follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 09-24-2013, 02:13 PM   #239
Dephective

Drives: '13 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SillySaxon View Post
It's the DI seals not the HPFP that fails. That's what's making the crickets. There are plenty of photos of what they look like good and bad

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
Umm, no. DI seal failure is caused by faulty ECU settings from Subaru on the transient ignition tables causing detonation. Most 2013 build date cars have the revised calibration and don't have this issue. Please do not spread false information. We already have enough people freaking out about the crickets even though it is a NON issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

'01 Accord-daily
'93 Rx7-fire breathing track monster 545hp 397tq 2300lb.
'06 Mazdaspeed6 one helluva love-hate relationship
Dephective is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dephective For This Useful Post:
yuicebox (09-24-2013)
Old 09-24-2013, 04:02 PM   #240
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,344 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
It's the DI seals not the HPFP that fails. That's what's making the crickets. There are plenty of photos of what they look like good and bad

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
For the young folks out there, this is exactly how gossip starts.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:12 PM   #241
Jose_Timberlake

Drives: Scion FRS 2.0 6AT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterGreene View Post
Um...welcome to the launch of a new car? I don't know how hard you drive the car, but the fuel pump is a non issue (as of this point), detonation only is happening to those who beat their cars on the racetrack, the transmission issues seem to be fixed by a fluid change (for those that have that problem, I don't), and I don't get any rattles other than my teeth when I go over a bump too aggressively. Feel free to sell your car and get a new civic. I hear those are reliable.

but, for what its worth, I'll patronize you with this:

Well said bro!
Jose_Timberlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:28 PM   #242
Jose_Timberlake

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker741 View Post
Ha, 4 posts. When this shit happens to you, you'll be pissed too. Why should I be happy with this shit after paying $27k for the car and it won't get fixed?
Call me crazy, but isn't this essentially the primary reason new vehicles come with a factory warranty? Seems pretty obvious, and although I can agree that experiencing mechanical issues with any new ride is a b**ch to deal with...but ranting on & on about Toyota's reliability and Toyota choosing to partner with Subaru etc etc is just pointless. Bottom line, any vehicle can have mechanical/cosmetic issues, no matter the make and/or model. Sure, some brands are known for reliability & quality, i.e. Toyota...but considering this is the first of its kind, common sense should hint that there CAN be glitches.

Like someone else mentioned in an earlier post, seems like this car didn't meet your standards/expectation and you probably should've just opted for a simple Honda Civic that could have been less of a headache. It really does suck you're experiencing these issues with your twin, but honestly, there are a number of options you can pursue if you're truly unhappy with your ride. And I digress...
Old 09-24-2013, 04:43 PM   #243
Jose_Timberlake

Quote:
How about you read all the posts saying I've taken it to dealers and had a rep come out?
Hmmm...so what was the consensus when the rep came out to inspect your FR-S? And when you say rep, was it an actual factory tech that came out to the dealer? I know there are times where a rep comes out but they aren't necessarily a factory tech. If these transmission issues are as common as others are experiencing, it's possible a service bulletin could be in the works.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:53 PM   #244
Jose_Timberlake

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMBAM_6 View Post
Your getting the "stupid" responses because you posted a stupid thread..if you would have just stated your issues and asked for help or advice you probably would have gotten alot more useful responses and less bulls#$%. I can understand why your angry but theres plenty of us who have the same car with absolutely none of those issues you stated (except the crickets). You just have to press harder and get the dealership that isnt servicing a brand new car under warranty correctly in to trouble because basically they are violating a contract if everything your saying is true :happy0180:
My thoughts exactly when I read @husker741's post!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jose_Timberlake For This Useful Post:
CAMBAM_6 (09-25-2013)
Old 09-24-2013, 05:13 PM   #245
Jose_Timberlake

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoss23 View Post
Here is the problem dude:

You bought a entry level sports car designed in an entirely new platform.

Here is the question:

Where you the right candidate to buy this car?

You go ahead an answer this question.

And now read my 2 cents: NO, you were NOT the right candidate!. The right candidate for a vehicle like this in its first year of production is a person that :

a) Is Driver enthusiast that has the experience, time and patience to deal with bugs, modds, etc

b) Someone else (college student for example) that has THE MONEY to get these things fixed and not worry about it to the point they start hating the automaker.

you clearly are not in either of these groups, becasue you are SO UPSET that the car has these issues that you hate the car, and the brand. BUT the real main reason you are so upset, it's because you can't do anything about it because you are not in either of those 2 categories above. You don't have the time, experience, patience to modd it and fix it, nor you have the money (apparently).

The fact is, you should've gotten a "college car". If you are in the enthusiast side then get a Civic SI. But you went out of your way to get a car that was clearly not the right choice for you.

When I was in college I didn't care much about my cars, yet I drove an Audi A4 for the 4 1/2 years that I was in college. Why? Because my parents could certainly afford that vehicle, otherwise I wouldn't have. If it was me paying for the car I wouldn't even had a car. And if I HAD to buy a car, I would've bought a "college car" not a FRS on its launch year (assuming it was launched when I was in college).

You took a bad decision buying this car and you are unlucky enough to get one that has all these faults (it's on the very small minority having these issues). You do have a reason to be upset, but be upset at yourself for being stupid enough to get yourself into this, not at Toyota or Subaru.

Reminds me of people that get themselves into financing used 328is with 60k or more miles on them, when they have an hourly job, JUST BECAUSE they can afford the monthly payments. Then the moment they break because they didn't do the proper maintenance they blame BMW, when it reality is their stupid ass that got themselves into the problem.
"Jordan fades back, swoosh...and that's the game!" [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RaAgI7eZMg"]Jordan fades back, and that's the game! - YouTube[/ame]
Old 09-24-2013, 05:20 PM   #246
Jose_Timberlake

Quote:
Wow, some of these comments are just ridiculous.
If you're referring to @tacoss23 and other similar posts I will say this...the truth hurts man. No one likes to hear it, but IMO sounds like you bit off more than you could chew when you decided to get the FR-S. In the words of Scarface to his buddy Manolo when asking about his sister "Stay away from her, she not for you!"
Old 09-24-2013, 06:38 PM   #247
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
@Marchy you're good you.
bestwheelbase is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bestwheelbase For This Useful Post:
Marchy (09-24-2013)
Old 09-24-2013, 07:25 PM   #248
SillySaxon

Drives: Sc10n Series FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I should restate. Just because you have crickets doesn't mean that you WILL have a DI seal failure. However, DI seal failures CAN cause the cricket sound.

We know why they seals fail, and we know where the seals fail. I'm saying that you shouldn't completely ignore the cricket sound, get it looked at, if it's nothing then the dealer will tell you. At that point if the engine goes boom you can have proof that they checked and didn't fix an issue.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:29 PM   #249
SillySaxon

Drives: Sc10n Series FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...fuel+injectors

This is one of many posts where you can see a photo of bad DI seals.
Look around the Recall forum and you'll see more pics of good and bad ones

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=33
^^this being another one
Old 09-24-2013, 07:33 PM   #250
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
I However, DI seal failures CAN cause the cricket sound.

NO. The DI seal failures cause the firecracker sound. You have got to get your sound analogies right.
Dephective (09-25-2013), mav1178 (09-26-2013)
Old 09-25-2013, 01:34 AM   #251
Dephective

Drives: '13 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I should restate. Just because you have crickets doesn't mean that you WILL have a DI seal failure. However, DI seal failures CAN cause the cricket sound.
Man, you are hard-headed...

'01 Accord-daily
'93 Rx7-fire breathing track monster 545hp 397tq 2300lb.
'06 Mazdaspeed6 one helluva love-hate relationship
Dephective is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
assumption junction, bum toyotas' dog, first world problems, old whine in new battles, op can't drive stick, op is a tinkler, roflcopter