follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 05-29-2015, 12:00 PM   #29
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Just run regular E10, run it long enough the E85 is out of the tank, and drop in a bit of Stabil, you'll be fine.

I've literally let E10 gas sit in a project car for a year, when we were done, we topped it off and took it to the track, ran fine with no problems.

The E10 thing is blown WAY out of proportion.
I've seen it happen with aircraft deicing trucks that run on biodiesel and sit all summer long. Before they could be used again they all had to have their fuel systems completely torn down and cleaned out or they wouldn't run properly. Or at all. Granted, biodiesel probably has a different ethanol content, but you'd think that at some point mission effectiveness would come before saving the environment. Stupid Air Force...
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 05:47 PM   #30
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
I've seen it happen with aircraft deicing trucks that run on biodiesel and sit all summer long. Before they could be used again they all had to have their fuel systems completely torn down and cleaned out or they wouldn't run properly. Or at all. Granted, biodiesel probably has a different ethanol content, but you'd think that at some point mission effectiveness would come before saving the environment. Stupid Air Force...
Biodiesel is a markedly different composition from regular ol' e10 petrol.. comprised of monoalkyl esters of long-chain fatty acids (derived from vegetable oils or animal fats/parts)

Not sure how this stacks up to breaking down in reality but I'd imagine they would be much different
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 05:50 PM   #31
Koa
Sweeper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
Biodiesel is a markedly different composition from regular ol' e10 petrol.. comprised of monoalkyl esters of long-chain fatty acids (derived from vegetable oils or animal fats/parts)

Not sure how this stacks up to breaking down in reality but I'd imagine they would be much different. @Ultramaroon @stugray @cdrazic93 any thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
I think you are asking about letting your car sit for long periods of time. The old saying is: "change your oil every 3 months or three thousand miles." It is up to you.
bad advice in this day and age.. blackstone reports, provided by many users on this site alone, are noting that the healthy change interval on our fa20's seem to be closer to 8-10k.

send in your next 2-3 oil changes for analysis to their labs and they will let you know themselves, with a cutting edge analysis to back it up
The Following User Says Thank You to Koa For This Useful Post:
stugray (05-30-2015)
Old 05-30-2015, 08:12 PM   #32
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,622 Times in 18,984 Posts
Mentioned: 1109 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
I think with the biodiesel it's more the vegetable oil varnishing just like gasoline, no? I don't think it's the alcohol.

Yes, ethanol is corrosive but fuel system components have been designed to take into account the change in the formula for many years now.

The custom fuel system on our Formula SAE car had all manner of handmade billet aluminum parts which would have been fine for e0 and maybe e10, dunno. But the whole system was ruined after sitting over winter with e85 in it. Every component had become wedged shut with thick aluminum hydroxide mucus.

It was tragic.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:06 PM   #33
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post

Not sure how this stacks up to breaking down in reality but I'd imagine they would be much different. @Ultramaroon @stugray @cdrazic93 any thoughts?
Biodiesel is just another hydrocarbon chain, like ethanol, petrol and methanol.

A quick search comes up with the formula for biodiesel which is C19H36O2, this is the methyl version, C19. The ethyl version is C20H40O2.

the burn is a combusion reaction style of formula (using C19) gives us;

C19H36O2 + O2 yields CO2 and H2O.

balance it out, then double it because combustion reactions suck, gives us;

C19H36O2 + 27O2 yielding 19CO2 + 18H2O.

Another search shows me that Biodiesel creates 2.5 kg of CO2 vs 3.2 kg of regular diesel. The only draw back is the energy created from the combustion, Bio has less energy then the petrol diesel, upping its CO2 kg output. Not enough to make it more pollutant than regular, but Id want to use Methyl biodiesel rather than ethyl biodiesel. Ethyl produces slightly more CO2 kg than the Methyl C19 chain.

The awesome sauce? (haha, becuase vegitable oil, biodiesel...ok ill shut up)

This is vegitable oil.

This is Biodiesel.

The Ester chain is what makes vegetable oil run in diesels, of which some rubber lines have to be replaced because of biodiesels soft permeating nature.

aaaand /Fin

dinner time.

P.S. for the actual car, use av gas. I watch chasing classic cars too much to not realize how many times Wayne has found an old ass car full of av gas and it starts right up.
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh

Last edited by cdrazic93; 05-30-2015 at 11:09 PM. Reason: didnt even read what was being quoted really...oh well.
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdrazic93 For This Useful Post:
Koa (05-31-2015), ricky rod (05-31-2015)
Old 05-31-2015, 11:15 AM   #34
Koa
Sweeper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrazic93 View Post
Biodiesel is just another hydrocarbon chain, like ethanol, petrol and methanol.

A quick search comes up with the formula for biodiesel which is C19H36O2, this is the methyl version, C19. The ethyl version is C20H40O2.

the burn is a combusion reaction style of formula (using C19) gives us;

C19H36O2 + O2 yields CO2 and H2O.

balance it out, then double it because combustion reactions suck, gives us;

C19H36O2 + 27O2 yielding 19CO2 + 18H2O.

Another search shows me that Biodiesel creates 2.5 kg of CO2 vs 3.2 kg of regular diesel. The only draw back is the energy created from the combustion, Bio has less energy then the petrol diesel, upping its CO2 kg output. Not enough to make it more pollutant than regular, but Id want to use Methyl biodiesel rather than ethyl biodiesel. Ethyl produces slightly more CO2 kg than the Methyl C19 chain.

The awesome sauce? (haha, becuase vegitable oil, biodiesel...ok ill shut up)

This is vegitable oil.

This is Biodiesel.

The Ester chain is what makes vegetable oil run in diesels, of which some rubber lines have to be replaced because of biodiesels soft permeating nature.

aaaand /Fin

dinner time.

P.S. for the actual car, use av gas. I watch chasing classic cars too much to not realize how many times Wayne has found an old ass car full of av gas and it starts right up.
cdrazic93 (05-31-2015)
Old 05-31-2015, 11:32 AM   #35
cdrazic93
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post
Besides being a car junky ive always been one for chemistry haha
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
The Following User Says Thank You to cdrazic93 For This Useful Post:
Koa (05-31-2015)
Old 05-31-2015, 11:36 AM   #36
Koa
Sweeper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrazic93 View Post
Besides being a car junky ive always been one for chemistry haha
I got a D+ in Principles II. B+ in 101 at UW. After that I changed major to CS/Finance

Go fucking figure looool
cdrazic93 (05-31-2015)
Old 05-31-2015, 11:49 AM   #37
cdrazic93
Junior

The awkward thing is i got a D+ in both 101 and 105 lol
The Following User Says Thank You to cdrazic93 For This Useful Post:
Koa (06-01-2015)
Old 06-19-2015, 04:10 PM   #38
HimBRZ

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Recently removed the fuel lines on a car that sat with fuel in 'em for 30+ years. Not sure what the cutoff would be, but what came out of these lines and was in the tank was closer to tar than gas. Definitely try to keep the fuel in the tank low and use Stabil.
HimBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote