follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 11-24-2015, 02:56 AM   #15
Canehda
poverty cause racecar

Drives: Subaru BRZ JRSC'd
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I don't think you can take the insurance off completely as stated, but I have multiple friends that have park insurance throughout the winter to protect from some unforeseen event like a theft. Our neighbour uses it and he only pays like $45 a month on his 997 c2s...
Canehda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:59 AM   #16
jamies31

Drives: 2014 Scion Frs (Argento)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
also when you are financing a vehicle you can move to just fire and theft, But make very sure it doesn't leave its storage spot and your insurance company knows where it is being stored.
I am what's called a "high risk driver" and because I have a company vehicle I am not insuring a second vehicle so my insurance company will not allow me to move down to fire and theft while being stored until some of my tickets clear so depending on your driving record it would be good to check with your insurance company first if its available to you or not.
jamies31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:30 AM   #17
df.dima

Drives: FR-S and Mazda 3 Sky
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I would like to mention regarding off-season insurance, I also put it on fire and theft for the winter, since first year. At no point did my agent hestiate or warn me (they knew the car was financed).
What does TFS say? I didn't ask. If the car is parked in my garage and properly covered, why should they be concerned?
Its paid off, so no concern for me anymore, but its an interesting point.

Regarding financing, you got your answers, pretty much you are going to be paying out a lease, as soon as its over, you can re-finance it through dealership(bank) or just shop around on your own.
df.dima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:16 AM   #18
Dango1

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehda View Post
I don't think you can take the insurance off completely as stated, but I have multiple friends that have park insurance throughout the winter to protect from some unforeseen event like a theft. Our neighbour uses it and he only pays like $45 a month on his 997 c2s...
Yes the assumption I made was by take off insurance he meant road going and leaving basic fire and theft insurance which is a few dollars a month.

I forgot this is the internet. I'll move along.
Dango1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:47 AM   #19
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,352 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehda View Post
Is the 911 financed? Most financing companies won't allow just fire/theft, even if the car is in storage.
The Following User Says Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
Cole (11-24-2015)
Old 11-24-2015, 04:36 PM   #20
Canehda
poverty cause racecar

Drives: Subaru BRZ JRSC'd
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
As far as I know its a used car that is being financed since he was telling my dad about the surprisingly good interest rate he got for a used car. May depend fully on the specific financial company giving the loan, I could see parking the car in the winter a common thing for Porsche but less common for a company like Subaru/Toyota and so their policies may reflect that

and lol @Dango1 I thought he meant take off insurance completely!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2015, 06:44 PM   #21
kbye

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Late to the thread, but my thoughts anyway.
It is hit-and-miss with insurance companies and also dependent on the agent you're dealing with. Mine for example (RBC insurance) would not allow me to go on fire/theft without written consent from Toyota Financial services. Conversely I know someone else who was able to get it no problem with his discount brokerage. We both financed.
I don't think there is an explicit rule, more like internal policies they have to cover their asses.
kbye is offline   Reply With Quote