follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southern California

Southern California SoCal

User Tag List

Old 03-07-2014, 02:42 AM   #15
ZOMFGAARON
A Demon

Drives: Raven GT86
Thanked 1,321 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight23 View Post
I would never question a female cop, that's just asking for worse things to happen

She was super hostile she walked up to my car about to draw her weapon which made me uncomfortable and a little upset, I couldn't control myself, I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt that her hand position was/is habit but still.
ZOMFGAARON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:43 AM   #16
Tim_Asphalt_FRS
Is it fast? No.

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Manual-Asphalt
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOMFGAARON View Post
This is the kind of answer I was wanting, hoping someone knew a little about it without me having to dig. Thanks I guess next time I have to be a little more clear when posting so I don't get the "you did it deal with it" answers.

That's a typical answer. If you truly feel it's not louder than 95 dB and don't have anything else that she shouldn't see (ie turbo kit, cat less header etc) then make her look around. Usually if you respectfully show them that you know the law they'll treat you with respect back.

2013 (Rebadged) Toyota GT-86 {Perrin intake tube, aFe dry air filter, custom 2.5" exhaust, PLM overpipe, Kartboy crank pulley, Hotchkis springs, custom Flossy grip tape shorty, TRD shifter, Berk HFC, Whiteline Sway-bars}
[Wanted: Delicious Stg 2 tune, Bilstein struts]
Tim_Asphalt_FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:52 AM   #17
JS + BRZ
Banned

Drives: 2010 MS3
Thanked 1,161 Times in 597 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
You put a loud ass exhaust knowing it's illegal.

You were unlucky to get pulled over and get a ticket.

Man up and deal with it.

If you were a little more smart in driving around cops, you would have been alright.

I have tint on my front windows. If I ever get a ticket for it, I would remove it to take care of the ticket without crying. And probably re do the tint the next day.

Sent from my SCH-I605
JS + BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:54 AM   #18
JS + BRZ
Banned

Drives: 2010 MS3
Thanked 1,161 Times in 597 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
http://dsportmag.com/showcase/exhaus...hnology-bt8602

Sent from my SCH-I605
JS + BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JS + BRZ For This Useful Post:
midnight23 (03-07-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 04:32 AM   #19
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Do you know what 95db sounds like? Do you know how to measure it?

The old procedure to remedy exhaust tickets is outlined here:
http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_barresource...ise_levels.pdf

However, I believe the "Certificate of Compliance" part is gone now. You are best off contacting the law enforcement agency (most likely Industry Sheriff's Station) to figure out how to fix it.

As for state ref: http://asktheref.org/Services/Citati...2/Default.aspx

There's several fixes:

1) put back to stock, inspect, pay "fix-it" administrative fee
2) leave it as-is, pay the fine
3) have it inspected if you believe it to be under 95db, have ticket signed off, pay admin fee

Again: just because it feels like it's under 95db to you doesn't mean it is actually 95db.

-alex

Edit: that part about other cars sounding louder than yours? Unless you have a decibel meter on-hand, able to measure precisely what their exhausts sound like, and able to replicate it in front of an officer... don't make assumptions. Your muffler delete may sound like the equal amount of "way worse" to the Honda drivers.

Last edited by mav1178; 03-07-2014 at 04:43 AM.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
Calidrifter (03-09-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 09:57 AM   #20
ZOMFGAARON
A Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS + BRZ View Post
You put a loud ass exhaust knowing it's illegal.

You were unlucky to get pulled over and get a ticket.

Man up and deal with it.

If you were a little more smart in driving around cops, you would have been alright.

I have tint on my front windows. If I ever get a ticket for it, I would remove it to take care of the ticket without crying. And probably re do the tint the next day.

Sent from my SCH-I605

Actually I had no idea it was illegal.
I figured since I've seen cars x10 louder id be fine. Just like the tint. Where I'm from I'm pretty sure this is legal. I'm not from California nor did the installer let me know that prior to installation/fabrication. I guess I should of read up on it more.

I never once stated i didn't man up to it. I admit I have a loud exhaust on my car I just feel as though I did not break 95 dbs which I've stated.

My windows are tinted as well and the installer clearly told me that it was illegal. Not once did I cry about it? I simply asked for options and in anyone had experienced something like this. You made an assumption that I was upset and crying about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS + BRZ View Post

This clearly states it averaged 93 DBS at 3000-5000 RPMs as stated previously I did not surpass that.
I drive an automatic frs it rarely passes that even while driving aggressively. I was rolling at a cruising speed of maybe 30-35 mph @3500 RPMs tops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
Do you know what 95db sounds like? Do you know how to measure it?

The old procedure to remedy exhaust tickets is outlined here:
http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_barresource...ise_levels.pdf

However, I believe the "Certificate of Compliance" part is gone now. You are best off contacting the law enforcement agency (most likely Industry Sheriff's Station) to figure out how to fix it.

As for state ref: http://asktheref.org/Services/Citati...2/Default.aspx

There's several fixes:

1) put back to stock, inspect, pay "fix-it" administrative fee
2) leave it as-is, pay the fine
3) have it inspected if you believe it to be under 95db, have ticket signed off, pay admin fee

Again: just because it feels like it's under 95db to you doesn't mean it is actually 95db.

-alex

Edit: that part about other cars sounding louder than yours? Unless you have a decibel meter on-hand, able to measure precisely what their exhausts sound like, and able to replicate it in front of an officer... don't make assumptions. Your muffler delete may sound like the equal amount of "way worse" to the Honda drivers.

Well from what I've read I have a good idea my car isn't as loud as some things listed on a google search about DBs but no I've never measured it.
Thanks for the info on a remedy to the problem.
Yeah me talking about the Hondas was a little uncalled for just upset.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:41 AM   #21
marky

Drives: 2020 BRZ tS #54
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
On my integra I got pulled over for a big exhaust HKS ti.. had it for like 3 yrs and one day pig wanted to pull me over for it.. was not loud at all and there was a honda fart can that passed by and he didnt fo anything..

500$+ ticket plus I had to smog/go to court and face a judge to plea guilty.. as a daily driver I have stocks and tips on my exhaust. . Thats California for you
marky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:00 PM   #22
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quote:
Well from what I've read I have a good idea my car isn't as loud as some things listed on a google search about DBs but no I've never measured it.
Thanks for the info on a remedy to the problem.
Yeah me talking about the Hondas was a little uncalled for just upset.
I understand it sucks to get a ticket. But instead of playing the victim, just accept the citation and fight it.

It's 2014, there's no reason why you can't find solutions to your problem online. If you just simply searched the vehicle code you were cited for, you'll find tons of other forums with car enthusiasts that complain about the exact same problem you just had.

In the end, the more you antagonize the police officer, the more they'll give you a hard time. Everyone hates on them when they get cited, but give them praise in times of need.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:01 PM   #23
bisdak

Drives: Scion FR-S Whiteout 6-MT
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Garage
dude just have it fixed and go back to stock, then have a sheriff or chp sign off on it, then pay the ticket... I have a berk tech non cat front pipe and muffler delete so my car is loud.. i just do go crazy on the surface streets not to draw attention.. but even being careful I still got pulled over 3 times already.. its just a fix it.. ticket is 20.. sign off from sheriff 17.. just pay bro..
Old 03-07-2014, 11:09 PM   #24
ZOMFGAARON
A Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisdak View Post
dude just have it fixed and go back to stock, then have a sheriff or chp sign off on it, then pay the ticket... I have a berk tech non cat front pipe and muffler delete so my car is loud.. i just do go crazy on the surface streets not to draw attention.. but even being careful I still got pulled over 3 times already.. its just a fix it.. ticket is 20.. sign off from sheriff 17.. just pay bro..

That's what I'm planning on doing. Only thing I'm worried about is them giving me a hard time at inspection for my window tint.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:26 PM   #25
Pekingduck

Drives: 4 wheels
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
It part of modify your car it comes with ticket. For having a modified car for almost 15 years in Rowland Heights, the local law enforcement has really calm down. When I was younger back in the early 2000's they were giving ticket for anything. Gosh i feel old...
Old 03-08-2014, 04:04 PM   #26
zlegend
yee

Drives: mehhhh i lost count.
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
That's what I'm planning on doing. Only thing I'm worried about is them giving me a hard time at inspection for my window tint.
when you go get your car inspected by the sheriff just roll down both your front windows. have the ticket sign, pay the fee and be on your way

on the ticket it should also say fix it or non fix it, a fix it is pretty much the best for anyone because itll only cost you 20 dollars and some work time.

I actually got a non fix it ticket for the exhaust and i had to pay 197 but didnt need to have someone inspect it.
zlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:00 PM   #27
Vincenttam
WtsTofu

Drives: Ultramarine fr-s
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Whatever you do to your car runs the risk of getting pulled over. Do you know how many of the people here are willing to pay multiple fix it tickets for no plate in the front? At the end of the day say your delete is legal and you pass all the tests, the next time you get pulled over again your just going to repeat all the processes. Show up to court and debate it. It's up to you on how much you love that delete. Are you willing to pay a fix it and show up to court every time to fight for it?
Vincenttam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:12 PM   #28
TJ3000

Drives: MT Raven Black FRS
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlegend View Post
when you go get your car inspected by the sheriff just roll down both your front windows. have the ticket sign, pay the fee and be on your way

on the ticket it should also say fix it or non fix it, a fix it is pretty much the best for anyone because itll only cost you 20 dollars and some work time.

I actually got a non fix it ticket for the exhaust and i had to pay 197 but didnt need to have someone inspect it.
That's actually correct I had a MK3 Supra with an exhaust and they gave me a ticket and it was a non fix it ticket. Pay the fine and be on your way
TJ3000 is offline   Reply With Quote