Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Electric Power Steering Gone (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152630)

chiefshayan 02-22-2023 11:44 PM

Electric Power Steering Gone

Hey all! I have a '13 with around 75k miles that's never been in an accident. A few days ago, the steering became very light and almost felt as if the steering input had a deadzone. Checked the tire pressure and everything is OK. This happened in the middle of a nice drive.

I'm thinking my electric power steering EPS has overheated and may have failed. I've found some older threads on this, but just wondering if anyone has dealt with this issue. I spoke with someone at my local Toyota dealership because this EPS failure was part of a Toyota Australia recall and covered, but is not a recognized recall in the United States. Dealership basically said not our issue. Has anyone had any experience with this? I'm looking at a ~$1,000 in parts alone if the work is done by myself and a buddy. Would rather put that to a few track days coming up :happyanim:

I always thought if the electric steering motor went, the steering would become very stiff, as if the ignition wasn't on. But the steering almost feels as if the wheels aren't on the road. Lost complete feel of the road, so it may have overheated and became faulty.

pope 02-23-2023 12:41 AM

Any codes?

I would also expect it to fail heavy if it completely failed, but if the control circuit is having issues or there’s a bad sensor it could be in fail safe mode which sets the assist level equal to the assist at something around 45mph.

I picked up a couple EPS units and columns (for other projects) from a salvage yard for under $100ea. Might be a little more costly in your region, but you should be able to get a better parts price than $1000 if you need.

chiefshayan 02-23-2023 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pope (Post 3569825)
Any codes?

I would also expect it to fail heavy if it completely failed, but if the control circuit is having issues or there’s a bad sensor it could be in fail safe mode which sets the assist level equal to the assist at something around 45mph.

I picked up a couple EPS units and columns (for other projects) from a salvage yard for under $100ea. Might be a little more costly in your region, but you should be able to get a better parts price than $1000 if you need.

Really appreciate the response. I think you're spot on - there is definitely some assisted steering still active and it does feel like a safe mode setting to protect from further damage.

No lights on dash but will plug the car in this weekend. Was thinking of picking a used unit for under $200 in my area, worst case scenario I can just return it if the part is faulty. :thanks:

jeffchap 02-24-2023 10:50 AM

The steering assist went out on my '13 a couple of weeks ago. It was intermittent, usually working while after start and then quitting after a few miles.

Took it in for repair, expecting at least a $500 repair. It turned out to be a corroded connection which they cleaned and reconnected for less than $100. The tech said this is a very common problem in these cars. Hopefully this is your problem too.

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

blsfrs 02-25-2023 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffchap (Post 3569988)
The steering assist went out on my '13 a couple of weeks ago. It was intermittent, usually working while after start and then quitting after a few miles.

Took it in for repair, expecting at least a $500 repair. It turned out to be a corroded connection which they cleaned and reconnected for less than $100. The tech said this is a very common problem in these cars. Hopefully this is your problem too.

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

Any chance you could you elaborate on exactly what connections were corroded?

chiefshayan 03-06-2023 02:08 PM

Update: I purchased a replacement EPS column unit for 100 bucks used off eBay. I'm also going to replace the Damper Electric Power Steering Motor Shaft (cog) which is a $15 part.

I'm opting to leave the EPS computer module as is for now.

Will report back if this fixes my issues

Clem 03-15-2023 08:14 AM

Good morning ,
here I come to you because I have a problem with my direction of gt86 2012.
1 year ago I bought a hub with a tuliper steering wheel, but unfortunately I did not fit the steering wheel properly.
following this I have the abs and esp warning lights which came on after a few kilometers and went out after stopping the engine.
I changed my sensor in the bracing but not the airbag sipriale. but I always have a problem with the car when I drive fast I have the impression that the car deports from left to right.

Clem 03-15-2023 08:17 AM

the lights are no longer on but I still have a weird behavior.
as if the direction had a game or that it does not harden.
these asser disturbing .
I made a gear adjustment (geometry + parallelism)

JD001 03-15-2023 01:40 PM

Steered the thread well and truly off the track..

Nmstec 04-04-2023 02:10 AM

It went to limp mode. It lost can communication with ABS most likely.

Clipdat 08-15-2023 02:43 PM

BUMP for updates on this.

Opie 08-16-2023 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clem (Post 3572668)
Good morning ,
here I come to you because I have a problem with my direction of gt86 2012.
1 year ago I bought a hub with a tuliper steering wheel, but unfortunately I did not fit the steering wheel properly.
following this I have the abs and esp warning lights which came on after a few kilometers and went out after stopping the engine.
I changed my sensor in the bracing but not the airbag sipriale. but I always have a problem with the car when I drive fast I have the impression that the car deports from left to right.

Your steering angle sensor needs to be recalibrated....

WhiteRose 04-18-2024 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefshayan (Post 3571476)
Update: I purchased a replacement EPS column unit for 100 bucks used off eBay. I'm also going to replace the Damper Electric Power Steering Motor Shaft (cog) which is a $15 part.

I'm opting to leave the EPS computer module as is for now.

Will report back if this fixes my issues

Any updates on the fix? My Steering wheel light just came on and my Power steering is gone. If there was a fix I would appreciate the update!

Opie 04-21-2024 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteRose (Post 3604252)
Any updates on the fix? My Steering wheel light just came on and my Power steering is gone. If there was a fix I would appreciate the update!

What codes are present?