follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-13-2014, 08:04 PM   #197
Jaylyons1

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ; 1993 Skyline GT-R
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Are the FR-Ss selling for under sticker or not? Seems like everyone always says that they end up with a BRZ because you can get invoice pricing where Pure Pricing doesn't allow nearly as much flexibility. Now you are saying that the standard FR-S is available easily for $4k under MSRP? Well, hot damn, I'll go ahead and buy one now. I don't need the toys for my toy.

The amount to offer these special editions that require zero additional R&D is minuscule compared to offering an additional engine or even optional wheels or aero bits. The R&D is already covered for these seats, push button, HVAC, and headlights. It is just marketing cost. Press releases and website updates are not expensive. The plates that say #1234 of 2000 are probably the biggest cost that comes about from these special editions that just use already developed parts.
At first they weren't going for under MSRP. It may be based on where you live. I've seen a couple new FR-S's going for just under $22k(2013 model's). BRZ's have been going for about $24k now too. The east coast is where it's at to buy a car. You can get a new 5.0 Mustang for under $24k(2014 models) as well if that's your thing. I was tempted myself.
Jaylyons1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:10 PM   #198
Quentin

Drives: ‘16 4Runner, ‘19 Corolla HB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylyons1 View Post
At first they weren't going for under MSRP. It may be based on where you live. I've seen a couple new FR-S's going for just under $22k(2013 model's). BRZ's have been going for about $24k now too. The east coast is where it's at to buy a car. You can get a new 5.0 Mustang for under $24k(2014 models) as well if that's your thing. I was tempted myself.

I'll have to look around for a leftover '13, then. Mustangs do nothing for me. Too fat.
Quentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:56 PM   #199
AznKirby
Are you 20/20?

Drives: Hopes and dreams
Thanked 1,310 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post
Grr, apparently no red stitched leather e-brake/boot. I'd much rather have that than the red-stitched leather rear seat arm rest. But it shouldn't be that hard/expensive to swap out at least.
It's part of the BRZ accessory catalogue though

IG: @MonKehC
AznKirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:01 PM   #200
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznKirby View Post
It's part of the BRZ accessory catalogue though
Yeah, I know. That's why I'm not too worried about it. But still... that's another 300 bucks out of pocket. :P
Old 01-14-2014, 12:34 AM   #201
FiRStsc10n
Canadian FR-S Member

Drives: FR-S '10 Series'
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post
Yeah, I know. That's why I'm not too worried about it. But still... that's another 300 bucks out of pocket. :P
FYI Subarupartsonline sells the full replacement red-stitched shifter for $107, and $66 for the boot. It's still extra money, but not $300.
FiRStsc10n is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FiRStsc10n For This Useful Post:
Bristecom (01-14-2014)
Old 01-14-2014, 10:58 AM   #202
FRSupra

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
So, it looks like the most unique models of the FR-S are the 2012/early 2013 built ones with the no screen head unit, turn key back to basic's sports car as it was meant to be...
FRSupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:33 PM   #203
LBC Por Siempre

Drives: 2008 Toyota Prius, 2012 911 Turbo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMDominator View Post
The heated seats would be great during the winter but leather seats don't feel so great during our 100 degree summers here.
This is why something out of a lower Marque I would prefer fabric seats unless they offered seat ventilation! Like with a Porsche. I hate leather in the summer time if you're going to drive it unless you have AC running all the time. And I wouldn't mind converting mine, if I had one yet, over to Electric AC instead of it being an accessory!
LBC Por Siempre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LBC Por Siempre For This Useful Post:
DMDominator (01-18-2014)
Old 01-14-2014, 08:55 PM   #204
hushypushy
ビーアールゼット

Drives: WRB BRZ '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpueblo View Post
Everything about the stereos are identical except the head unit, which is 104 watts less than the FR-S. I suspect if you thought the BRZ was better its because the FR-S was tune badly or maybe they even had installed an aftermarket. Many came set to tC instead of FR-S, and they have different sound profiles to switch between too (natural, hear, feel). Different tires can affect road noise too, basically this is a non-thing. The cars are essentially the same noise-wise. I was actually pleasantly surprised to find there is noise dampening behind some of the side panels as well.
First of all, I guarantee you something is different. Although as I have now discovered (read on), it's surely aftermarket and not just an OEM BRZ/FR-S difference. Although, here are the details of my experience anyway. The difference was so shocking that I started to wonder if they'd make an OEM solution...hence me posting here in the Monogram thread.

The BRZ was built 9/12 and has the original head unit. My FR-S was built 6/12 and I have Bespoke.

I made it a point to reset the EQ to flat and turn off all the DSP stuff in the BRZ. Same in my FR-S (which, by the way, was correctly set to "FR-S" when I got the car).

With the car off, the timbre of the audio sounded pretty much identical to my FR-S overall. However, there are certain bass frequencies that really rattle my door panels; I played those songs in the BRZ--no rattles.

When you're moving, that's where the difference was HUGE. I actually switched wheels (!) so I tried them both on Michelin Primacy HP as well as my BFG Rivals. There is VASTLY less tire/road noise in the BRZ with both tires. Not only does that make the whole driving experience less fatiguing, there isn't as much noise blocking the music. I listened to the same album back to back the same highway and it was just much more clear and pleasant in the BRZ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
BRZ insulation?? There's no difference other than the trunk lid liner.
Well, I thought I had read that the BRZ came stock with a bit more insulation in the doors and under the carpet.

But upon comparison...they seem to be the same. These are the only two pics I could find:

So if they both have the same amount of insulation (which is pretty much none) then the BRZ I drove definitely has some aftermarket sound insulation. Well in that case, I think it's time to add some weight to my floors and doors to make my daily commute more bearable. That shouldn't take too many tenths off my autocross times
hushypushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:44 PM   #205
Burrcold

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,586 Times in 776 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
First of all, I guarantee you something is different. Although as I have now discovered (read on), it's surely aftermarket and not just an OEM BRZ/FR-S difference. Although, here are the details of my experience anyway. The difference was so shocking that I started to wonder if they'd make an OEM solution...hence me posting here in the Monogram thread.

The BRZ was built 9/12 and has the original head unit. My FR-S was built 6/12 and I have Bespoke.

I made it a point to reset the EQ to flat and turn off all the DSP stuff in the BRZ. Same in my FR-S (which, by the way, was correctly set to "FR-S" when I got the car).

With the car off, the timbre of the audio sounded pretty much identical to my FR-S overall. However, there are certain bass frequencies that really rattle my door panels; I played those songs in the BRZ--no rattles.

When you're moving, that's where the difference was HUGE. I actually switched wheels (!) so I tried them both on Michelin Primacy HP as well as my BFG Rivals. There is VASTLY less tire/road noise in the BRZ with both tires. Not only does that make the whole driving experience less fatiguing, there isn't as much noise blocking the music. I listened to the same album back to back the same highway and it was just much more clear and pleasant in the BRZ.

Well, I thought I had read that the BRZ came stock with a bit more insulation in the doors and under the carpet.

But upon comparison...they seem to be the same. These are the only two pics I could find:

So if they both have the same amount of insulation (which is pretty much none) then the BRZ I drove definitely has some aftermarket sound insulation. Well in that case, I think it's time to add some weight to my floors and doors to make my daily commute more bearable. That shouldn't take too many tenths off my autocross times
Or the BRZ was on different tires? I know that when I switched to PSS tires, the amount of road noise increased significantly (more debris being kicked up into the wheel wells).
Old 01-14-2014, 10:05 PM   #206
AznKirby
Are you 20/20?

Drives: Hopes and dreams
Thanked 1,310 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Man. Talk about nit-picking.

IG: @MonKehC
AznKirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:06 PM   #207
hushypushy
ビーアールゼット

Drives: WRB BRZ '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Or the BRZ was on different tires? I know that when I switched to PSS tires, the amount of road noise increased significantly (more debris being kicked up into the wheel wells).
Did you see where I mentioned that I swapped wheels?

I've tried my FR-S on Michelin Primacy HP (OEM tires) and BFG Rivals. I've actually driven that BRZ on three(!) sets of tires: Primacy HP's, Rivals, and Fuzion UHP. I drive my FR-S ~70 miles a day,and when I get in the BRZ to go somewhere during the day, it's a noticeable difference. A pleasant one

Toyota/Subaru made an admirable decision to give the 86 bare floors...people spend so much time trying to get the insulation out of 90's tuner cars. I used to roll around with gutted interiors...I guess I'm getting old, I want some insulation for my music now
hushypushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:30 PM   #208
Nemesis
H. Badger Cares About Him

Drives: BMW 335i coupe w/ man.6 spd
Has anyone tried to get photos from Detroit? Seems like this thread completely missed the show it foretold....(spoiler) the Detroit show had a white monogram but did not include interior pics..
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:36 PM   #209
Nemesis
H. Badger Cares About Him

Drives: BMW 335i coupe w/ man.6 spd
Detroit Pics

There were no interior pics listed.
Attached Images

Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:38 PM   #210