follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 12-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
hushypushy
ビーアールゼット

Drives: WRB BRZ '18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Swapping OEM wheels between a BRZ and FR-S: need to swap TPMS sensors too?

I have an FR-S with the original wheels and tires; my friend has a BRZ on original wheels and BFG Rivals. Long story short, he realized he got overzealous and doesn't really need low treadwear max performance summer tires...however, I drive the crap out of my car and like to autocross, so those are the perfect tires for me.

So, I proposed a simple cash + wheels swap. But then we remembered that modern cars have pesky TPMS sensors. Now the question is this: can we simply swap wheels and be on our way? Or do we have to swap the sensors too? I'm aware we can just swap the wheels and have a light in the cluster, but that is not an acceptable solution for either of us...
hushypushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
SkAsphalt
Ridge Racerrrrrrrrr

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2004 Toyota Coroll
Thanked 1,363 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Pretty sure your car will either auto learn the new sensors, or you can stop by your dealership and they should be able to get your car to recognize the BRZ's sensors as your own *like pairing a phone to a new bluetooth device)
Old 12-18-2013, 08:36 PM   #3
hushypushy
ビーアールゼット

Well, I did some research as I was waiting for replies. TPMS is so weird. Only certain TPMS tools will reset the sensors...for example, at work we have an ATEQ VT30, which will read the info from the sensors---but it won't reset them.

The easiest way to complete the swap I described in the OP would be to simply swap the wheels and then use something like ATEQ Quickset to pair and reset the sensors (apparently BRZ/FR-S sensors are interchangeable, but are unique [different than other Subaru/Toyota])

However, our ATEQ won't reset them. Fortunately, we do have a tire machine at work. So basically what we're going to do is pop the bead on each tire, slide it down to access the TPMS, and then just swap the sensors. That way, in the computer's mind, nothing ever changed.

If you don't have access to the proper TPMS tool or tire removal tools, this wheel swap would be a huge pain in the ass.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:38 PM   #4
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Ya no such thing as "auto learn" never heard of that sounds dreamy lol, someone should invent that though.

Yea a big tire shop or dealer will have that tool and do it for you, for a price of course.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:27 PM   #5
hushypushy
ビーアールゼット

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Ya no such thing as "auto learn" never heard of that sounds dreamy lol, someone should invent that though.
Actually, that's exactly what BMWs do (and some other European cars too). They literally auto-learn your new sensors! Why all cars don't have this feature, I have no idea. It seems like such a no-brainer.

edit: check this TireRack page, it's really informative. I've learned more about TPMS this week than I already knew in general.

Quote:
1. How do I reset my TPMS? (Lakin said this question was the most popular one, and not surprisingly has the most possible answers).

Answer: The first question should be: What kind of car are we dealing with? For example, a 2006 BMW M3 uses an indirect system, so it has one simple reset button. Once the tires are set to the correct pressure, the vehicle’s engine can be started, and then the reset button must be pushed for no longer than eight seconds. After the warning light turns off, the vehicle can be driven normally and the system will calibrate itself.

But not all indirect systems are alike.

A Buick Rendezvous must be driven at several specific speed ranges, including 74.5-plus mph for 10-20 minutes in a straight line after pressing multiple buttons and turning the ignition key on and off a few times. After receiving your speeding ticket in the Rendezvous, you can return to your shop and decipher how to register new sensors to a vehicle with a direct system.

Some direct systems automatically learn their new sensors, like in the Acura MDX, while other vehicles must be sent to the dealership. Currently, all Hyundais, Infinitis, Kias, Lexuses, Mitsubishis, Nissans, Subarus, Suzukis and Toyotas must have their new sensors registered at the dealership. To complicate things for the aftermarket, Lexus and Toyota models must have each sensor’s ID code entered into their ECUs using a dealer-only OBDII scan tool. (To simplify the work for the customer, when Tire Rack sells a TPMS-equipped wheel/tire package for a Lexus or Toyota, they include each sensor’s ID code on the customer’s invoice and in their database so that the customer can go directly to the dealership and get the ID codes entered into the vehicle’s ECU. Still, the customer has to make a separate trip).

Many vehicles are coming out with auto-learn systems or at least have initialization procedures that can be done at a tire shop or in the consumer’s driveway with minimal tools. So, on some level, the systems are becoming more user-friendly.
The Following User Says Thank You to hushypushy For This Useful Post:
SkAsphalt (12-21-2013)
Old 12-20-2013, 07:48 PM   #6
Figo

Drives: Vortech Supercharged FR-S
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
go to the dealer and they will reset it。

( White Tiger ) - FiGo's 車誌.
Figo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:08 PM   #7
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,849 Times in 1,638 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
I thought the Subarus don't have TPMS sensors,.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:22 PM   #8
hushypushy
ビーアールゼット

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
I thought the Subarus don't have TPMS sensors,.
I believe that's only true for the Canadian BRZ. The USA BRZ has TPMS for sure.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:18 PM   #9
raptor87

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
you can repair them with a qwickset or the toyota tech stream software, or go to the dealer
Old 12-21-2013, 06:28 PM   #10
SkAsphalt
Ridge Racerrrrrrrrr

Garage
Quote:

Yea a big tire shop or dealer will have that tool and do it for you, for a price of course.
friends Jag XF with 3rd party sensors auto learned. but hey, whatever you say
Old 12-21-2013, 07:48 PM   #11
OICU812
Just a dude

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkAsphalt View Post
friends Jag XF with 3rd party sensors auto learned. but hey, whatever you say
I said I never heard of it no need to get all worked up..
Now I know it exists but frankly not a big deal..

BMW and Jags are not scions and lower to mid class cost vehicles right? Those cars should rub your nuts when you sit in em for what they cost.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #12
SkAsphalt
Ridge Racerrrrrrrrr

Garage
Quote:
I said I never heard of it no need to get all worked up..
Now I know it exists but frankly not a big deal..

BMW and Jags are not scions and lower to mid class cost vehicles right? Those cars should rub your nuts when you sit in em for what they cost.
I just went by what I read 8-10 other guys say about the car, some sensors support auto learning, in most cases you need to go to a dealer and get them re-sync'd. Just as I said
Old 12-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #13
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Garage
Our cars use the Lexus TPMS sensors. The dealer will charge you $50 to reprogram them (per car).

Or just borrow an ATEQ Quickset from someone local and you're done.
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:03 PM   #14
OICU812
Just a dude

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkAsphalt View Post
I just went by what I read 8-10 other guys say about the car, some sensors support auto learning, in most cases you need to go to a dealer and get them re-sync'd. Just as I said
Ya I know how that works I've had it done several times it's a 50-60 dollar charge for them to hook up to obd and change the sensors numbers to match etc. Some vehicles have two banks that you can just request be changed as you get to your fall/winter maintenance. The auto learn is new to me I don't waist that kinda coin on vehicles rather on my home etc so hey... Learned something new there ya go..