follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 09-06-2024, 05:34 PM   #1
amaurya

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question BRZ passenger window clicking when rolled up all the way

Hello all,

I’m not sure when this started but my 2016 BRZ passenger side window clicks when it’s rolled up all the way (see linked video). It happens when rolling the window up with the buttons or when the window goes up slightly after closing the door. The window seems to be working fine but I’d like to get to the bottom of the sound. I believe it’s probably the motor or actuator but I’m not sure if this is a quick fix or something that would require replacing.

Thank you in advance!

https://youtube.com/shorts/mwEzf4xHi...CFeR13Cimf-eVZ
amaurya is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to amaurya For This Useful Post:
humfrz (09-06-2024)
Old 09-06-2024, 09:10 PM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 32,202 Times in 16,572 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaurya View Post
Hello all,

I’m not sure when this started but my 2016 BRZ passenger side window clicks when it’s rolled up all the way (see linked video). It happens when rolling the window up with the buttons or when the window goes up slightly after closing the door. The window seems to be working fine but I’d like to get to the bottom of the sound. I believe it’s probably the motor or actuator but I’m not sure if this is a quick fix or something that would require replacing.

Thank you in advance!

https://youtube.com/shorts/mwEzf4xHi...CFeR13Cimf-eVZ
Well, it's supposed to sort of click - once.

Maybe the window is sticking and triggering the switch. You might try cleaning the window glass on the inside and outside. If that don't help try cleaning the window channels.

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2024, 04:03 PM   #3
Ultramaroon
extra what?

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,824 Times in 19,090 Posts
Mentioned: 1111 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Not only normal, but perfect. When mine was new, I spent hours aligning the window mechanisms - both doors.

If something was amiss, you would hear two clicks as the window unevenly reached one hard-stop before the other (front-rear)
Old 09-19-2024, 01:59 PM   #4
amaurya

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Not only normal, but perfect. When mine was new, I spent hours aligning the window mechanisms - both doors.

If something was amiss, you would hear two clicks as the window unevenly reached one hard-stop before the other (front-rear)
Different than the two clicks in the video? The driver side doesn’t make any clicking when it rolls up, just the sound of it returning to full height. The passenger side, shown in the video, makes a series of clicks when returned to the max position.

Would you mind sharing any documentation on the alignment process you mentioned?
amaurya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2024, 05:06 PM   #5
Ultramaroon
extra what?

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,824 Times in 19,090 Posts
Mentioned: 1111 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
On the one that doesn't click, with the door open, depress the switch in the sill to get the window up as it would when closed. Notice the click? Maybe it doesn't click because the hard stops are allowing the window to jam hard into the rubber. I'm guessing here.

service manuals linked in my sig. It's a mind-blowing puzzle of asymmetry where all adjustments affect each other in counterintuitive ways. There's no substitute for cracking it open. By carefully with a razor gently tugging and slicing, the vapor barrier can be peeled away and reused.

Pro tips: First make one adjustment at a time and test. Know exactly how to back out each change before making another. This especially holds when later chaining adjustments to a target.

Check the freedom of the glass midway. Make sure the adjustment doesn't cause the glass to rub hard into those felt wipers.

Last edited by Ultramaroon; 09-19-2024 at 05:21 PM.
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ultramaroon For This Useful Post:
humfrz (09-19-2024)
Old 09-19-2024, 10:53 PM   #6
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 32,202 Times in 16,572 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaurya View Post
Hello all,

Thank you in advance!

Hi ya amaurya -

Over my 80 years of messing with automobiles, I found out that sometimes stuff just ain't worth worrying about. The passenger side window clicking when it closes, would be one of those things -
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (09-20-2024)