follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 07-07-2014, 02:29 AM   #1
AAghassi

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Someone "decorated" my driver-side door!

So, at 3:30 AM on Friday I got to my girlfriend's apartment complex and parked in the back next to the leasing office as opposed to out on the street. I even purposely parked next to a new Genesis Coupe thinking that side of my car would be protected from dents.

At 6:00 PM on Friday we go out to my car so we can go somewhere to see the fireworks and to my horror I find that someone has really gone at it on my driver-side door.

I am so shocked. I have no enemies in that complex let alone anywhere else...so the only thing that came to mind was that my exhaust pissed someone off. But when I went door to door to ask if anyone had seen anything everyone said they didn't even hear me come in.

Anyways, my deductible is $500, but the money isn't my concern, my concern is not having the peace of mind of being able to park somewhere without having my car carved up. The complex is in the middle of Irvine, not East LA or Inglewood! My other concern is that once repaired, the door panel will be a different tone or shade than the rest of the car. Would it be effective to look through salvage parts sites for a whole new door?

Any ideas or tips on how to handle this would be really appreciated.
Attached Images

AAghassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:38 AM   #2
N1rve

Drives: 2019 BMW ///M4
Thanked 1,167 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAghassi View Post
So, at 3:30 AM on Friday I got to my girlfriend's apartment complex and parked in the back next to the leasing office as opposed to out on the street. I even purposely parked next to a new Genesis Coupe thinking that side of my car would be protected from dents.

At 6:00 PM on Friday we go out to my car so we can go somewhere to see the fireworks and to my horror I find that someone has really gone at it on my driver-side door.

I am so shocked. I have no enemies in that complex let alone anywhere else...so the only thing that came to mind was that my exhaust pissed someone off. But when I went door to door to ask if anyone had seen anything everyone said they didn't even hear me come in.

Anyways, my deductible is $500, but the money isn't my concern, my concern is not having the peace of mind of being able to park somewhere without having my car carved up. The complex is in the middle of Irvine, not East LA or Inglewood! My other concern is that once repaired, the door panel will be a different tone or shade than the rest of the car. Would it be effective to look through salvage parts sites for a whole new door?

First off...You don't need to stereotype that Inglewood and east LA are automatically bad.

Secondly, what a typical body shop will do is paint the entire side of the car. All you need to do is file a police report and then a claim.

Invest in a security system with a video camera and mic. Regardless of where you go, you'll always have that one person that will hate you for no reason.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
N1rve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:55 AM   #3
AAghassi

Garage
I didn't mean to imply that Inglewood or East LA are automatically bad. I did a project in Inglewood for a month and on two separate occasions I found gang logos etched into the paint of my Pathfinder but never got them fixed. Sorry, didn't mean to stereotype.
The Following User Says Thank You to AAghassi For This Useful Post:
NWFRS (07-07-2014)
Old 07-07-2014, 03:18 AM   #4
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Irvine isn't the best for this kind of stuff. There are a lot of racers and ricers and whatnot here. Not to mention after going to UCI for one year I racked up 5 small dings on my doors. In LA or Compton you'd probably expect your windows to be broken in and things stolen but in Irvine I'd say this isn't too far fetched unfortunately.

As for the car I am sorry to hear. I really doubt getting a new door is a viable option but I am sure there body shops that can fix it and paint match. One place I recommend near spectrum is OC Bumper and Body. I went there with my brother's G35 a few times for some small damages and they did a fantastic job (not Westminster cheap but it's worth it if you care).
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:19 AM   #5
chas3wba0

Drives: Yes
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
sucks, man... somebody was either jealous, drunk, or both
Old 07-07-2014, 03:40 AM   #6
AAghassi

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by l0aded View Post
One place I recommend near spectrum is OC Bumper and Body. I went there with my brother's G35 a few times for some small damages and they did a fantastic job (not Westminster cheap but it's worth it if you care).
I looked them up and they look pretty good. It's on my way to work so I'll probably go by tomorrow to get an estimate.

It pisses me off seeing it everytime I get into the car.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:31 AM   #7
Mikem53

Drives: FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
I looked them up and they look pretty good. It's on my way to work so I'll probably go by tomorrow to get an estimate.

It pisses me off seeing it everytime I get into the car.
That totally sucks..sorry to see some low life PoS do that to your car..
A good body shop can match it right and make it look new again..
Good luck..
Mikem53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:26 PM   #8
Shawnofthedead

Drives: Black on black with so much class
Damn blows
Shawnofthedead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:51 PM   #9
8R6

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,338 Times in 746 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
holy shit they went to town on your door. damn sorry to hear/see

and having a good body shop repaint and match would probably be a better option than finding a used door.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:00 PM   #10
Wolfking

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune. I would have acted if I'd witnessed such an act. Unless you're a complete waste of flesh, your car is my car and should be valued as such.
Wolfking is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wolfking For This Useful Post:
KPR10 (07-08-2014)
Old 07-07-2014, 01:07 PM   #11
JG

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Sorry for what happened to you brother. Just be humble and think about the good things in life.
JG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:18 PM   #12
evan

Drives: fr-s
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
It appears they had tremors.
evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:22 PM   #13
Ammunition

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Unbelievable - my SO is always going off on me about needing to calm down, or be less paranoid about my car when I park it somewhere because "people really don't do that sort of thing" (regarding getting keyed or vandalized; I have about a 3" long cut on my roof that crosses the ridge lines, and definitely needed firm/consistent pressure to keep an even cut along the ridge, so I feel it was vandalized and not some bizarre anomaly of rock chip damage or similar).

I'm so sorry for your car man and the distress this has caused you, that is so f'ing messed up. Is there a chance that the leasing office you parked near would have a security camera?

Maybe you can find out who owns the Gen Coupe and ask if they had any damage done to their car - or perhaps they would have had a dash cam that might have caught something if it happened during the hours that you were parked next to each other?

Best of luck getting your door fixed up and hopefully seeing justice done to the sociopath that did this.

Last edited by Ammunition; 07-07-2014 at 02:21 PM.
Ammunition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:27 PM   #14
Laylow

Drives: Scion frs
Cant believe people would do this man...

i guess its time to find em...

Laylow is offline   Reply With Quote