follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 11-26-2015, 11:05 PM   #15
Bobblehead

Drives: 2013 BRZ (gone) 2016 Ford Fusion SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdq85 View Post
Not sure how a ford fusion falls into the category or reliable? I drove one as a rental once that had like 14000 miles and it felt like a 10 year old car. My buddy also has one with 30kish miles and it sounds like the world is going to end every time I'm in it
It's all in how you take care of them. Besides, like my BRZ sometimes you just get a turd.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2015, 11:07 PM   #16
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdq85 View Post
Not sure how a ford fusion falls into the category or reliable? I drove one as a rental once that had like 14000 miles and it felt like a 10 year old car. My buddy also has one with 30kish miles and it sounds like the world is going to end every time I'm in it
The Ford Fusion and the Nissan Versa are tied for the worst, lousiest, lamest, most uncomfortable, stupidly designed cars I've ever rented. I have no words to express my distaste for either... well... calling them "vehicles" would be an insult to mopeds everywhere.

Having said that, I ended up with a Ford Focus as a rental recently. I was so ticked at the time, anticipating another Fusion-esque affront to drivers everywhere, but, much as I hate to admit it, the Focus really wasn't too bad. Actually, it was even better than not bad.

I'm not sure what "dealbreaker" means in this thread's context. For me, there isn't one. If there was, I wouldn't own the car.. the deal would be broken. Things I'd change?

1. Make it quieter as stock. Let the folks who want loud for loud's sake do that on their own. The car could be much quieter (lose the #$@#$ "sound generator" tube, for cryin' out loud.. how stupid...) without giving up any performance.

2. A little more storage, and more forward, in the center console, along with an armrest standard, would be nice, although I agree with the other posters re/ resting your arm on the ebrake. That works fine for me.

3. The back seat is just plain silly, although I'm not a big fan of the way the seat deletes I've seen available look. Don't know what would be better than the seat, but the seat is still... silly.

4. Although I'm guessing here, the OEM FR-S seats SEEM like they wouldn't hold up to serious wear very well, and the OEM carpets are pretty thin, too. A more robust interior standard would be welcomed. I put SARD seat covers, 3D MAXpider floor mats front and back, and a Weathertech trunk liner. They all look great, and my car's ready for winter slush and messes.

I really don't care what the car looks like; I don't get folks' obsession with wheel gap, mustaches, park benches, kilobuck wheels or anything else related to appearance. You can't see ANY of that while you're driving, and I don't care what the car looks like to other people. I like frugality and performance, and this car is about as perfect a compromise between those two as possible. My nitpicks above are certainly not dealbreakers.. just room for improvement in my opinion, is all.

AND.. I'm very thankful for the car, the help and kind folks on this forum, friends, and family. God bless us all. Happy Thanksgiving!

Barry
MuseChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MuseChaser For This Useful Post:
perryair (11-27-2015)
Old 11-26-2015, 11:20 PM   #17
Bobblehead

Drives: 2013 BRZ (gone) 2016 Ford Fusion SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
The Ford Fusion and the Nissan Versa are tied for the worst, lousiest, lamest, most uncomfortable, stupidly designed cars I've ever rented. I have no words to express my distaste for either... well... calling them "vehicles" would be an insult to mopeds everywhere.

Having said that, I ended up with a Ford Focus as a rental recently. I was so ticked at the time, anticipating another Fusion-esque affront to drivers everywhere, but, much as I hate to admit it, the Focus really wasn't too bad. Actually, it was even better than not bad.
See, I hated the Focus. The interior was awkward and cramped. If I liked the interior I would've gotten the ST, but unfortunately my fat American ass won't fit in it!

Everyone hates the Fusion rental cars because they come with the junk 2.5 liter NA engine and 16" wheels. When first looking for cars I drove a base Fusion (probably much like your rental) and I hated it. Absolutely garbage car. With the 2.0 Ecoboost, the MyFord Touch infotainment system and an aftermarket rear sway bar, it turns into a completely different car, I assure you.

If you still disagree, that's fine. We're all entitled to our own opinions. After all, I'm the weirdo who traded a really nice sports car for a family sedan!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2015, 11:44 PM   #18
Babel

Drives: 2015 BLACK BRZ
The horrible 1-2-3 gear shifts before it warms up after 10 min. I feel like I'm going to blow a gear any day now.
Babel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 01:53 AM   #19
perryair
junior mafia

Drives: ‘20 sti limited
Quote:

I really don't care what the car looks like; I don't get folks' obsession with wheel gap, mustaches, park benches, kilobuck wheels or anything else related to appearance. You can't see ANY of that while you're driving, and I don't care what the car looks like to other people. I like frugality and performance, and this car is about as perfect a compromise between those two as possible. My nitpicks above are certainly not dealbreakers.. just room for improvement in my opinion, is all.

AND.. I'm very thankful for the car, the help and kind folks on this forum, friends, and family. God bless us all. Happy Thanksgiving!

Barry
i wish that i was less vain but honestly the appearance is a big part of it for me - knowing that the wheel gap and suck exists makes me not enjoy even the super enjoyable parts of the car as much.
MuseChaser (11-27-2015)
Old 11-27-2015, 12:07 PM   #20
KrisisOD

Drives: Subaru BRZ Hyper Blue
Quote:

2. A little more storage, and more forward, in the center console, along with an armrest standard, would be nice, although I agree with the other posters re/ resting your arm on the ebrake. That works fine for me.

3. The back seat is just plain silly, although I'm not a big fan of the way the seat deletes I've seen available look. Don't know what would be better than the seat, but the seat is still... silly.

You can't see ANY of that while you're driving, and I don't care what the car looks like to other people. I like frugality and performance, and this car is about as perfect a compromise between those two as possible. My nitpicks above are certainly not dealbreakers.. just room for improvement in my opinion, is all.

Barry
I agree about compartmentalized storage, as I really would like a sunglasses holder, I'm prone to lose, or sit on my sunglasses if I don't have a specific place to put them, maybe I can get one that slides onto the passenger visor.

The back seat was actually a selling point to me as I might commute with one other person to school soon, and having a place for her to sit, and a place for both our backpacks without having to use the trunk is nice for me. I like it as alternative storage, not so much as a backseat function.

I don't really care what the car looks like to other people, but I do want to like the way my car looks. I like to look back when I'm walking into a store and smile because I'm so happy to own the car, and if it's a 2000 forest green neon with a silver door from an accident, that's not likely going to happen. (A car I owned a decade ago.)

But the part I agreed on most was the frugality and performance, it's exactly why I bought it. I went from driving a huge modern muscle car which I did love driving, but needed a car that got a little better gas mileage but was still fun to drive. This was exactly what I was looking for. I did look at the MX-5 as well, but to me there were some awkwardly placed features, and I didn't like the blind spots with the top up.

And finally deal breakers, the only thing that almost killed this deal for me was what they offered for my trade in. If they insult me, or aren't willing to offer a fair price on a trade in, I'm not interested.

Hope everyone had a great holiday.
KrisisOD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KrisisOD For This Useful Post:
MuseChaser (11-28-2015), Shedd22 (11-30-2015), Tcoat (11-27-2015)
Old 11-27-2015, 02:42 PM   #21
Babel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisisOD View Post
I agree about compartmentalized storage, as I really would like a sunglasses holder, I'm prone to lose, or sit on my sunglasses if I don't have a specific place to put them, maybe I can get one that slides onto the passenger visor.

The back seat was actually a selling point to me as I might commute with one other person to school soon, and having a place for her to sit, and a place for both our backpacks without having to use the trunk is nice for me. I like it as alternative storage, not so much as a backseat function.

I don't really care what the car looks like to other people, but I do want to like the way my car looks. I like to look back when I'm walking into a store and smile because I'm so happy to own the car, and if it's a 2000 forest green neon with a silver door from an accident, that's not likely going to happen. (A car I owned a decade ago.)

But the part I agreed on most was the frugality and performance, it's exactly why I bought it. I went from driving a huge modern muscle car which I did love driving, but needed a car that got a little better gas mileage but was still fun to drive. This was exactly what I was looking for. I did look at the MX-5 as well, but to me there were some awkwardly placed features, and I didn't like the blind spots with the top up.

And finally deal breakers, the only thing that almost killed this deal for me was what they offered for my trade in. If they insult me, or aren't willing to offer a fair price on a trade in, I'm not interested.

Hope everyone had a great holiday.
My gfs dad has a Porsche 911 carrera and those back seats are equally as worthless. I've used them before and they work for short bar trips.

I'm really into how the world sees my car. Hell when I go for a smoke break I just look over my car thinking what else to do next to it, how dirty it fucking looks OR clean, I'm an only child so it's my gf me and my car right now, gotta be picky about her (car).
Babel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 03:14 PM   #22
kbye

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
though everything listed are not true dealbreakers because you still bought the car...
kbye is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kbye For This Useful Post:
acetothermus (01-13-2016), irax (11-27-2015), Luftwaffel (01-15-2016)
Old 11-27-2015, 03:17 PM   #23
LOLS2K
/scion

Drives: '13 86 M/T
Thanked 1,402 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
No power, total deal breaker...
LOLS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 03:28 PM   #24
irax

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbye View Post
though everything listed are not true dealbreakers because you still bought the car...
Not a deal breaker for me, but something that came up first week of owning the car was the seat height (I'm 6'2) and that you pretty much have to slam the trunk. Also my car came with a hood that was deformed from the factory and I thought it was normal until I drove someone elses brz. My fix for that was to have mad drifter hood spacers.
irax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 03:32 PM   #25
KrisisOD

Drives: Subaru BRZ Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbye View Post
I can't speak for the rest of the replies, but the trade in value would have been a deal breaker, but we came to an agreeable price. I would have walked away had they not met me where I wanted. So it is a "true" deal breaker for me.
KrisisOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 04:16 PM   #26
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,571 Times in 18,955 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babel View Post
The horrible 1-2-3 gear shifts before it warms up after 10 min. I feel like I'm going to blow a gear any day now.
I should start a thread specifically dedicated to this since I feel the pain and am super into being "one with the machine."

Synchros aren't the stickiest in the world so it's an opportunity to perfect timing. The key for cold upshifts is to get through neutral as quickly as possible. Don't force it, but don't pause either. If it doesn't just flop into gear it's because you weren't fast enough. PM me if you want. Don't want to hijack yet another what's-wrong-with-this-car thread.
Old 11-29-2015, 12:00 AM   #27
Babel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
I should start a thread specifically dedicated to this since I feel the pain and am super into being "one with the machine."

Synchros aren't the stickiest in the world so it's an opportunity to perfect timing. The key for cold upshifts is to get through neutral as quickly as possible. Don't force it, but don't pause either. If it doesn't just flop into gear it's because you weren't fast enough. PM me if you want. Don't want to hijack yet another what's-wrong-with-this-car thread.
Also something this car does that I hate is the pedal response. I'll hit the gas and I swear there is a delay before the Rpms go up. If I am backing up and barely touch the gas I get nothing then all of a sudden it jumps a whole 1k rpm and drops instantly. It's hard to explain but maybe that's the cars lack of low end torque.
Old 11-29-2015, 12:09 AM   #28
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,571 Times in 18,955 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babel View Post
Also something this car does that I hate is the pedal response. I'll hit the gas and I swear there is a delay before the Rpms go up. If I am backing up and barely touch the gas I get nothing then all of a sudden it jumps a whole 1k rpm and drops instantly. It's hard to explain but maybe that's the cars lack of low end torque.
There is some disagreement but I remain convinced it's latency from the vehicle stability system doing its thing. It exists even after the 5-second cancellation. The only difference is the system doesn't intervene when it feels the car getting out of shape.

Pedal dance seems to bypass all that. The throttle gets super responsive.