follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 03-13-2012, 01:29 AM   #15
Exage
GL 86!

Drives: Maybe FR-S... maybe not
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
Oh snap I just realized the Si loses breath pretty fast at the top of its rev range (200hp at 7000...wtf?), so its off the line acceleration is very high. I guess it's probably a close call then.
No not the K24Z7, the K20Z3. The K24 requires a light to tell you that it switched cams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieBot View Post
VTEC is just the way the valves work. Toyota and pretty much every auto maker these days makes their own version of VTEC. They do use VTEC on turbo cars also though.
Not really. VTEC in the tradition sense is a cam-switching system. VVT is a cam-phasing system.

To put it very simply; VVT was widely adopted by the automotive industry. Engines produced today without a intelligent VVT system are stone age basically (I don't know if there are any). An intelligent VVT system is included with VTEC engines as current i-VTEC.

Most VTEC cam switching was not as widely adopted. Toyotas' 2ZZ-GE is the only Toyota engine to mimic the VTEC system with the single cam swap VVTL-i. Many manufactures are looking into variable that control valve lift variably rather than a cam switch. And many didn't even explore a cam switch system in it's prime.
Exage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:59 AM   #16
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exage View Post
No not the K24Z7, the K20Z3. The K24 requires a light to tell you that it switched cams...
I assumed he was talking about the K24 Civic, because it's most fair to compare new cars afterall...the old Civic would get smoked as it does not have as great of a low end torque advantage. Well not exactly, it'd still be close.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #17
Mitch
form follows function

Drives: RIP '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
The k20z3 vtec isn't that great either. They downtuned the engine just prior to the cam switchover so that it would have an artificial "kick". The sound it makes when it switches over is nice though.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:50 PM   #18
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxim View Post
Based on the nearly 200lb weight difference between the cars, and the fact that the BRZ/FR-S is RWD and will actually put the power down in 1st gear, I'd say no contest. BRZ/FR-S will probably be marginally faster in every respect except maybe top-gear acceleration. It will certainly be faster on a track, especially if you put the same tires on both cars.

On a prepared drag-strip, they'll likely be very close, but in real world conditions, where traction is more limited and road conditions aren't perfect, the RWD layout is going to give a massive advantage to the BRZ/FR-S off the line. I've got a high-powered FWD car....launching it is a huge pain in the ass.
If by "track" you mean Drag Strip, Auto X or Drifting then you are right. The BRZ.FR-S will have a RWD advantage. However, for everyday driving and/or Road race track use or time trials there will be no such advantage. For realitively low horsepower cars (under approximately 300HP) FWD is just as viable as RWD. As evidence I offer World GT racing, Continental Tire racing, British Touring Car Championship and Grand AM ST racing. In each case FWD won their respective Championships.

For everyday driving, for the average or slightly above average driver, FWD is superior due to better all weather traction.

I grew up and learned to drive in a time when the only front wheel drive cars were "Elder"ados. Toronados and some "quirky" foreign cars. I had nothing but contempt for FWD "performance" cars through much of my life. That changed when I drove a Scirroco and owned a Integra GSR. I still prefer RWD in my sporty cars but there is no arguing that FWD makes more sense for a street car than RWD above the snowbelt. Can you get through a winter with RWD? Sure. I did it for over 30 years. But it is easier if you own a FWD for those really bad days.

The Civic is a solid, direct competitior to the FT86 models for most American drivers IMO. Even the ones that want a "sporty" car.

Last edited by Rampage; 03-13-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Rampage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:38 PM   #19
SkullWorks
Banned

Drives: SSM LT MT BRZ
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:

Not really. VTEC in the tradition sense is a cam-switching system. VVT is a cam-phasing system.

To put it very simply; VVT was widely adopted by the automotive industry. Engines produced today without a intelligent VVT system are stone age basically (I don't know if there are any). An intelligent VVT system is included with VTEC engines as current i-VTEC.

Most VTEC cam switching was not as widely adopted. Toyotas' 2ZZ-GE is the only Toyota engine to mimic the VTEC system with the single cam swap VVTL-i. Many manufactures are looking into variable that control valve lift variably rather than a cam switch. And many didn't even explore a cam switch system in it's prime.

I think you missed some of the systems that came out that weren't as widely used as Vtec, for instance the nissan NEO-VVL (Nissan Ecology Oriented Variable Valve Lift) Subaru had some dual pattern cam system that opened one valve before the other then locked both together...i-AVLS maybe.....I'm too lazy to look.

Did you know there was an 8 injector 1.6l four cylinder from nissan that was knocking on the door to 9K rpm and made 200 HP? they out Vtec'd honda bro

NOW throttle bodies are becoming obsolete in the wake of cams that are so variable in lift duration and LSA that they are throttle controlled and the TB is only used for IDLE air control and engine deceleration...BMW, Nissan, Toyota, not to mention Ferrari, have variable height and duration systems (i'm sure there are others these are the only ones i've looked at enough to know for sure what is going on as far as valve event)
SkullWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:13 PM   #20
xrs

Drives: 02 Mitsubishi Mirage
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullWorks View Post
I think you missed some of the systems that came out that weren't as widely used as Vtec, for instance the nissan NEO-VVL (Nissan Ecology Oriented Variable Valve Lift) Subaru had some dual pattern cam system that opened one valve before the other then locked both together...i-AVLS maybe.....I'm too lazy to look.

Did you know there was an 8 injector 1.6l four cylinder from nissan that was knocking on the door to 9K rpm and made 200 HP? they out Vtec'd honda bro

NOW throttle bodies are becoming obsolete in the wake of cams that are so variable in lift duration and LSA that they are throttle controlled and the TB is only used for IDLE air control and engine deceleration...BMW, Nissan, Toyota, not to mention Ferrari, have variable height and duration systems (i'm sure there are others these are the only ones i've looked at enough to know for sure what is going on as far as valve event)
As always, mitsubishi's MIVEC system is always forgotten. The earlier MIVEC systems were pretty much a direct clone of the vtech system. Never made it to the U.S. of course and woulda given Honda a run for their money. They axed it before it made any global headway in favor of TURBO!!!
xrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:25 PM   #21
serialk11r

Garage
Quote:
True, but cost/reliability will delay the adoption of these systems in favor of easier ways to improve economy. Toyota didn't want to use variable lift on the LFA for example.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:42 PM   #22
Exage
GL 86!

Drives: Maybe FR-S... maybe not
Quote:
I think you missed some of the systems that came out that weren't as widely used as Vtec
I kept it basic and brief; for the sake of posting without

A) Confusing members, easy to distinguish what is VTEC and VVT. Verses something like MIVEC and Double-VANOS.

or

B) a length of off-topic discussion

You are correct. i-AVLS is similar to VTEC-E, in which number of valves actuated is decreased at low rpm. While the system is similar, its application to engine performance [fuel economy/drivability] is on a much different note.

Quote:
I assumed he was talking about the K24 Civic, because it's most fair to compare new cars afterall...the old Civic would get smoked as it does not have as great of a low end torque advantage. Well not exactly, it'd still be close.
Well you can look at it two ways. It makes sense considering sale period. When comparing engine/drivetrain I tend to to make leeway on this in favour of something more precise [Displacement, Gear Ratios etc].

I got into pissing match once that engine for engine the 2ZZ-GE shouldn't be compared to a B18C1 or B18C5, but rather a K20A2. [SarcasticClap]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
The k20z3 vtec isn't that great either. They downtuned the engine just prior to the cam switchover so that it would have an artificial "kick". The sound it makes when it switches over is nice though.
It's actually better to have the switch point lower, the consequence is less kick. Power is accessible towards the end of the midrange. So I respect your opinion Mitch that it's detuned (with you owning a 8th Gen Si), however I believe it's just less abrupt then the past non cam-phasing Honda engines (B series).

I don't land on my high cam even with redline shifts because it's set [stock] at a silly 6700rpm. The tuners that use the Apexi-PFC always decrease it to 5800-6200rpm on this engine, trading the "kick" for better performance and land on upshift. It gives a hell of jolt and noise in 1st and 2nd stock though.

And that's all the off topic from me today...
Exage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:57 PM   #23
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,227 Times in 1,207 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
I kept it basic and brief; for the sake of posting without

A) Confusing members, easy to distinguish what is VTEC and VVT. Verses something like MIVEC and Double-VANOS.

or

B) a length of off-topic discussion

You are correct. i-AVLS is similar to VTEC-E, in which number of valves actuated is decreased at low rpm. While the system is similar, its application to engine performance [fuel economy/drivability] is on a much different note.

Well you can look at it two ways. It makes sense considering sale period. When comparing engine/drivetrain I tend to to make leeway on this in favour of something more precise [Displacement, Gear Ratios etc].

I got into pissing match once that engine for engine the 2ZZ-GE shouldn't be compared to a B18C1 or B18C5, but rather a K20A2. [SarcasticClap]

It's actually better to have the switch point lower, the consequence is less kick. Power is accessible towards the end of the midrange. So I respect your opinion Mitch that it's detuned (with you owning a 8th Gen Si), however I believe it's just less abrupt then the past non cam-phasing Honda engines (B series).

I don't land on my high cam even with redline shifts because it's set [stock] at a silly 6700rpm. The tuners that use the Apexi-PFC always decrease it to 5800-6200rpm on this engine, trading the "kick" for better performance and land on upshift. It gives a hell of jolt and noise in 1st and 2nd stock though.

And that's all the off topic from me today...
Intake + 2zzGE = NOISE!!!!
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:10 PM   #24
koyv90
Rocket Bunny FRS

Drives: 2013 Rocket Bunny FRS
2007 civic si beat a honda s2000 so idk be close??????? At least when Honda had those pro drivers play with the new civic si vs honda s2000, 350z, and a rsx.
koyv90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:14 PM   #25
serialk11r

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyv90 View Post
2007 civic si beat a honda s2000 so idk be close??????? At least when Honda had those pro drivers play with the new civic si vs honda s2000, 350z, and a rsx.
Are you sure it was an Si? Civic Type Rs had around S2000 power, so that's possible, Si is a bit short on power, I have a hard time believing this.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:28 PM   #26
koyv90
Rocket Bunny FRS

Drives: 2013 Rocket Bunny FRS
Quote:
Are you sure it was an Si? Civic Type Rs had around S2000 power, so that's possible, Si is a bit short on power, I have a hard time believing this.
Oh shit! it was a type r my bad!! i forgot about that.
koyv90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:54 PM   #27
Capt Canuck

Drives: BMW E36 323is
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyv90 View Post
That was the new -at the time- JDM Honda Civic TypeR (FD2) that you are thinking of:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4o...-nsx-350z_auto
Couldn't find it on youtube :-s
Old 03-14-2012, 12:02 AM   #28
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
while best motoring is probably the.. best motoring video series out there, i would take their "conclusions" with a bag servering of salt.

Tags
civic, civic si, honda