follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 06-21-2024, 03:46 PM   #1
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,023 Times in 342 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Gen 1 wheel touch up paint?

Greetings everyone, reviving an old question - has anyone found a decent touch up paint for the Gen 1 gray wheels?

I've tried a few off the shelf colors but none are close enough. Dealer claims to not have it. I blend colors, with mixed results.

Thank you!
AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2024, 02:03 PM   #2
AnalogMan

I've been experimenting with trying to find a touch up paint for my 2019 wheels, to touch up minor curb rash. So far I can mostly tell you what doesn't work.

A while back someone posted that a 'dark satin grey' wheel touch up paint from Amazon was a decent match. It isn't. It looks terrible, obvious from 10 ft away. Darker and flatter than the wheel finish, dries to a matte finish. Avoid.

Ford J7 Magnetic is better, but too dark, and has a touch of brown in it.

Toyota 1G3 Magnetic Gray isn't too awful, but still too dark.

The best results I've had were with mixing Toyota 1G3 2:1 with a Ford Color, AFM0236 (also paint codes YN, D1, and 14), charcoal silver metallic. When I get the mix and blend of those two just right it looks pretty good. But it's a pain to mix tiny amounts of paint from touch-up bottles and apply it fast enough before it dries and gets too lumpy to smoothly brush on.

MBI Auto in Grand rapids Michigan sells 1 oz plastic bottles of touch up paint on Amazon for a very reasonable $8 (compared with $22 for 0.25 oz for DupliColor at most car parts stores). I've asked him if he could mix up a touch up paint to match the wheels. If you feel so inclined you could send him a note or call to let him know if you're interested. The more people who ask about BRZ wheel touch up paint, maybe the better the chances he'll make a batch.

I'd love to hear about anyone else's experiences and if anyone has found a decent match, especially in a single color that doesn't require mixing.
Old 07-09-2024, 12:46 PM   #3
AnalogMan

Some more failed experimental results... a local Subaru dealer suggested using a Subaru paint, 'Dark Grey Metallic.' Nope. Poor match.

I called Subaru USA, they said there's no color code but said a Mazda color, 'Meteor Gray Metallic' was a reasonable match. Again no, another poor match.

I'm going back to mixing Toyota Magnetic Gray with some Ford Charcoal Silver Metallic. I'll try to quantify how much of each makes the best match and will post what I find.

The search continues...
Old 07-10-2024, 02:12 PM   #4
AnalogMan

OK, the final report on trying to find a paint that matches the wheels of the 2019 BRZ (I assume the colors are the same through the years).

No luck in trying to find a single color paint that is even a half-way close match to the wheel color. The closest I could come (to my eyes) is mixing Toyota 1G3 Magnetic Gray with Ford Color AFM0236 Charcoal Silver Metallic, in roughly a 2:1 ratio Toyota:Ford paint.

MBI Auto sells on Amazon small containers of paints in plastic touch-up bottles -

https://www.amazon.com/sp?ie=UTF8&se..._merchant_link

I'd start by adding 1/3 of the container of Ford paint to the Toyota container (they come less than half filled, plenty of room), try it for a match, then add a little at a time up to about 2:1 ratio (half the Ford paint). The result is a blended paint ready to go in a small bottle with a touch-up brush built into the top.

It's NOT a perfect match - far from it - but it's closer than any single paint I've tried.

I'd love to hear about anyone else's experiences, surely someone else can come up with something better (and easier and cheaper than paying a shop to repaint all 4 wheels just to fix minor curb rash).
Attached Images