follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
CSI:86
86 = First New Car

Drives: 2013 Pegasus White Toyota 86 GTS MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Perrin vs Invidia N1

Which exhaust would yield more power? I love the sound of both but cannot decide on which to buy. I have been running on stock exhaust with Borla UEL headers for a long while now and need to change the catback.

Perrin has a bit more pronounced boxer rumble but sounds a bit more 'metallic' sounding.

Invidia sounds very bassy and deep but drones a bit on highway speeds.

Invidia has a more straight through design than Perrin.

I am happy with either exhausts, however have to choose so im leaving it to which yield more power?

CSI:86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
Myv

Drives: SWP BRZ Limited MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Personally I'd go with the Perrin, just because N1 is way too loud for DD, Q300 is what I'll be going for though.
Myv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #3
PERRIN_Mladen

Drives: '11 535i
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSI:86 View Post
Which exhaust would yield more power? I love the sound of both but cannot decide on which to buy. I have been running on stock exhaust with Borla UEL headers for a long while now and need to change the catback.

Perrin has a bit more pronounced boxer rumble but sounds a bit more 'metallic' sounding.

Invidia sounds very bassy and deep but drones a bit on highway speeds.

Invidia has a more straight through design than Perrin.

I am happy with either exhausts, however have to choose so im leaving it to which yield more power?

If noise is not a concern for you, I believe our 3" system will be the best option for what you are looking for.

When we put it on our Stage 1 car (tuned), it gained 2-3WHP more over our 2.5" system. With a full 3" setup that we offer, it gained 5-7WHP more than the 2.5".

We also offer a lifetime warranty on the catback as well!
PERRIN_Mladen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
vividracing

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,065 Times in 617 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PERRIN_Mladen View Post
If noise is not a concern for you, I believe our 3" system will be the best option for what you are looking for.

When we put it on our Stage 1 car (tuned), it gained 2-3WHP more over our 2.5" system. With a full 3" setup that we offer, it gained 5-7WHP more than the 2.5".

We also offer a lifetime warranty on the catback as well!
I Back up Perrin on their superb quality and performance. Invidia is also a great exhaust system too.

It comes down to what is most important for you. Power, sounds, look, etc...
vividracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #5
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
My biggest thing with both these systems is the following:

Perrin resonated is an outstanding system to keep things quiet even with a catless header. It's just very quiet.

Perrin non-resonated is great as a catback alone with no further upgrades. (Keeping stock header and front pipe)

Option 3 is what Perrin needs to add to the lineup. Another resonated setup, except cut the resonator size in half. This way you still get a fairly loud, very nice sounding tone. I think that would be an outstanding option on both 2.5" and 3" systems. It's a good middleman option between both systems for those torn between both and looking for a louder setup to run with an aftermarket header.

I'm currently running a 3" exhaust from Nameless and I've got dual resonators in the system and its still fairly loud, but not raspy at all.

Last edited by FR-S Matt; 10-02-2013 at 01:23 PM.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #6
86 = First New Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S Matt View Post
My biggest thing with both these systems is the following:

Perrin resonated is an outstanding system to keep things quiet even with a catless header.

Perrin non-resonated is great as a catback alone with no further upgrades. (Keeping stock header and front pipe)

Option 3 is what Perrin needs to add to the lineup. Another resonated setup, except cut the resonator size in half. This way you still get a fairly loud, very nice sounding tone. I think that would be an outstanding option on both 2.5" and 3" systems. It's a good middleman option between both systems for those torn between both and looking for a louder setup to run with an aftermarket header.

I'm currently running a 3" exhaust from Nameless and I've got dual resonators in the system and its still fairly loud, but not raspy at all.
Wouldn't 3 inch be too big and actually make you lose power especially in lower end revs? You would lose low end torque if you go 3 inch because our engines are only 2L NA
Old 10-02-2013, 01:24 PM   #7
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSI:86 View Post
Wouldn't 3 inch be too big and actually make you lose power especially in lower end revs? You would lose low end torque if you go 3 inch because our engines are only 2L NA
I don't believe that's true, but when I tune my car and put it on the dyno, I will let you know if it does or not. So far I don't feel any loss, but feel and actuality are two different things.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:48 AM   #8
86 = First New Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S Matt View Post
I don't believe that's true, but when I tune my car and put it on the dyno, I will let you know if it does or not. So far I don't feel any loss, but feel and actuality are two different things.
please do! Thanks