View Single Post
Old 02-21-2015, 11:10 AM   #33
Dustin@Dynosty

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmong337 View Post
Any comparisons on the power delivery of this engine compared to the FA20?
Not really, I started the swap at the end of the drivable season for our area and the car has spent most of the time parked, currently finishing up the turbo setup and will have it at TX2K - just as transportation unless I run into some huge snag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FReSh View Post
I'd like to see an FRS with a blacktop. I'm pretty interested in the weight difference. IIRC when I had the redtop pulled from the MR2 it seemed pretty heavy for a 4cyl engine. Classic Toyota (Yamaha?) iron, I guess.

This is a blacktop swap just in case that wasn't clear. I don't have the exact differences in weight, but couple things to balance out, you have two aluminum heads on the FA20 and only one on the 3sge, I just packaged up a full set of FA20 heads yesterday and they weighed 88lbs boxed. I feel like the 3sge head will be slightly lighter than that. I am throwing out numbers but would guess 50lbs or less on the 3sge fully loaded head. So saving of 30lbs to give to the over weight cast iron block. I don't have full weight of an FA20 block but have the bare block numbers somewhere in the office and have other 4cyl cast iron blocks to get a rough idea of weight and will report back next week. Now the 3sge will definitely have the weight higher distributed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acro View Post
The 3s ge is an awesome engine. You can hammer it for years as I did mine in my previous car and it just keeps on ticking. Also makes similar power to the fa20 but is no where near as fuel efficient.

I think a lot of that has to do with proper tuning. I will wager we will get similar gas mileage with proper EMS and tuning.
Dustin@Dynosty is offline   Reply With Quote