follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

View Poll Results: Yup...Totaled or not?
Yes 34 40.96%
No 27 32.53%
Unclear 22 26.51%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 02-28-2014, 03:36 AM   #29
monkeedoo
Senor Member

Drives: ME CRAZY
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
sorry bro, I'm glad you walked away and no one else was hurt. hope fully they total it cause even if they fix it won't be perfect anymore
monkeedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to monkeedoo For This Useful Post:
chas3wba0 (02-28-2014)
Old 02-28-2014, 03:45 AM   #30
NickFRS

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Chances are you buckled the rear floor. The inside of the trunk is buckled. The whole rear section will have to be cut of and replaced. Your suspension components will have to be replaced. That whole rear quarter might not be savable so that whole piece will need to be replaced. Don't even get me started on the front end.... Just way to much damage man.... Take it from someone who went through it. it's total'd. If it was repaired it would be a salvaged title and worth 8k less. If it's not paid off that 8k would go to your lean holder for "diminished value" and you wouldn't see a dime of it must owning a car that is worth less with a cut title. Just pray they total it and replace it.

<-- been through it trust me.

That whole side piece alone is like $2500 bucks or something stupid.

Final bill for this was 12k. Top notch quality though. You would NEVER know it was hit in the end. My car had 3k so I think my insurance just didn't want to total it.
NickFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NickFRS For This Useful Post:
chas3wba0 (02-28-2014)
Old 02-28-2014, 06:48 AM   #31
Ursam

Drives: 2014 SSM BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The external body damage will be pricey, but whether they total it depends on the condition of the underlying frame. I went through the same thing last year with a Lexus 350. It just had rear body damage, but turns out the frame was bent and so the car was totalled.

So sorry to see this.
Ursam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ursam For This Useful Post:
chas3wba0 (02-28-2014)
Old 02-28-2014, 07:15 AM   #32
FRSure

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
That looks expensive. Hope it gets totaled. To give you a clue, search for my thread. 11k+ damages and preparing right now.
FRSure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSure For This Useful Post:
chas3wba0 (02-28-2014)
Old 02-28-2014, 07:25 AM   #33
AdrianG
Generally Well Liked

Drives: '08 STi Hatch, '11 Outback 3.6R
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
The rear quarters on this car are part of the unibody, they can't just be replaced. If they manage to fix it I certainly wouldn't want it back.
AdrianG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AdrianG For This Useful Post:
chas3wba0 (02-28-2014)
Old 02-28-2014, 08:17 AM   #34
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas3wba0 View Post
I would like to point all the blame at the tires and road oils, but I also can't ignore the fact that it could have been so easily avoided if I straightened out before hitting the gas. I did spend a lot of time trying to break traction in a parking lot the last time it rained hard, and it was tough even in 2nd gear, so I had no idea I could pull this off in 3rd. Agreed, the recent dryness definitely played a factor, though. Tough lesson learned
Sounds like you got it. I had a track instructor once who said to imagine there was a string attached between your throttle pedal and your wheel. The more you press the throttle, the more you should be unwinding your wheel. That's always stuck in my head.

Pretty crazy that you were able to spin the car with the nannies on. Based on that, I would imagine there was a light film of oil on the road, as the TC/VSC on this car is pretty aggressive.

Anyway g'luck with sorting everything out.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
chas3wba0 (02-28-2014)
Old 02-28-2014, 08:20 AM   #35
FRSure

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianG View Post
The rear quarters on this car are part of the unibody, they can't just be replaced. If they manage to fix it I certainly wouldn't want it back.
What they did with my car right now being repaired from a rear end accident is that they will cut off the damages panels and weld in a new one.
FRSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:26 AM   #36
Kimsey47

Drives: 2016 STI DGM
Thanked 1,460 Times in 662 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
OP, glad to hear you're ok... Question: Were all the driver's aids were on? (And if this was already stated I missed it so don't roast me y'all! I saw "nannies" but wanted to clarify.)
chas3wba0 (02-28-2014)
Old 02-28-2014, 09:10 AM   #37
ZeHeadBanger
Stuck like Glue

Drives: WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Shit, tough luck man! Glad to see you are ok! I would go ahead and say that this should be totaled, but everything lies in the hands of your adjustor. Just pray he is a good guy!

I think the airbags going off, the suspension mounts and the steering rod would be the main issues here. And like someone else mentioned in this thread, it looks like a unibody damage rather than just exterior. So all these factors point towards the vehicle being totaled.

BUT, I've seen that adjustors and body shop people have this mentality that if the vehicle is brand new, the possibility of totaling it is diminished greatly. I don't know why, but that seems to be the case. Hope everything turns out well for you!
ZeHeadBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZeHeadBanger For This Useful Post:
chas3wba0 (02-28-2014)
Old 02-28-2014, 04:55 PM   #38
chas3wba0

Drives: Yes
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimsey47 View Post
OP, glad to hear you're ok... Question: Were all the driver's aids were on? (And if this was already stated I missed it so don't roast me y'all! I saw "nannies" but wanted to clarify.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Sounds like you got it. I had a track instructor once who said to imagine there was a string attached between your throttle pedal and your wheel. The more you press the throttle, the more you should be unwinding your wheel. That's always stuck in my head.

Pretty crazy that you were able to spin the car with the nannies on. Based on that, I would imagine there was a light film of oil on the road, as the TC/VSC on this car is pretty aggressive.

Anyway g'luck with sorting everything out.
Nannies were all on, haven't touched those buttons in a while since my experiment in the parking lot. Although I did hear the RPM's shoot up a bit (the "oh shit!" moment) before throttle was cut off, but I was already rotating. Disconcerting, since I always hear that the systems kick in well before any wheel-spin is allowed to happen... is this something we can complain to Subaru about? That combined with the obviously under-engineered tires on the car

Last edited by chas3wba0; 02-28-2014 at 05:06 PM.
chas3wba0 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chas3wba0 For This Useful Post:
Kimsey47 (02-28-2014)
Old 02-28-2014, 05:00 PM   #39
chas3wba0

Drives: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeHeadBanger View Post
Shit, tough luck man! Glad to see you are ok! I would go ahead and say that this should be totaled, but everything lies in the hands of your adjustor. Just pray he is a good guy!

I think the airbags going off, the suspension mounts and the steering rod would be the main issues here. And like someone else mentioned in this thread, it looks like a unibody damage rather than just exterior. So all these factors point towards the vehicle being totaled.

BUT, I've seen that adjustors and body shop people have this mentality that if the vehicle is brand new, the possibility of totaling it is diminished greatly. I don't know why, but that seems to be the case. Hope everything turns out well for you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSure View Post
That looks expensive. Hope it gets totaled. To give you a clue, search for my thread. 11k+ damages and preparing right now.
I'd love to hop back in this car if it gets repaired, cus the interior is still so immaculate and all the windows are intact. Just seems like such a waste if it were to be a total loss, but yea just waiting to see what the verdict is. The idea of totaling this and getting another one is enticing, but is that a proper thing to do? I'd imagine it would cost an arm and a leg to insure another new model of the same car.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:13 PM   #40
Pizzman
Crap another obsession.

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
I am glad you are OK, and no one was hurt. I am just being honest and you may take this as you please. Spinning out in third means you may have been going a little to fast.

I have tried to but never spun out with trac control on even in rain. I would say your ECU will be looked at to see if they were or were not on. The impact protection is pretty good in these cars, and it will be obvious to your appraiser and the insurance company if you were speeding.

Yes equipment fails, and if this is a case of failure then everyone here wants and needs to hear about it.
Pizzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pizzman For This Useful Post:
chas3wba0 (02-28-2014)
Old 02-28-2014, 05:18 PM   #41
subiestyle

Drives: 2014 Monogram FR-S White MT
op, did you happen to downshift to 3 on that ramp or just a throttle punch while already in 3rd?
subiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:21 PM   #42
Alabang 86

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
I would have said totaled but what do I know....

those side airbags looks very useful.

drive safe!
chas3wba0 (02-28-2014)