follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

View Poll Results: Why did/will you rebadge your car? (Multiple choice)
Preferred the look of the Toyota GT-86 logos 61 52.14%
Not a fan of Subaru/Scion brand name 36 30.77%
Wanted to mod something 11 9.40%
Other 23 19.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 02-26-2015, 02:03 PM   #71
BlackMonarch

Drives: Red BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brndn704 View Post
My car is in my sig...
Bro your personal taste is obviously being called in to question here, and of course other dude thinks your car is tooo hellaflush\slammed\stanced. Your personal choices are obviously the wrong ones and thus you should both be insulted and feel bad for making your car what you want it to be.

Fucking duh.

But really fuck guys who talk shit on your personal taste. I love your car.
BlackMonarch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BlackMonarch For This Useful Post:
chas3wba0 (02-27-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 02:12 PM   #72
headlikeahole

Drives: Ultramarine toyobaru
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred18 View Post
Is that good or bad? haha
Mountain Dew's marketing strategy is to try so hard to be "cool" that it comes off as sad and pathetic. It's not good.
headlikeahole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 02:57 PM   #73
bigred18
MJLONIR Program Member

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlikeahole View Post
Mountain Dew's marketing strategy is to try so hard to be "cool" that it comes off as sad and pathetic. It's not good.
I smell what you're stepping in. I think Scion saw a good marketing car, but it's past probably effected the taste of the car as a name. Personally I moved from a family of "Chevy Lovers" to Toyota (more specifically the Scion FR-S).
bigred18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigred18 For This Useful Post:
Choco (02-27-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 03:11 PM   #74
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddreder View Post
That doesnt sound good at all.. If anything it would go with vodka!

Thats it. Let us settle all of these feuds with a drinking contest! We'll all meet up somewhere in the middle of the US (for fairness) And drink until the last man stands!
Gin! (Mind you the result is somewhat akin to Lemon Pledge)
Old 02-26-2015, 03:14 PM   #75
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMonarch View Post
Bro your personal taste is obviously being called in to question here, and of course other dude thinks your car is tooo hellaflush\slammed\stanced. Your personal choices are obviously the wrong ones and thus you should both be insulted and feel bad for making your car what you want it to be.

Fucking duh.

But really fuck guys who talk shit on your personal taste. I love your car.
Holy crap, this is new!
Never seen the good old badge wars (be carful how you pronounce that or it takes on a whole new meaning) degenerate into a stance slap fight before!
Old 02-26-2015, 03:49 PM   #76
Marx

Drives: '13 Lava FR-S 6MT
If I were to rebadge I'd go hit up a junkyard for the spelled-out "TOYOTA" badges like my Corolla used to have. I've never really liked the bean-with-a-hat thing. Either that or just get the front shaved right and go with no badges, it's not like anybody recognizes it now anyway even with the name all over it.

I'm not really embarrassed about the Scion thing anyway, Aasbo and Gushi have been making us look pretty good in the pro motorsports world and I've never gotten grief for it outside of car forums.
Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marx For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-26-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 04:15 PM   #77
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,969 Times in 11,389 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlikeahole View Post
Scion is the Mountain Dew of car brands.
Wow, don't understand that at all, even with the Marketing explanation. MD is the brand others rip off in that space...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMonarch View Post
Designed to go with Whiskey?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Gin! (Mind you the result is somewhat akin to Lemon Pledge)
Tequila! If you could pour Tequila into one of those Mountain Dew Slushie/Icee machines you might have the perfect drink.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Koa (02-26-2015), sledheadguy (02-27-2015), Tcoat (02-26-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 06:23 PM   #78
Ddreder

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 1990 Miata
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Wow, don't understand that at all, even with the Marketing explanation. MD is the brand others rip off in that space...

Tequila! If you could pour Tequila into one of those Mountain Dew Slushie/Icee machines you might have the perfect drink.
Tequila is bad juju.. I have only ever seen it negatively affect people.. There are so many other happy drinks that dont leave you in a tequila induced rage!
Ddreder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ddreder For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (02-26-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 06:48 PM   #79
headlikeahole

Drives: Ultramarine toyobaru
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Yeah because it works on certain markets. It doesn't work on 20 somethings with money however. Young people with money want to lease a cheap bmw and feel sophisticated, which is the marketing opposite of mountain dew.

*Not all young people. I'm extrapolating.
headlikeahole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to headlikeahole For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (02-26-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 06:52 PM   #80
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddreder View Post
Tequila is bad juju.. I have only ever seen it negatively affect people.. There are so many other happy drinks that dont leave you in a tequila induced rage!
might be became you live in spokompton

tequila gets me into happy rage mode. Yes that's an actual thing; Great for shows
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:39 PM   #81
Lo

Drives: Old Saturn
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post

Well, I think a huge portion of the Aussie>Subaru misassociation is because of their outback line and how they focused a bit of their marketing efforts on being 'out there' in the bush.

[...]
Haha, I remember the commercials with Crocodile Dundee and thought that Subaru was an Australian car maker because of it. That was back when I didn't know car companies aside from Toyota and Honda (slight exageration).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBatman View Post

[...]

Being a huge fan of Toyota and coming from a family that has owned Tundras, 4Runners, Solaras () and a few Lexus SUVs, I wanted to stick with the brand when looking for a cool commuter car. I HATED the fact that the car came with the Scion name. I don't consider myself part of their target demographic at all, but I still really wanted a fun-to-drive, sexy-as-hell sports car from Toyota to get me to and from work with decent MPG's so I bit the bullet, bought the FRS and popped off those Scion badges as soon as humanly possible (except for that pesky boot image splash screen on the HU).

[...] I'm more proud of the fact that its heritage is part Toyota, so those are the badges that I choose to display. At the end of the day, it doesn't come down to insecurity, just personal preference.
Quick thought : I've never really been able to understand that argument [brand association/pride in the heritage]. Obviously, I don't feel the need to associate to a brand's image. I do value a brand's product if they are known to make quality products, no matter under which banner. I just feel that wether it's a Lexus, Toyota or Scion, they come from "the same plant" (trying to think of a witty metaphore or expression... none come to mind )

I do respect this argument, and I think it's only now that I read it the way you wrote it that I can say that I do. I previously thought it sounded ridiculous to have pride in a badge as I would try comparing that argument to someone having pride in wearing Banana Republic instead of Gap. It's not so much that you prefer Banana Republic over Gap, but that you've been accustomed to it (flame me if you want over this ridiculous example . Probably the worst example possible...).

In terms of beauty in the badge's logo itself, I never really found ANY of them appealing (wether it be Scion, Toyota, Ford, Acura, BMW, Porsche, Ferrari or Lamborghini to name a few. I might like Cadillac & Aston Martin... but that's just me...). It's either a "bland" or unappealing badge to me (that Kia "K" badge anyone? ). I guess that must be the biggest thing that I find "weird" when reading a post coming from someone who enjoys the Toyota badge.

Personnally, the only thing I would want to do in the "badging" department is unbadging any name. I find it unaesthetical (probably mispelt that) to have a name on a car's rear end. Throw's the symetry off, plus I find that if you don't know what that car is, I'll leave you in the mystery (unless you politely come and ask me and we can strike up a conversation, help each other have a good day ). If you know what it is, you don't need some silly name (FR-why the hyphen-S) to remind you. Only exception would be if the car has many trim levels with varying mechanics (first example that comes to mind for me is the last gen of celica that had GT and GT-S trims, both with different engines and transmissions).

As always, at the end of the day. To each their own. It's your car. Not mine. I'm still rocking my pre-millenial Saturn and its unrusted ass
Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lo For This Useful Post:
Koa (02-26-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 08:29 PM   #82
CARBONGT86

Drives: 13 carbon accents Blk
I removed my subaru brz tags because subaru pissed me off when they didn't deal with there condensation tail lights and frozen window issue there where both service bulletins
CARBONGT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:32 PM   #83
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARBONGT86 View Post
I removed my subaru brz tags because subaru pissed me off when they didn't deal with there condensation tail lights and frozen window issue there where both service bulletins
That'll show them!
Choco (02-27-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 08:34 PM   #84
brianhj

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARBONGT86 View Post
Since Subaru pissed you off you should put Toyota badges on it hahhaha
brianhj is offline   Reply With Quote