Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Raspy header and weird noise (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35601)

Scalzo 05-05-2013 02:46 PM

Raspy header and weird noise

This is my current setup,

Fa20club 4-1 EL header
Agency power over/front pipe
Magnaflow catback

i'm catless

It's raspy after 3k RPM how could I make it less raspy? Should i change my over/front pipe to get a catted one?

Also,

I get this weird noise in the front that sounds like a tractor , flutter noise.
Nothing is leaking, i got it triple checked at my garage guy.

Could i maybe need a bigger gasket for the header?

Also would the raspy go away once I go turbo?

mxsled 05-05-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scalzo (Post 912529)
This is my current setup,

Fa20club 4-1 EL header
Agency power over/front pipe
Magnaflow catback

i'm catless

It's raspy after 3k RPM how could I make it less raspy? Should i change my over/front pipe to get a catted one?

Also,

I get this weird noise in the front that sounds like a tractor , flutter noise.
Nothing is leaking, i got it triple checked at my garage guy.

Could i maybe need a bigger gasket for the header?

Also would the raspy go away once I go turbo?

If your headers are catless you should go with a catted frontpipe
Imo,for having a good exhaust sounds(not to raspy)you need at least one cat

do you have any videos of how it's sounds?

Opposed 05-05-2013 03:18 PM

A catted front pipe will help. I don't think 100%, but it will make quite a difference. I do believe that a turbo will muffle some of that in the future as well.

chutrain 05-05-2013 04:29 PM

A resonator will help a good amount. I just put one on mine that had the same issue after 3k rpm.

Scalzo 05-06-2013 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chutrain (Post 912668)
A resonator will help a good amount. I just put one on mine that had the same issue after 3k rpm.

Shouldn't it come with the catback and the front pipe?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mxsled (Post 912574)
If your headers are catless you should go with a catted frontpipe
Imo,for having a good exhaust sounds(not to raspy)you need at least one cat

do you have any videos of how it's sounds?

I was thinking of putting back my stock front pipe/over pipe, and when i get the turbo i'll put the front pipe/ over pipe back in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Opposed (Post 912580)
A catted front pipe will help. I don't think 100%, but it will make quite a difference. I do believe that a turbo will muffle some of that in the future as well.

Hmmm, i might just put the stock front pipe/over pipe back..

Funny thing is about an hour after posting, i got a ticket for my exhaust lol

I'll be posting a video tomorrow

it's only raspy when i hit the gas or drive in high rpms 3.5-4

Scalzo 05-07-2013 11:59 PM

I ordered the cat for the header,

the only problem now, it makes a tracktor noise when i accelerate like a fluttering noise, sounds like something in the front.

86pro 05-08-2013 12:21 AM

flutter noise at low rpm is just how the engine sounds. I know the sound. The raspy can be easily fixed with just a resonator or put back the two with magnaflow ones. You in ontario?

Hawaiian 05-08-2013 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scalzo (Post 918488)
I ordered the cat for the header,

the only problem now, it makes a tracktor noise when i accelerate like a fluttering noise, sounds like something in the front.

It could be the engine, or an exhaust leak.

Scalzo 05-08-2013 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86pro (Post 918534)
flutter noise at low rpm is just how the engine sounds. I know the sound. The raspy can be easily fixed with just a resonator or put back the two with magnaflow ones. You in ontario?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawaiian (Post 918543)
It could be the engine, or an exhaust leak.

I brought the car to two garages and they said no exhaust leak but it sounds like a flutter super annoying. Magnaflow ones are in , it's because i'm catless no cats.
Flutter noise at low RPM, never heard it before until i put the catless headers + overpipe + front pipe catless

I'm in montreal

Hawaiian 05-08-2013 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scalzo (Post 918588)
I brought the car to two garages and they said no exhaust leak but it sounds like a flutter super annoying. Magnaflow ones are in , it's because i'm catless no cats.
Flutter noise at low RPM, never heard it before until i put the catless headers + overpipe + front pipe catless

I'm in montreal

Check the frame where the overpipe crosses. The first 2 times I had the header installed it was fine, but the third time it wasn't hung properly and rubbed the frame. At higher rpm the sound of the engine would mask it, but it was audible at lower rpm, and when I would turn at speed.

StormTrooper 05-08-2013 01:38 AM

Without cats it'll still be raspy with a turbo.... I was full catless invidia q300 on my wrx and I loved how it sounded but it was loud

Scalzo 05-08-2013 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawaiian (Post 918671)
Check the frame where the overpipe crosses. The first 2 times I had the header installed it was fine, but the third time it wasn't hung properly and rubbed the frame. At higher rpm the sound of the engine would mask it, but it was audible at lower rpm, and when I would turn at speed.

It was pulled further away from the frame already, it makes like a nasty ffffff ffffff tracktor noise, its weird. only at low RPMs, i'm thinking it could be because im catless in videos you dont hear it but in person you do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by StormTrooper (Post 918676)
Without cats it'll still be raspy with a turbo.... I was full catless invidia q300 on my wrx and I loved how it sounded but it was loud

Hmm, starting to get some cats then lol

mad_sb 05-08-2013 09:00 AM

if you have an exhaust leak you should be able to see it by inspecting all the gasket locations with a flashlight, all around the ports / joints. You will see black soot. You have to really look for it, not just half ass it. I suspect the shops you had look at it may have just glanced at it or put it on the lift and ran it at idle.

Leak or hitting are most likely as others have said.

ATL BRZ 05-08-2013 09:05 AM

Catted/resonated front pipe will help a lot, and the cat in the header will also help. The resonator in the Magnaflow midpipe is rather short. A longer one like in the Perrin/OEM resonated catback will likely get rid of most if not all the rasp.