follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

View Poll Results: Do you have chirping (cricket) noise during idle once the car is warmed up?
Yes (Please only vote after you have 300 miles or more on the odometer) 3,100 85.21%
No (Please only vote after you have 300 miles or more on the odometer) 538 14.79%
Voters: 3638. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 01-23-2014, 02:31 PM   #3641
Chee-Hu

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I've never had any issue with the noise, nor has anyone who has driven, or ridden, with me. The more you think about it and the more you look for the noise, the more you'll likely get annoyed/frustrated. Mine does get super loud once in a while, but it's a rarity.

Why are folks who don't even have the twins posting in here anyway? Your opinion is null here. Shooo off.
Chee-Hu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:39 PM   #3642
Nemesis
H. Badger Cares About Him

Drives: BMW 335i coupe w/ man.6 spd
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Just an FYI, there have been zero failures attributed to the fuel pump in the Toyobaru. Both companies have gone on record that the noise is no impairment to operation and vehicle reliability/longevity.

It's a silly noise that bothers some, annoys the piss out of others, and seems to go away over time.

I've had my car for a year now and it's never been back to the dealership. 20k miles.
3 year unresolved cricket noise, FI issue, rattles, power window issues, water in tail lights....I know I'm missing something. Thanks for the info: if I had bought one prior to knowing all this, I would be angry too - on multiple levels. But to purchase something knowing it has 3 year unresolved issues is just not a good investment. And to tell others that they have a lack of commitment because they refuse to be one more lemming over the cliff is the first sign of "misery loves company". Glad your car is doing so well Strat.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nemesis For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (01-23-2014)
Old 01-23-2014, 03:06 PM   #3643
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Why do I feel like I'm talking to an 8 year old? Please, carry on with your dribble, it's actually starting to make me laugh.
Shouldn't you be on the BMW forums under the repair section?
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FR-S Matt For This Useful Post:
HunterGreene (01-23-2014), strat61caster (01-23-2014)
Old 01-23-2014, 03:07 PM   #3644
Nemesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chee-Hu View Post
I've never had any issue with the noise, nor has anyone who has driven, or ridden, with me. The more you think about it and the more you look for the noise, the more you'll likely get annoyed/frustrated. Mine does get super loud once in a while, but it's a rarity.

Why are folks who don't even have the twins posting in here anyway? Your opinion is null here. Shooo off.
There was an "owners only" clause in this sites membership? Somehow I missed that...sarcasm aside: your ill-founded elitism only encourages your image as the drone.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:13 PM   #3645
Nemesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S Matt View Post
Shouldn't you be on the BMW forums under the repair section?
Irony that you're here making that statement....
Old 01-23-2014, 03:20 PM   #3646
utekineir
blowhard

Drives: frs, project forester
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
3 year unresolved cricket noise, FI issue, rattles, power window issues, water in tail lights....I know I'm missing something. Thanks for the info: if I had bought one prior to knowing all this, I would be angry too - on multiple levels. But to purchase something knowing it has 3 year unresolved issues is just not a good investment. And to tell others that they have a lack of commitment because they refuse to be one more lemming over the cliff is the first sign of "misery loves company". Glad your car is doing so well Strat.
di, not fi, for someone trying to position themselves as somewhere superior you should probably get the letters right.

i'm approaching 20k miles and about 7 months. No di issue, no window issues, no tail light issues, no more rattles than a vw. It does have the crickets but for now the winter has quieted them.

I don't know about you, but i don't expect much from an econobox rwd toy, especially not one that works so well as a dd. Contrary to popular opinion it isn't crafted by jesus. Perfect, nope. But it hits enough marks for the price that I have no regrets.

Quote:
There was an "owners only" clause in this sites membership? Somehow I missed that...sarcasm aside: your ill-founded elitism only encourages your image as the drone.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw2FDKPx8tc"]youtube com Dr Lexus YouTube - YouTube[/ame]
utekineir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:31 PM   #3647
kayoh

Drives: 2014 SWP Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Please. Comprehension is not your strong suit is it? Go back, read my post, then consider that you just agreed with it. One man's "minor issue" is another's poor investment. Your short comings are your own, who am I to burst your bubble? - clearly you're on a one man crusade to prove "ignorance is bliss" - congrats on the win BTW. FYI, I'm not here for your entertainment nor will I grace you with any "enlightenment". Your need is far too great for even me. Enjoy this response, it's your one and only. Good luck with your car.
Seems like you're

1. Entertaining
2. Enlightening
3. Continuously Responding

Why are you still here? You've made your point already. Just my $0.02
kayoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:40 PM   #3648
Nemesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayoh View Post
Seems like you're

1. Entertaining
2. Enlightening

I'll give you a chance to answer that one on your own... Ask yourself: who did Nemesis make that comment to? In relation to why am I still here: certainly everyone should be allowed a fair response....here's yours.

Thanks for the compliments

Last edited by Nemesis; 01-23-2014 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:42 PM   #3649
utekineir
blowhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayoh View Post
Seems like you're

1. Entertaining
2. Enlightening

same reason why the new hot thing is chicks posting pictures of themselves playing call of duty in titty shirts.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:46 PM   #3650
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Back more on topic... I emailed my service rep about my outer pump insulation not fully containing the crickets as they went crazy the other day. They're getting back together with the engineers and figuring out "the next steps". I told them we need a new pump from a different company with better lubrication for ethanol in our gas.

I didn't hear the crickets today when I pulled into work. So random, but at least I got the crickets on video again so they can't say I'm crazy!
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-S Matt For This Useful Post:
kayoh (01-23-2014)
Old 01-23-2014, 03:58 PM   #3651
Nemesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by utekineir View Post
di, not fi, for someone trying to position themselves as somewhere superior you should probably get the letters right.

i'm approaching 20k miles and about 7 months. No di issue, no window issues, no tail light issues, no more rattles than a vw. It does have the crickets but for now the winter has quieted them.

I don't know about you, but i don't expect much from an econobox rwd toy, especially not one that works so well as a dd. Contrary to popular opinion it isn't crafted by jesus. Perfect, nope. But it hits enough marks for the price that I have no regrets.
You are a curious sort: I can't make out whether your intentions are antagonistic or not....nonetheless, I believe you too are incorrect...this was toyota's direct and port injection was it not? Maybe a slip of the keys for us both..?
I'm pleased to hear your vehicle is bucking tradition, hopefully a sign of things to come. I was hoping the chirping would be resolved for the monogram edition...

How should I be taking this video?
Old 01-23-2014, 04:06 PM   #3652
utekineir
blowhard

Quote:
You are a curious sort: I can't make out whether your intentions are antagonistic or not....nonetheless, I believe you too are incorrect...this was toyota's direct and port injection was it not? Maybe a slip of the keys for us both..?
I'm pleased to hear your vehicle is bucking tradition, hopefully a sign of things to come. I was hoping the chirping would be resolved for the monogram edition...

How should I be taking this video?
1) You said fi issue, the car does not have forced induction. Therefore no fi issues, some however have had di seal issues. Which i assume is what you were going for, the port injection component seems to be fine by all accounts. And after having a couple direct injected vws to maintain i'd prefer to have both systems.
2) I'm here for the giggles, and them learnings.
3) The video is more appropriate now than it was a half hour ago.
4) i'd rather have annoying noises than potential catastrophic failure, which isn't all that uncommon in modern engines (or at least the ones i get exposed to).
The Following User Says Thank You to utekineir For This Useful Post:
HunterGreene (01-23-2014)
Old 01-23-2014, 04:09 PM   #3653
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,483 Times in 5,000 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
And to tell others that they have a lack of commitment because they refuse to be one more lemming over the cliff is the first sign of "misery loves company". Glad your car is doing so well Strat.

There's the trick though, these issues for the most part are minor.

The official DI failure poll has a grand total of 40 votes, even if you multiply that by 20x (assuming this forum consists of 5% of all Toyobaru's in the country) that's still at most 3% of the cars sold, and many who have had failures were modified. (Completely agreed that OEM cars failing even with track use is a problem and many dealerships fucked up not taking responsibility, but those are even more in the minority).

You forgot the lovely CEL Cam position sensor issue which seems to have been solved before 2012 was out, those are really the only issues resulting in failure other than the run of the mill flukes.

I hope you find a car that works for you, I really do and I think a post in the off topic section would be good "I bought X because these Toyobaru issues scared me" but calling us lemmings is unhelpful at best. These forums are great because you can know these issues going into a major purchase, hope you contribute positively in the future.

P.S. Did your BMW give you any issues? I've got a friend who's a BMW mechanic, heard too many stories to ever buy one made in the last two decades...

Edit: Actually you should probably respond via PM, I hate when these things go too off topic.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:14 PM   #3654
Nemesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S Matt View Post
Back more on topic... I emailed my service rep about my outer pump insulation not fully containing the crickets as they went crazy the other day. They're getting back together with the engineers and figuring out "the next steps". I told them we need a new pump from a different company with better lubrication for ethanol in our gas.

I didn't hear the crickets today when I pulled into work. So random, but at least I got the crickets on video again so they can't say I'm crazy!
Matt, on a serious note: has anyone tried running a lubricating fuel injector cleaner through it? One thing I noticed when they switched to ethanol mixes, is that both my DI cars' performance dropped but would return after a treatment once a month or so. I use gumout's complete system cleaner....Again, good luck