follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 05-07-2024, 02:30 PM   #71
autoracer86

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Another track day and still going backwards lap time wise. I did manage to “beat” my personal best by about .2 if not for traffic so that's a positive take away. Best completed lap was a 2:08.6 .7 slower. Honestly I thought I would easily find time when I upgraded my suspension and alignment.

When looking over the data I notice I am braking a bit earlier like 10-20 feet and often not as hard. Also notice I don’t use as much steering angle but maybe that last one is a good thing haha.

Overall the data says I am driving less aggressively but it sure doesn’t feel like that in the car. I am starting to wonder if these tires are just heat cycled out or require a level of driving skill I don’t have to extract more performance out of them.

The data really messes with your head as it does show at times car/driver/tires should be able to match or even beat my best lap. All I can think of is a lack of confidences from the tires and that is why I am driving differently.

Most of my background in performance driving comes from auto x so I am not used to having historical data from the same track or running a normal summer tire. New territory for me

Speaking of new territory, on my last track day I felt as if the brake pedal travel was a bit longer than normal. Stopping power was fine and it never worsened so I am pretty sure it wasn’t brake fade. Could be I just need another bleed but the travel with the street pads feel good.

Anyway I figured why not get some temp data. See if I am boiling the fluid or damaging the caliper seals. So I tossed on these AP racing temperature stickers to see if the caliper was getting too hot and I wasn’t even close. The back ones didn't even register.

Seeing as my top speed at my local track is only 94 and there are not a lot of heavy braking zones that makes sense.

My only thought for the increased pedal travel is the brake pads getting smaller. Not sure that makes any sense but again sorta new territory for me.

Maybe I need to use the temperature paint to get the temperature of the disk to better understand if I am overheating brakes.

Sorry for the rant lol... Here is my best lap of the day and my first ever off on track!!

Driver Front / Passenger front
Attached Images

autoracer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to autoracer86 For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (05-07-2024), RedReplicant (05-10-2024)
Old 05-07-2024, 02:49 PM   #72
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,477 Times in 769 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
That sure seems like the tires are just cycled out! Similar experience at autocross earlier this year for me. Feel like I'm doing everything right but I'm just... slow.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DocWalt For This Useful Post:
autoracer86 (05-07-2024)
Old 05-07-2024, 02:54 PM   #73
autoracer86

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
That sure seems like the tires are just cycled out! Similar experience at autocross earlier this year for me. Feel like I'm doing everything right but I'm just... slow.
It's much easier to remove the driver from the equation in your case lol. Either way I think its time for a proper performance tire
Old 05-07-2024, 03:00 PM   #74
DocWalt

You say that like you're slow, haha. For what it's worth, I had no idea why I was slow until I looked at data and video later and was like "wow I am FIGHTING the car" and it's not normally like that.
Old 05-07-2024, 03:38 PM   #75
autoracer86

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
You say that like you're slow, haha. For what it's worth, I had no idea why I was slow until I looked at data and video later and was like "wow I am FIGHTING the car" and it's not normally like that.
haha well thanks for the ego boost. I enjoy pouring over the data even if I don't understand what I am looking at half the time lol. It's a lot of fun learning data analysis and for me really extends what I get out of a track day. Kinda lives on for a few days after its over if that makes sense
Old 05-07-2024, 08:00 PM   #76
DocWalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoracer86 View Post
haha well thanks for the ego boost. I enjoy pouring over the data even if I don't understand what I am looking at half the time lol. It's a lot of fun learning data analysis and for me really extends what I get out of a track day. Kinda lives on for a few days after its over if that makes sense

After the recent NJ ProSolo a few of us are still poring over data and video to make sense of it all