follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 04-08-2014, 12:59 AM   #4159
waterbison777

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Small world! I was there both days driving the silver cayman s and pitted along with my friends who drove the exige, e46 m3, Evo vii and Lemons racecar (miata). I should have come by and said hi
I definitely saw you and all your friends on track. If only I'd known! I'll be sure to look for those same cars at future track events.
waterbison777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:06 AM   #4160
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,417 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
Thanks for this. It's enlightening.
No probs, saw it posted on Autoblog today. Good stuff.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:07 AM   #4161
waterbison777

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
Yeah,

Sounds like for your application the Phantom really doesn't fit the bill. You need a turbocharger.

Of course a turbo is a lot more expensive, a lot more complicated and could potentially explode you're engine.

So,
If you're putting the Phantom up for sale, I'm interested.
Imagine a dual parallel ESC!
Haha! Or I can stick with NA on the track and use the ESC as a daily! The swap is so straightforward with the ESC systems integration and OFT.

But sure, I'll entertain the idea. PM me an offer and we'll see!
waterbison777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:16 AM   #4162
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Ok is it really that expensive? (The racing school, license and etc) Not sure I can afford it at this moment.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:27 AM   #4163
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,417 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Ok is it really that expensive? (The racing school, license and etc) Not sure I can afford it at this moment.
Consumables can be expensive (tires, brakes, fluids). Early on you can HDPE for very little (the instruction part). There are a lot of low cost beginner days like @Moto-P Moto Miwa's 86 DD academy, Speedventures, etc (I,m sure the group here can recommend many many more).

If you want to AutoX this is also reasonable, as I understand it, once again the costs are mostly in consumables.

To get a racing license, NASA can be less expensive than SCCA because you can use NASAs HDPE route. Remember, these costs are spread over time. You don't have to do it all at once. If you want to get a license over a weekend, then the costs climb somewhat. If you want to use a school that provides the cars, the costs climb dramatically. The link above walks through most of the process.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:51 AM   #4164
nlowell

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Full throttle Electric Supercharger Build Thread

Quote:

This article is not my experience at all. First off, its important to know what your objectives are. Are you going to the track to race competitively or are you going to the track to just "race"?

HPDE is, in my opinion, for people who want to experience going really fast (as fast as you want or are able to) around a track filled with other cars and drivers who are also wanting to drive fast. The people that are on the track with you "should" be of the relative same driving skill and comfort as you. This is done by the different HPDE classes in NASA.

HPDE1 and 2 run together. The only difference is that HPDE1s have an instructor in the car 100% of the time and with HPDE2 its not mandatory. Passing is only allowed in the main straights and point-bys are highly recommended (the front driver acknowledges they are letting you pass).

HPDE3 is the next level of driver and opens up passing to more areas
HPDE4 is the top HPDE level.
HPDE3 and 4 sometimes run together and sometimes run separately.

In HPDE they don't track your time or your "place". If you want to compete with time, then that is the TimeTrial group. If you want to race for position, then that is the official "race" groups. Those require race class, sign-offs, lots of seat time, and are more expensive. It is also a lot more serious racing. I will never "race" my FRS but I will drive it as fast as I can in HPDE and have a blast doing it. I will still unofficially compete but it will be against my own time or I will group up with some new friends and run with them to try to better my lines and push myself to do better. I like running behind a faster car because it forces me to try better lines in the corners to balance my lack of power in the straights. (the ESC helps in the straights though!)

IF (and thats a big IF) you want to officially race then you have to get your official race license.

HPDE costs ~$140 per day and you get 4-20 minute sessions each day (generally) plus instruction from the group leader that generally lasts 3 hours in different sessions. Since it is not "officially" racing and is more "instructional", some insurance companies "may" cover damage on the track. I purchase supplemental track insurance just in case. That costs ~$135 for the weekend. Full replacement costs minus a 10% deductible.

Most of the tracks in SoCal are wide open so if you run off or overdrive your car you just spin off in the dirt. Usually no harm, no foul. I've been to 4 HPDE days so far (~5 1/2 hours of track time) and haven't gone off yet (knock on wood). My first HPDE there was a brand new Cayman who spun off and hit the one thing possible to hit, the concrete flag tower. He totaled the Cayman, had track insurance, and I hear now tracks his new Evo10.

In summary - for $280 (or ~$425) you get 1 (or 2) days at the track with lots of professional help and friendly people to go fast with. Much better than when I used to pay $50 for 180 seconds of autocrossing.

My 3 cents. Sorry - back on topic - Phantom ESC...I'm determined to get it to last all 20 minutes of track time...can't wait to hear about the upgrade options coming up!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2014, 09:38 AM   #4165
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlowell View Post
This article is not my experience at all. First off, its important to know what your objectives are. Are you going to the track to race competitively or are you going to the track to just "race"?

HPDE is, in my opinion, for people who want to experience going really fast (as fast as you want or are able to) around a track filled with other cars and drivers who are also wanting to drive fast. The people that are on the track with you "should" be of the relative same driving skill and comfort as you. This is done by the different HPDE classes in NASA.

HPDE1 and 2 run together. The only difference is that HPDE1s have an instructor in the car 100% of the time and with HPDE2 its not mandatory. Passing is only allowed in the main straights and point-bys are highly recommended (the front driver acknowledges they are letting you pass).

HPDE3 is the next level of driver and opens up passing to more areas
HPDE4 is the top HPDE level.
HPDE3 and 4 sometimes run together and sometimes run separately.

In HPDE they don't track your time or your "place". If you want to compete with time, then that is the TimeTrial group. If you want to race for position, then that is the official "race" groups. Those require race class, sign-offs, lots of seat time, and are more expensive. It is also a lot more serious racing. I will never "race" my FRS but I will drive it as fast as I can in HPDE and have a blast doing it. I will still unofficially compete but it will be against my own time or I will group up with some new friends and run with them to try to better my lines and push myself to do better. I like running behind a faster car because it forces me to try better lines in the corners to balance my lack of power in the straights. (the ESC helps in the straights though!)

IF (and thats a big IF) you want to officially race then you have to get your official race license.

HPDE costs ~$140 per day and you get 4-20 minute sessions each day (generally) plus instruction from the group leader that generally lasts 3 hours in different sessions. Since it is not "officially" racing and is more "instructional", some insurance companies "may" cover damage on the track. I purchase supplemental track insurance just in case. That costs ~$135 for the weekend. Full replacement costs minus a 10% deductible.

Most of the tracks in SoCal are wide open so if you run off or overdrive your car you just spin off in the dirt. Usually no harm, no foul. I've been to 4 HPDE days so far (~5 1/2 hours of track time) and haven't gone off yet (knock on wood). My first HPDE there was a brand new Cayman who spun off and hit the one thing possible to hit, the concrete flag tower. He totaled the Cayman, had track insurance, and I hear now tracks his new Evo10.

In summary - for $280 (or ~$425) you get 1 (or 2) days at the track with lots of professional help and friendly people to go fast with. Much better than when I used to pay $50 for 180 seconds of autocrossing.

My 3 cents. Sorry - back on topic - Phantom ESC...I'm determined to get it to last all 20 minutes of track time...can't wait to hear about the upgrade options coming up!

What about the licensing etc?

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Old 04-08-2014, 10:31 AM   #4166
nlowell

All you need is a safe car and a drivers license (and a little money)

Old 04-08-2014, 10:49 AM   #4167
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlowell View Post
All you need is a safe car and a drivers license (and a little money)

Hey I sent you a pm.

Installed Mods:
Old 04-08-2014, 11:09 AM   #4168
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Do you guys mind taking a look at this? After getting my car back a few days ago. (Leaked fixed) I decided to a do a third gear pull this morning. (Wifey drove herself to school. Easier for me to have fun.)

http://www.datazap.me/u/sojhinn/esc-...ta=1-8-9-11-12

I noticed my advanced multiplier changed for the first time. I also replaced my old cracked airbox for a new one. But I'm pretty sure I reseated it correctly. Going to check that out now. But do you guys mind telling me if there's anything I need to worry about?

Installed Mods:
Old 04-08-2014, 04:24 PM   #4169
nlowell

Quote:
Do you guys mind taking a look at this? After getting my car back a few days ago. (Leaked fixed) I decided to a do a third gear pull this morning. (Wifey drove herself to school. Easier for me to have fun.)

http://www.datazap.me/u/sojhinn/esc-...ta=1-8-9-11-12

I noticed my advanced multiplier changed for the first time. I also replaced my old cracked airbox for a new one. But I'm pretty sure I reseated it correctly. Going to check that out now. But do you guys mind telling me if there's anything I need to worry about?
If I remember correctly, according to Shiv - Ign Advance should be in the Mid 20s and AFR should be in the mid 12s.

Your AFR spikes under 4k just like mine. Your doesn't go up to 18:1 like mine but it's going up to 14.7:1 then drops down into the 12s and 11s (which I think is where it is supposed to be).

Yours

Mine

Your Ign Advance starts at ~10 and goes up to the mid 20's Mid 20's is good according to Shiv but not sure if starting at ~10 is good or bad.

Yours

Mine

You are also running e85, rights? Maybe that's why your AFR is lower than mine below 4k but it looks like the OFT tune below 4k is not adjusting for the ESC.

I also noticed my Adv. Multiplier would go down to .88 when in partial throttle but would go back to 1.0 when in WOT just like yours.

Again, not sure what is right or wrong, just comparing results. Maybe Shiv can help us understand.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:25 PM   #4170
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

No 91 gas

Installed Mods:
Old 04-08-2014, 08:27 PM   #4171
SloS14

Drives: 2013 FR-S whiteout
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
To anyone still on the fence, I was on my way home today going about 65 in 6th gear. Punched the gas to pass someone and the car felt completely dead like it had no power, realized the ESC was turned off. It makes a HUGE difference.

It's not one of those mods where you have to convince yourself that it makes the car faster. It's a pig without it.
SloS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SloS14 For This Useful Post:
-Ozzy- (04-08-2014), Gums (04-09-2014), jflogerzi (04-09-2014)
Old 04-08-2014, 08:29 PM   #4172
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloS14 View Post
To anyone still on the fence, I was on my way home today going about 65 in 6th gear. Punched the gas to pass someone and the car felt completely dead like it had no power, realized the ESC was turned off. It makes a HUGE difference.

It's not one of those mods where you have to convince yourself that it makes the car faster. It's a pig without it.
Awesome just make sure not to arm the device when you are already wot

My oft got here today!!! Can't wait to get some new power and torque

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive