follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 07-04-2012, 09:58 AM   #43
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,520 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
Are you 100% sure.

Does your insurance company openly know that you participate in a "race event" on the weekends?
I see no need to tell them. Over ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND people AutoX at SCCA events and I'm sure most have regular car insurance. I don't see a problem. Insurance companies will deny claims if the car is damaged in a competitive environment. But just because you ran an AutoX a month ago doesn't mean you aren't covered for a fender bender today. You aren't going to be put on some ominous insurance blacklist for attending an AutoX.

You're making this much more difficult than it needs to be.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #44
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco-REX View Post
I see no need to tell them. Over ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND people AutoX at SCCA events and I'm sure most have regular car insurance. I don't see a problem. Insurance companies will deny claims if the car is damaged in a competitive environment. But just because you ran an AutoX a month ago doesn't mean you aren't covered for a fender bender today. You aren't going to be put on some ominous insurance blacklist for attending an AutoX.

You're making this much more difficult than it needs to be.
i'm a worst case scenario type of guy

as registrar for ontario time attack i will not downplay the importance of understanding all aspects of grassroots racing, particularly with daily driven vehicles.

I don't want some body getting into trouble and then coming to us telling that we didn't warn them about this or that thing, cuz you always get that one person that feels the shit they do is somehow the fault of someone else.

i don't know what your experiences are, but have you ever organized a race event and spent years sitting on the committees that discuss rule and policy changes that are updated yearly?

trust me, when i started i just thought the whole thing was about having fun, but the more you're in on the admin side of things the more you realize how quickly and horribly something can go wrong.

Last edited by 7thgear; 07-04-2012 at 10:30 AM.
7thgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:06 AM   #45
Spaztastik

Drives: Raven Fr-s -- daily drifter
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Not exactly an autocross, but I already signed up to take my frs out for its first drift event this friday

Keepin the car all stock for this event to get a feel for it before I start messing it up with all that coilover, sway bar, control arm, wide wheels silly stuff

But really, I generally reccomend anyone with a new car to take it to a track day of some sort to get a feel for it at the limit, just like the op said. Its kindof like throwin darts blindfolded to modify a car when you dont even know where it needs improvement yet.
Spaztastik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:28 PM   #46
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,520 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
I'm clear on how things can go. I'm one of the organizers for the OVR RallyX program, and I'll likely become chair of the program in a year or two when the current one becomes burnt out.

For road course racing, insurance is definitely an issue as mistakes have a much higher consequence. But in AutoX I really see it as a non-issue. Stuff Happens, true. But when someone races they have to expect to handle any wear and tear that occurs due to it. And with today's engines, catastrophic failure in an AutoX environment is practically unheard-of if it's properly maintained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
i'm a worst case scenario type of guy

as registrar for ontario time attack i will not downplay the importance of understanding all aspects of grassroots racing, particularly with daily driven vehicles.

I don't want some body getting into trouble and then coming to us telling that we didn't warn them about this or that thing, cuz you always get that one person that feels the shit they do is somehow the fault of someone else.

i don't know what your experiences are, but have you ever organized a race event and spent years sitting on the committees that discuss rule and policy changes that are updated yearly?

trust me, when i started i just thought the whole thing was about having fun, but the more you're in on the admin side of things the more you realize how quickly and horribly something can go wrong.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:08 PM   #47
Boxer 86
I ♥ My Spinning Triangles

Drives: 1989 Mazda RX-7 GTU
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I am in total agreement with the OP. LEARN how to drive your car, then learn how your car drives, then make the necessary adjustments as you wish. Rule of thumb is to drive your car bone stock for the first year, that way you improve your driving, and not keep re-learning how to drive your car. I have one event under my belt now, and it was an eye opener. I was slower than I expected and the car really rolls in corners. (granted I was using bald tires, broken outer tie rods, and a multitude of other things). What have I done since that event? I got new tires and new outer tie rods.

It is easy to make your car better, and even easier to make it worse. My best advice? TAKE ADVICE. Learn from the people that have been doing it for a long time, and listen to what they have to say. Don't mod the car mindlessly because you think it needs it or you want a certain look (looking at you, stance hipsters). If it doesn't need it, don't do it.

extra: a few pics showing how much my car rolls in corners, which next year I will take care of. for now though, 100% OEM

compared to

Old 07-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #48
cmspooner

Drives: 2013 SWP Limited BRZ - Manual
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Just to let New Englanders know SCCNH is holding a autocross school on August 11th and then an event on the 12th.
cmspooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:27 AM   #49
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,282 Times in 2,968 Posts
Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Bump. Weather is getting nicer, you should all go have fun driving your car hard and legal.

- Andy
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:57 PM   #50
Kido1986
Dodging cones

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited, 93 Z28
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Now it's getting too hot in this shithole of a state lol
Originally Posted by mrbillclintong View Post
If you guys spot any riced frs/brz post them here just for laughs no hating please.
Isn't there already a thread like this? It's called aggressive wheels or summat...
C Street Build/Progress Questions about C Street Autocrossing?
Kido1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:08 PM   #51
J_kennington

Drives: 2013 asphalt scion FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazarite View Post
Any GA guys involved/wanna get started in this? Never occurred to me that this is a cheap alternative to track days, sounds like a lot of fun.
Do we have any of these in GA? I would be interested at least in one or two. And I know my buddy was talking about wanting to do an autox with his frs as well
2005 Yamaha yz250f
J_kennington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:15 PM   #52
8R6

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,338 Times in 746 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
autox humbles people.

ive been driving for almost 20yrs and always thought of myself as a decent driver. went to my first autox event a couple months ago and was blown away at how much im not a decent driver. LOL
Old 04-29-2014, 04:27 PM   #53
Propaganda
Diamonds & Cadillacs

Drives: '13 fr-s, 1974 911s
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRGT86 View Post
autox humbles people.

ive been driving for almost 20yrs and always thought of myself as a decent driver. went to my first autox event a couple months ago and was blown away at how much im not a decent driver. LOL
I would have to agree to this. I have invited many of my "car" friends out....only to successfully persuade one or two of which consistently go with me now. Out of the several I've asked, two have actually totaled their cars on public roads ... Just furthers the evidence that most people think they are a good driver, which does not correlate to actual skill...

The last autocross I did (and subsequent ones) was on all seasons since I ran out of money to go through sticky tires... I did better than I was expecting, but it was still disappointing to me, because I know that the car had so much more potential. So I was getting beaten by people I should have beaten. Haha... so it still can go the other way as well
Propaganda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Propaganda For This Useful Post:
8R6 (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 04:43 PM   #54
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,282 Times in 2,968 Posts
Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_kennington View Post
Do we have any of these in GA? I would be interested at least in one or two. And I know my buddy was talking about wanting to do an autox with his frs as well
Check your local forum here or on nasioc. Also check the SCCA website.

My area has a local club that is less intense than SCCA events and great for newbies. But SCCA events are great too.

- Andy
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:08 PM   #55
Kido1986
Dodging cones

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited, 93 Z28
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_kennington View Post

There is a VERY active Atlanta region. Also, a national tour coming through the weekend of the 18th. Come play or just hang out all day Fri, Sat and Sunday at Turner Field (free to spectate)
Originally Posted by mrbillclintong View Post
If you guys spot any riced frs/brz post them here just for laughs no hating please.
Isn't there already a thread like this? It's called aggressive wheels or summat...
C Street Build/Progress Questions about C Street Autocrossing?
Kido1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:10 PM   #56
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
@Racecomp Engineering, question for you:

For someone's first autocross (I'm asking for a friend, I promise...) what prep do you suggest? The standard suggestion for HDPE is upgraded pads, fluid, and possibly tires. Does that still hold true for autox, with the much shorter tracks and run times? Or can one go out on OEM pads and fluid and be just fine?
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
Kido1986 (04-29-2014)