follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List
CSG Mike, gramicci101, grant86, GrimmSpeed, JDLAutoDesign, JRitt, KCMachine, King Tut, MillersOilsUS, PERRIN, phastafrican, Racecomp Engineering, Raceseng, Roadcone, Sportsguy83, UltramarineLuck, VerusEric, Wonderbar, Xero-Limit

Old 07-02-2014, 09:54 AM   #1023
aLaFleur

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Gorgeous car man! I'm jealous of those coils!
Old 07-02-2014, 03:14 PM   #1024
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CenCali86 View Post
Damn your car looks good!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aLaFleur View Post
Gorgeous car man! I'm jealous of those coils!

ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:37 PM   #1025
MicheleAbbate

Drives: Grr Racing FRS & BRZ
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to MicheleAbbate
Very valuable info here. Thanks for the link. With more testing perhaps we will have a better reference to this topic. Thanks dude!
ATL BRZ (07-02-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 03:41 PM   #1026
srizzors25
Daedalus Moto

Drives: 05 LGT Wagon, 08 R6 Race Bike
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Your diffuser is so cool I really want that ha. not generally a black car fan but that looks really good
Old 07-02-2014, 11:03 PM   #1027
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by srizzors25 View Post
Your diffuser is so cool I really want that ha. not generally a black car fan but that looks really good
Thanks! My first two 944's were black and I've grown to love the Crystal Black Silica these cars come with. It really sparkles in strong sunlight and looks a million miles deep in incandescent light.

Check out Driveway Labs to get a diffuser. They have two different types to choose from now.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:35 AM   #1028
Ganthrithor

Drives: '13 BRZ, '06 997, Other Things(TM)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I feel like I owe you a beer for beta testing so many of the parts I'm considering purchasing. Want to try a Hancha splitter and Innovate supercharger kit next? :P
Ganthrithor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ganthrithor For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (07-04-2014)
Old 07-04-2014, 10:13 AM   #1029
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganthrithor View Post
I feel like I owe you a beer for beta testing so many of the parts I'm considering purchasing. Want to try a Hancha splitter and Innovate supercharger kit next? :P
Beer is welcomed

I'd like to see how the race version of the Hancha splitter looks and I may consider it. Innovate SC has had enough beta testers for me to know that I don't want it. It's a time consuming, relatively complex install, it heat soaks too much on track even when intercooled, and it doesn't make much peak whp in the upper RPM range. I've heard of issues with owners having difficulty tuning out tip in knock and at least one blower failure. I'm also not a big fan of the whine.

If and when I go FI it will almost certainly be the Jackson Racing SC. Simplistic design, easy install, runs quieter and cooler than any other FI kit, and it delivers all its power and tq up top in a linear fashion. Since it's inception the JRSC kit has given owners literally zero issues to date. I haven't seen any other kit better suited to my application.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:23 AM   #1030
Ganthrithor

Drives: '13 BRZ, '06 997, Other Things(TM)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
Beer is welcomed

I'd like to see how the race version of the Hancha splitter looks and I may consider it. Innovate SC has had enough beta testers for me to know that I don't want it. It's a time consuming, relatively complex install, it heat soaks too much on track even when intercooled, and it doesn't make much peak whp in the upper RPM range. I've heard of issues with owners having difficulty tuning out tip in knock and at least one blower failure. I'm also not a big fan of the whine.

If and when I go FI it will almost certainly be the Jackson Racing SC. Simplistic design, easy install, runs quieter and cooler than any other FI kit, and it delivers all its power and tq up top in a linear fashion. Since it's inception the JRSC kit has given owners literally zero issues to date. I haven't seen any other kit better suited to my application.
Guess which was the other SC kit I was looking at :3

I'm kind of torn on the idea of going FI on this car. On the one hand, more torque would be nice. On the other hand, FI kits are expensive, I'd be worried about DI seal failure and the possibility of having to shell out for a new engine if anything goes wrong, and I feel like the car might end up feeling too fast for the road. There's something nice about having to work to squeeze speed out of the car.

Honestly I don't know that I see myself going FI even after my powertrain warranty expires. I think you're on the right track just shaving off as much un-sprung weight as possible and tweaking the handling.

It's just nice to get your opinion on these sorts of parts because A) it's not the kind of modification that most owners are going to make, and B) it takes a better than average driver to give useful feedback on the differences these kinds of changes make.

Out of curiosity, do you guys have many twisty, bumpy roads out there in Georgia? Here in SoCal we've got a lot of great driving roads, but road surfaces can be very poor at times and can really make the car struggle for grip in places. I'm kind of curious how the weight reduction from that AP brake kit affects traction on lumpy surfaces. So far the best car I've driven on our roads out here has been a Lotus Elise with lightweight two-piece rotors and some kind of ridiculous ~10lb wheels... that car just feels like it floats over road imperfections and grips like mad the whole time. When I run my car over the same roads the car gets much more upset. There was a noticeable improvement over stock when I changed wheels (-5lbs/corner), so I assume the brake kit would improve things even more?
Ganthrithor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ganthrithor For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (07-04-2014)
Old 07-04-2014, 03:22 PM   #1031
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganthrithor View Post
Out of curiosity, do you guys have many twisty, bumpy roads out there in Georgia? Here in SoCal we've got a lot of great driving roads, but road surfaces can be very poor at times and can really make the car struggle for grip in places. I'm kind of curious how the weight reduction from that AP brake kit affects traction on lumpy surfaces. So far the best car I've driven on our roads out here has been a Lotus Elise with lightweight two-piece rotors and some kind of ridiculous ~10lb wheels... that car just feels like it floats over road imperfections and grips like mad the whole time. When I run my car over the same roads the car gets much more upset. There was a noticeable improvement over stock when I changed wheels (-5lbs/corner), so I assume the brake kit would improve things even more?
There's plenty of twisty and bumpy roads in North Georgia around the mountains which can easily unsettle a car without caution.

I haven't done much spirited driving in the car yet since installing the coilovers and BBK. It does feel firm but a little more supple when adjusted to comfort settings due to the dampers being more responsive and faster. The weight reduction and better ride from both kinda compounds together and the car feels nimble as ever. I'll have much more appreciable feedback to give after my next track day in a few weeks.

I'm glad you're getting valuable feedback from my build so far. I've really enjoyed keeping this journal and engaging with the community here.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
chanomatik (07-05-2014), Ganthrithor (07-04-2014), OICU812 (07-04-2014)
Old 07-07-2014, 04:48 PM   #1032
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Losing some weight soon! Just ordered the Kinetic Custom Machine aluminum battery tray and Shorai LFX battery from @KCMachine.

6.75 pounds total installed weight.

The stock battery weighs about 30 pounds which means I'll be dropping about 23 pounds, or close to 1% of the car's weight.

Last edited by ATL BRZ; 07-12-2014 at 02:38 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
KCMachine (07-07-2014), mokinbird87 (07-28-2014)
Old 07-07-2014, 04:56 PM   #1033
ToyoburuBRZ

Drives: Black BRZ
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Losing some weight soon! Just ordered the Kinetic Custom Machine aluminum battery tray and Shorai 6.75 pound battery from @KCMachine. 7 pounds installed weight.

The stock battery weighs about 30 pounds which means I'll be dropping about 23 pounds, or close to 1% of the car's weight.
Nice! I used to run these in an FSAE car. Make sure you watch your voltage with these though. If it drops below 12.8V the battery is basically toast.
ToyoburuBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToyoburuBRZ For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (07-07-2014)
Old 07-07-2014, 05:55 PM   #1034
KCMachine

Drives: 92 NSX
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyoburuBRZ View Post
Nice! I used to run these in an FSAE car. Make sure you watch your voltage with these though. If it drops below 12.8V the battery is basically toast.
It is definitely crucial to not overdischarge the battery, but I've also been torture testing mine for scientific purposes and have brought the voltage down to 4v and was able to revive it using the Shorai dedicated charger. Just some random info!
KCMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KCMachine For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (07-08-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 01:36 PM   #1035
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCMachine View Post
It is definitely crucial to not overdischarge the battery, but I've also been torture testing mine for scientific purposes and have brought the voltage down to 4v and was able to revive it using the Shorai dedicated charger. Just some random info!
Interesting data and findings about the battery! I've read several other good reviews about it being able to hold a charge over multiple weeks just fine. I don't plan on over-discharging the battery but the car sometimes sits in the garage for a week, rarely two weeks but never much longer than that. In the rare case I ever find it to be weakened over time past it's cranking ability I have 450 amp jump box/compressor in my garage to get it started and then go on a drive to recharge.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:55 PM   #1036
Lawn_Mower

Drives: GTI, BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
No, I didn't. They left them at the bottom. I talked to the tech about it and he wasn't sure maxing out the caster would be noticeable on track or beneficial. I may do it myself but I'm worried it would throw off the front toe again.
It would mess with your toe more than likely, that being said, the biggest improvement on our Audi's (at my old job) that we were tracking was adding in a couple degrees of camber and as much caster as we could. I'm not sure how this car would respond having a completely different suspension setup, but I imagine the affects would be similar.
Lawn_Mower is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lawn_Mower For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (07-08-2014)

Tags
jdl turbo, mazworx, racecomp engineering, track build, verus engineering