follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 03-24-2014, 07:53 PM   #15
FLYFISHR

Drives: 2014 BR"ZED" Sport-tech DGM MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Get a set of winters and for someone like youself go to a skid/driving school. That should help with your insurance rates as well.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:12 PM   #16
t.chk

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Blizzak WS70's are very good...cant handle 5+in of snow that we were getting. but <4in as long as you keep moving you are good, <2in you can stop and go at will.

The 2nd gear start for manual, the winter button in automatic helps with getting rolling.

Edit: Since you don't have many winters under your belt. I plead you to go really slowly, at least 20 less than posted. Because even with snow tires this car can and will kick out on you, At least once per drive and you will need to get used to that very quickly. Do not take it out with summer tires on it, you will slide a lot even in light coverage. (summer tires != all seasons)
t.chk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:15 PM   #17
Model Citizen
Lacking brains

Drives: frz
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I use snow tires.

The car has done so well that I didn't even bother swapping my snow set onto my awd vehicle, it's sat all winter while the frz was driven for the extra mpg and fun.
Model Citizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:45 PM   #18
AznBRZer

Drives: 16 CBS WRX Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Snow tires and driving slow will get you to where you want to be a vast majority of the time. If you're wondering if you're driving slow enough, you're probably driving too fast. If you're wondering if you're driving too slow, you're probably going at the right pace.
AznBRZer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:48 PM   #19
t.chk

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznBRZer View Post
Snow tires and driving slow will get you to where you want to be a vast majority of the time. If you're wondering if you're driving slow enough, you're probably driving too fast. If you're wondering if you're driving too slow, you're probably going at the right pace.
Truer words have never been said.
t.chk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:49 PM   #20
frumplejoon

Drives: '99 Camry, E36 M3 (RIP), BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Is your dad's car RWD? Snow tires are a given, don't be like a friend of mine who gets stuck in her own parking lot because of stock tires! I've had some issues on inclines from a standing start though turning TC off helps a lot (then again I'm somewhat new to manuals). Overall it's pretty good in the snow as long as you respect it. Take it slow and easy until you get a good feel. The VSC is actually pretty good even in the snow, and when it does come loose it's pretty easy to manage. Highly recommend some parking lot practice in snow to see what an "oh s#$!" moment is like!
frumplejoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:50 PM   #21
kberkel

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznBRZer View Post
About 6 years ago I was trekking through some deep snow, doing about 45 on the highway. This BMW blew by doing about 60 and I thought.. "damn he's brave"

Literally 1 minute later I passed him as his car was facing the wrong direction against a guard rail. I thought about turning around and going home
kberkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:56 PM   #22
rick s

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by immaculate View Post
The car struggled mightily on any kind of incline. During one of the worst storms I was on the highway approaching a hilly section where cars were slowing to a stop. Once I was forced to stop and restart I could not get traction, spent about a full mile opposite-lock
A lot of cars that are forced to stop on a snow covered hill will have a problem! It is not specific to the twins.
It's all about maintaining momentum!

rick s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:14 PM   #23
immaculate

Drives: 2017 Audi S3
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisl View Post
Which Blizzaks?
LM-60's
immaculate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:23 PM   #24
Fett4Real
AKA Mugen Dom

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2007 FJ Voodoo Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick s View Post
A lot of cars that are forced to stop on a snow covered hill will have a problem! It is not specific to the twins.
It's all about maintaining momentum!

VERY true...if you stop on a hill youre going to have a problem
Fett4Real is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fett4Real For This Useful Post:
rick s (03-25-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 09:26 PM   #25
mattyd97

Drives: 2014 SSM BRZ
Thanks to all of you again for the advice. As for my dad's car, it is (unfortunately for me) an AWD. Although it'll be much better driving in the snow, it'll at least give me some kind of experience. And for the BRZ, I'll be practicing A LOT with it in a snowy parking lot before I even think about driving around with it on the streets in the snowy weather.
mattyd97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:55 PM   #26
chrisl

Drives: 2006 Cayman S, 2007 Outback 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by immaculate View Post
LM-60's
That explains it. The WS-70s are much, much better in the snow (and similarly worse in the dry). The LMs will get you through a few snowy days just fine, but they wouldn't be my recommendation for someone who lives in an area with significant snowfall.
chrisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:15 PM   #27
immaculate

Drives: 2017 Audi S3
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisl View Post
That explains it. The WS-70s are much, much better in the snow (and similarly worse in the dry). The LMs will get you through a few snowy days just fine, but they wouldn't be my recommendation for someone who lives in an area with significant snowfall.
You're right, just my luck that my first year with the car was among the worst in history in terms of regional snowfall. Tire Rack had the LM's on clearance, and the description as more of a winter performance tire seemed appropriate for the tri-state area where there is typically only a couple of snowfalls per winter. Hopefully next winter is more of a return to normalcy.
immaculate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:32 PM   #28
was385

Drives: MT WRB BRZ Limited, 2007 911s
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyd97 View Post
Thanks to all of you again for the advice. As for my dad's car, it is (unfortunately for me) an AWD. Although it'll be much better driving in the snow, it'll at least give me some kind of experience. And for the BRZ, I'll be practicing A LOT with it in a snowy parking lot before I even think about driving around with it on the streets in the snowy weather.

The only other car I drive in the winter is a Lexus RX 350 with all seasons. With Michelin x-ice tires my BRZ is significantly better in the snow, so unless your dad's car has snow tires, it will probably be a bit worse (if you end up with snow tires). Just remember that even if you have the best winter tires on an AWD car, ice and snow are still dangerous. If you drive cautiously, you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
was385 is offline   Reply With Quote