Post
Unfortunately I checked and they won't sell you the anchor bolt. They will only sell you an entire seatbelt. I checked two dealers. So they can't really get me one for any reasonable price and don't have the measurements - I'd rather see one with some measurements so I can buy an appropriate replacement.

Their dealer system just has a crappy tiny picture and no info.

Well, did the part number change? That would tell you if you're at least on the right track.
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:48 PM   #5
fatalelement

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
Well, did the part number change? That would tell you if you're at least on the right track.
I could call them Monday and check but regardless unless I'm hugely misunderstanding basic instructions, I can't install the harness bar without a different bolt anyway. I'm 99.99% sure they're different. Dealer can't show me the bolt, they don't carry extra seatbelt assemblies on hand, so I really just need to see someone else's so I can go buy that thing.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:20 AM   #6
wparsons

Garage
Call a Subaru dealership as well, I found their part departments to be way more helpful. As a bonus they actually had parts in stock, AND were cheaper than Toyota.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:03 PM   #7
fatalelement

Garage
Quote:
Call a Subaru dealership as well, I found their part departments to be way more helpful. As a bonus they actually had parts in stock, AND were cheaper than Toyota.
the one I spoke to this morning was only really willing to tell me the same deal with the seatbelt assembly. the person on the phone didn't really want to slog through pages of parts, maybe I'll go in person.

honestly I'll probably just buy a few lengths of high-grade bolts and see which one fits appropriately. they can't really be worse, but I don't know if I can find one with that built-in spacer under the head. guess I'll be the 2015 harness bar guinea pig
Old 09-29-2014, 02:36 PM   #8
wparsons

Garage
They're just being lazy, all parts guys have software with exploded diagrams of every last part on the car. It should take no more than 5 minutes to find it.

You might even be able to find the software online, I know you can find the VW/Audi software (ETKA) if you look hard enough.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:04 PM   #9
fatalelement

Garage
Quote:
They're just being lazy, all parts guys have software with exploded diagrams of every last part on the car. It should take no more than 5 minutes to find it.

You might even be able to find the software online, I know you can find the VW/Audi software (ETKA) if you look hard enough.
The Toyota rep was cool and let me look through the diagram, but it exploded every part except that seatbelt bolt which was tiny and generic in appearance.They said it's a piece of the seatbelt assembly itself. You can't explode the pre tensioner in the seatbelt, for example, because it's a part of the seatbelt assembly which is "one piece" of the car with only one part number. all the other bolts were separate. She looked for an hour and the service department said they won't match it for me because it's a liability issue and they don't want to tell me where to get an aftermarket bolt that could kill me if it's faulty.

Considering one of my classes in law school is on that exact topic right now, I don't blame them. I emailed Cipher auto to see if they had any ideas.

The bottom anchors use a long hex head bolt that I believe may be what the old one was, but I can't be sure without seeing the correct bolt. But like I said, I'm going to find one that has enough length to go deep into the mount and hold the hardware and is high grade.

Since the harness bar is braced against four points in the car, it seems unlikely to exert the same forces that a shoulder belt would on that bolt because there isn't really much wiggle room.

If I figure it out tonight, I'll post what made it work as this is likely something that another 2015 owner will end up wanting in the future.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:53 PM   #10
fatalelement

Garage
I found a proper long bolt - took many days and many hardware stores and body shops - finally hit a tiny run down True Value. It had many lengths, I think I'm all set. They're hardened metal just like the OEM ones (steel I think? I had the guys double check and a body shop on the way home). I'll keep you posted if I die in a terrible accident and become a ghost

Old 09-30-2014, 10:09 AM   #11
wparsons

Garage
Just make sure it's a high grade bolt, hardened steel doesn't tell you the strength rating.

https://www.fastenal.com/web/en/76/m...specifications
Old 09-30-2014, 03:13 PM   #12
fatalelement

Garage
Mystery solved - apparently the bar was supposed to come with new bolts but the instructions don't have any pictures or a parts list, and it came with all the other bolts and washers so I didn't think twice. Instructions didn't really note there was a supplied bolt, it said reinstall anchor using supplied and oem hardware. Either way, all is good now.

And yes, it is a high grade bolt so it'll be fine. Thanks for the help!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalelement For This Useful Post:
wparsons (09-30-2014)