follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 07-20-2024, 03:28 PM   #4971
dpfarr

Drives: BRZ ts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
It’s been several years since I installed the blower. To remove it, in order to get at the starter to do my clutch; what’s the easiest way to get it out of the way? I’m going to go pull up the manual, but if you’re faster than me in this heat. Please don’t hesitate to help a dummy.

I had to go inside because of the heat. Didn’t drain the coolant from the blower. Can the unit be moved forward to access the starter or might as well drain and just remove the whole thing?

Last edited by dpfarr; 07-20-2024 at 07:03 PM.
dpfarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2024, 10:16 PM   #4972
bigB

Drives: 2014 ultramarine FR-S monogram
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
When I did my clutch earlier this year, I slapped together an apparatus similar to something that someone here showed that they bought from harbor freight, and used it with some straps to lift up the sc without disconnecting everything. But I had a hell of a time with the two electrical connectors at the top of the bell housing, trying to reach back there underneath the suspended sc. When I put it back together, I thought I got those connectors back together but no, I started getting neutral switch codes and my back up lights didn’t work. I ended up taking the sc off to get to those connectors. So I would recommend just taking it off.

With this issue and the two bypass actuator problems I have had, i am getting pretty good at taking that thing off.

Last edited by bigB; 07-20-2024 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Added a missing word
bigB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigB For This Useful Post:
B T (07-22-2024)
Old 07-20-2024, 10:19 PM   #4973
bigB

Drives: 2014 ultramarine FR-S monogram
Also, I didn’t drain the coolant, just disconnected the lines and wedged them facing up and out of the way. I didn’t loose too much coolant, and just topped it up after it was back together.
bigB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2024, 12:39 AM   #4974
dpfarr

I appreciate it.

Man I hate when working on cars doesn’t work well. Like figuring out the lower coolant hose clamp. I don’t even have a memory of putting that on. Must’ve put it on before I bolted the sc down?

I was putting my car up last weekend to start but the jack stands were way too fucking high to use (wishful thinking). I noticed a spot of leakage in my garage, looks like it came from my diff. Hoping the drain is not 100% tight or something. Otherwise…
Old 07-22-2024, 11:00 AM   #4975
B T

Drives: 15 BRZ, 2003 MR2, '70 Elky, 06 TBSS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigB View Post
When I did my clutch earlier this year, I slapped together an apparatus similar to something that someone here showed that they bought from harbor freight, and used it with some straps to lift up the sc without disconnecting everything.
This is the same way I do it. only really had to lift the supercharger because of the stupid clutch cylinder placement. Did everything else from under the car, including reach around for the electrical connectors.
Old 07-31-2024, 04:37 PM   #4976
SOCON

Drives: 2017 WR Blue PP
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...=136552&page=2 I have used this rig far more times than I ever thought would happen. Well worth the money.
SOCON is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SOCON For This Useful Post:
brandonblt2 (09-17-2024)
Old 08-01-2024, 02:43 AM   #4977
dpfarr

I guess the plus side was looking at my bypass actuator. What’s the test to tell if it still has appropriate vacuum? Or there’s a mount pattern of old vs new?

Additionally, the coolant tubing has some rust. I had been running Subaru coolant in it the last couple years. I want to assume that’s not the usual? I’m going to clean it up before I put it back on but want to be extra proactive that this doesn’t continue to oxidize and cause worse issues.
Old 08-01-2024, 02:43 AM   #4978
dpfarr

I guess the plus side was looking at my bypass actuator. What’s the test to tell if it still has appropriate vacuum? Or there’s a mount pattern of old vs new?

Additionally, the coolant tubing has some rust. I had been running Subaru coolant in it the last couple years. I want to assume that’s not the usual? I’m going to clean it up before I put it back on but want to be extra proactive that this doesn’t continue to oxidize and cause worse issues.
Old 09-18-2024, 10:33 PM   #4979
Brewster

Drives: 13 FRS AT, Edelbrock SC, Tomei EL
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
I love this.

What about water/meth injection?

Is anyone using water/methanol injection with the Edelbrock supercharger ?

Would it provide the equivalent Knock protection that 98 octane race fuel does ?
Old 09-19-2024, 09:37 AM   #4980
Muskoka800

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS Release Series 2#439
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster View Post
Is anyone using water/methanol injection with the Edelbrock supercharger ?

Would it provide the equivalent Knock protection that 98 octane race fuel does ?
I have two available tunes, 94 and 91. I run 94 normally but sometimes when up north it isn’t available so I have the 91 tune back-up. I can toggle back and forth using the cruise control stalk. Zach at CSG does my Ecotek tuning.
No knocking ever whether on street or lapping. Zach will someday adjust my tunes to accommodate a 3” pulley upgrade and larger injectors.
235F/245R Conti ECS on TRD/Enkei wheels (street),
245/40 sq. ECF on 17x8 720Form GTF2 wheels (track)
Muskoka800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2024, 10:15 AM   #4981
Brewster

Drives: 13 FRS AT, Edelbrock SC, Tomei EL
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskoka800 View Post
I have two available tunes, 94 and 91. I run 94 normally but sometimes when up north it isn’t available so I have the 91 tune back-up. I can toggle back and forth using the cruise control stalk. Zach at CSG does my Ecotek tuning.
No knocking ever whether on street or lapping. Zach will someday adjust my tunes to accommodate a 3” pulley upgrade and larger injectors.

Having multiple octane tunes selectable on the fly is a convenient feature of Ecuteck. I too have been tuned by Zach, for 91,94 and 98 octane.

My consideration of running water/methanol injection, as suggested by CSG Mike, would be an alternative to using Race Fuel. It would reduce the cost and transportation issues of Race Fuel.
Also, my good wife considers travelling with 2-3 5 gallons pails of Race Fuel in the trunk hazardous and prefers not to join me on those drives. Running water/meth injection would eliminate that issue and she could join me on more trips..... well, maybe I should re-think this topic

Popular consensus seems to indicate only using a smaller pulley with a "built" engine.