follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-02-2013, 12:18 AM   #29
Anaxilus
Banned

Drives: They have four wheels
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Lol, some of you don't know what a rebadge is. In order for it to be a rebadge, Subaru would have already had to have made the car first. This is a joint collaboration, so nobody gets 'dibs' on owning the credit. Not to mention they are NOT identical as you look at the spring rates for example.

For an understanding of rebadging, go google 'GM history'. Particularly Cadillac Cimarron among others.

Last edited by Anaxilus; 07-02-2013 at 12:28 AM.
Anaxilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:11 AM   #30
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib View Post
This car would of never took off from the drawing board if it wasn't for Toyota's involvement.

This ^^^ It amazes me people don't watch the video and go "oh ok" now I know the whole story.... LOL oh well I think the controversy is funny, at our local meets there is ZERO bashing or arguing about a FR-S and BRZ as there are lots of both nobody cares, however it seems real walking people that own the car know the story as it is in the video... yet on the net so many new car owners pop the hood see a name and viola that has to be who made and did it all....And who owns the largest chunk of Subaru & the fujistsu factory?...wait for it... Toyota. Hence Toyobaru.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:35 AM   #31
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post
Despite the fact that Toyota has historically done more and won more in all of motorsports than Subaru or most other car makers have combined.
I have been following all forms of motorsports for 40 years. Please enlighten me as to what venue(s), in what disciplines and in what era has Toyota dominated the world of motorsports and won all these titles that surpass the likes of:

Porsche
Ferrari
Ford
Chevrolet
Mazda
Audi
Nissan

Sorry for the topic drift but I just cannot miss an opportunity to be educated and lessen my ignorance on a subject.

Last edited by Rampage; 07-02-2013 at 04:47 AM.
Rampage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rampage For This Useful Post:
WolfpackS2k (07-02-2013)
Old 07-02-2013, 05:38 AM   #32
Perihelion
Unemployed DIY Ninja

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ, 1983 MB SD300
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
You only find these threads on this side of the forum. Obviously you don't agree with the author, so don't post his article up as a link. You are only helping boost his page view count; his editor is very grateful. As far as all the Scion vs. Subaru threads, please stop, thanks!
Old 07-02-2013, 08:21 AM   #33
fistpoint

Drives: Supercharged Golf Cart
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
This thread STARTED full retard...the amount of "foot in mouth" is astonishing, especially the first few replies.
fistpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:37 AM   #34
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
This ^^^ It amazes me people don't watch the video and go "oh ok" now I know the whole story.... LOL oh well I think the controversy is funny, at our local meets there is ZERO bashing or arguing about a FR-S and BRZ as there are lots of both nobody cares, however it seems real walking people that own the car know the story as it is in the video... yet on the net so many new car owners pop the hood see a name and viola that has to be who made and did it all....And who owns the largest chunk of Subaru & the fujistsu factory?...wait for it... Toyota. Hence Toyobaru.
Toyota only owns 16% of Suabru. I 100% agree that the FRZ was Toyota's original inspiration. That said, we would not have the car without Subaru either. And originally Subaru did say no to the project. They did noy want a RWD sports car and they wanted a turbo. The FRZ was put on hold until Toyota built a prototype and Subaru engineers drove it and saw the potential.

Folks it was a joint project. If you watch some of the Subaru videos out there the Subaru engineers discuss many of the challenges and how they built the car. Clearly Subaru engineers were heavily involved in engineering and building this car.

I personally think Toyota and Subaru both make great cars and don't mind it all that it was a collaboration. I would love my car just as much if it had a Scion or Toyota badge vs Subaru on it.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:38 AM   #35
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perihelion View Post
You only find these threads on this side of the forum. Obviously you don't agree with the author, so don't post his article up as a link. You are only helping boost his page view count; his editor is very grateful. As far as all the Scion vs. Subaru threads, please stop, thanks!
Yes I would think the mods would start banning people for this crap. It just pollutes the forum.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thill For This Useful Post:
BadMoon (07-02-2013), Perihelion (07-02-2013)
Old 07-02-2013, 10:10 AM   #36
FRiSson

Drives: FR-S MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The point isn't that it was made by Subaru, that is indisputable, but that it was conceived by Toyota, and the design duties were divided between the two firms. So it is inaccurate to call it a "rebadging". A joint venture is a much more accurate description.
FRiSson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:48 AM   #37
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,483 Times in 5,000 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
That's the best automotive article I've read in months.

rabble rabble rabble manufacturers

A 356 is a reskinned bug
A Ford Ranger is a rebadged Mazda B2000
A Chevy Nova (5th gen) is a rebadged Toyota Corolla
An Austin Healey Sprite is a rebadged MG Midget
A Mercury Cougar is a rebadged Mustang
A Pontiac GTO is a rebadged Holden Monaro
A Dodge Stealth is a rebadged Mitsubishi 3000GT

Not to mention every Scion is a Toyota somewhere else, Ford/Mercury, Chevy/GM, Honda/Acura and on and on.

Can we close this? This is less useful than the "why I bought an FRS over a BRZ" thread that was closed yesterday with no explanation.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:58 PM   #38
Anaxilus
Banned

Drives: They have four wheels
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
I have been following all forms of motorsports for 40 years. Please enlighten me as to what venue(s), in what disciplines and in what era has Toyota dominated the world of motorsports and won all these titles that surpass the likes of:

Porsche
Ferrari
Ford
Chevrolet
Mazda
Audi
Nissan

Sorry for the topic drift but I just cannot miss an opportunity to be educated and lessen my ignorance on a subject.
First off, I don't have the time to respond to each manufacturer you cherry picked when you intentionally misrepresented my post w/ your poor reading.

Second, consider yourself educated: Part 1 of 8 [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7FrEWjyehg"]TOYOTA MOTORSPORTS HISTORY 1 - YouTube[/ame]

I fixed your Google button for you, maybe you'll learn some Japanese too along the way. If you need help finding parts 2-8, let a fellow forum member know, they'll hook you up.
Anaxilus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anaxilus For This Useful Post:
Bristecom (07-02-2013), forzajuve (07-02-2013), Rampage (07-02-2013), SkAsphalt (07-02-2013)
Old 07-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #39
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post

Porsche
Ferrari
Ford
Chevrolet
Mazda
Audi
Nissan

Looking at this list reminds of the consistency in which Toyota fails (or rather, not win) at the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

This year would've been as close as they could get, especially with the fuel tank restrictions on the diesels.

Next year? With Porsche returning to LMP1, good luck on trying to join Mazda.

-alex

P.S. As for the original article... I thought it was pretty accurate. The article's point was not to educate the reader about a history of the GT86 and why it's called "86" (did no one read original articles about how the car has no 86 reference in the US due to the, um, other meaning of the numbers?), but rather to educate on why Scion is struggling so badly a mere 10 years after it was introduced?

And comments on internet articles I tend to ignore. It's kind of pointless arguing those.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
Hyper4mance2k (05-26-2015)
Old 07-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #40
dawnst3ar

Drives: 2013 MT FR-S Asphalt
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suaveflooder View Post
I'm confused why people are so mad about this. My car says subaru all over the place.

I changed my oil, filter said subaru on it.

All those little vin number matching plaques all over the car body panels, don't have a toyota or a scion emblem, take a look..... I see little stars

Also, I was detailing my car today and starting laughing. The rear trunk lid has "subaru" stamped on the inside of it toward the bottom, middle left if the trunk is fully open.

Even when I lowered the car, all the suspension parts said Subaru.

Funniest thing of all? remove your Scion logos...guess what is stamped on the back of them?
dawnst3ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:24 PM   #41
eikond
Wish Nissan made one

Drives: '13 WRB BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demotic View Post
What is up with the circlejerk here? Toyota branded the car Scion because Scion was doing horrible. And the writer is not far from the truth. We are really driving a Subaru with Toyota adjustments and shell.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pdWAcK6Eh8"]Anchorman Brick Tamland: I DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT / LOUD NOISES - YouTube[/ame]
eikond is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eikond For This Useful Post:
supra2nv (07-02-2013)
Old 07-02-2013, 01:37 PM   #42
suaveflooder

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,052 Times in 664 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnst3ar View Post
Funniest thing of all? remove your Scion logos...guess what is stamped on the back of them?
Lol, are you serious? I wouldn't doubt it, but that's funny
suaveflooder is offline   Reply With Quote