follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-14-2015, 07:12 AM   #57
TJ3000

Drives: MT Raven Black FRS
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
@Tcoat FWIW I too almost made a financial mistake, I was buying a Rockstar Energy drink for $2.89 but... If I bought two it would come out to be $4.00 so I ended up paying $4.10 because of CRV taxes here in the states. If I didn't buy that rockstar I would've payed .89 cents extra. But some how I saved $1.69 Can you imagine!?

Fiscal responsibility people!
TJ3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TJ3000 For This Useful Post:
Andrew025 (03-14-2015), BlueDubbinTDI (03-14-2015), Tcoat (03-14-2015)
Old 03-14-2015, 08:15 AM   #58
BlueDubbinTDI

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2012 MCS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostface View Post
I wasn't trying to bash the Z in any way. I went there with the intention on buying one because I think they are nice cars. The Z is a faster car but I already own an FR-S and there just wasn't enough performance improvement for me to justify spending that much more money. I'm an aircraft mechanic. I really can't just throw money around. I appreciate my FR-S a little bit more now though. Its a awesome bargain for what you get.
Pretty much the same reason i still own mine. It's already modded and all I'm gunna do it eat money I already shouldn't be spending. My 86 will get the SBD turbo most likely and I'll just keep it forever. I'll probably get a second car before I ever traded it in at this 2 year point.
BlueDubbinTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 01:15 PM   #59
hanabie

Drives: WRB LMTD '13
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostface View Post
I was actually thinking of trading in my 2015 FR-S until I test drove the 2015 Nismo this morning. Don't get me wrong... Its a nice car. But I can't justify to myself paying $41k for a car that suppose to have 350hp but doesn't really feel that much faster and doesn't handle as well. The whole reason I even considered trading in my car was because I was thinking I wanted a car with that much HP without having to mod it and lose my warranty on the car. Think I'll just spend some money on a few mods and some wheels and appreciate the $15k I saved today.
e92 m3?
Old 03-17-2015, 03:38 PM   #60
Jose_Timberlake

Drives: Scion FRS 2.0 6AT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Ya, sometimes the act of car shopping is more fun the actual act of buying and owning!
No matter how much you like the car you have the very act of looking at others and thinking "HMMMM maybe I would like that just a little more" can get the dopamine flowing! It is the whole want vs have thing.

It is an easy trap to fall into for sure.
Couldn't even begin to tell you how many times I've fallen into this trap...so true
Jose_Timberlake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jose_Timberlake For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-17-2015)
Old 03-17-2015, 03:45 PM   #61
Jose_Timberlake

Drives: Scion FRS 2.0 6AT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by totopo View Post
Rightttt that's why 90% of the Complaints about tHe twins is the power.

And the twins are based off the imprezza, what's your point?

Cars these days have more stringent safety requirements, so they keep getting heavier. Also people want fast track times out of oem sports cars. Even when 99% of people don't track. Everyone loves talking about track times.. Why there was pushback by execs against the twins. The current trend is big hp and big hp. With big hp you have to have beefy drivetrain and beefy suspension. Tada specifically wanted to push back that trend. Why he made a lightweight low torque sports car.

I don't think I'm pushing the z... I just hate how every craps on it when it is pretty decent car and one of the only other options out there. I post here because I also think the twins are an interesting car and I cross shopped it. it's a shame that there's no physical way to have an affordable OEM car with 300hp and <3000 lbs these days.
I don't think everyone (or the majority) has crapped on the Z...but when you have someone like Chris Harris picking the Twin over the 370 while pointing out the fact that the Z beats the GT86 in almost every aspect on paper, that definitely speaks volumes.
Jose_Timberlake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jose_Timberlake For This Useful Post:
Braces (03-17-2015), Tcoat (03-17-2015)
Old 03-17-2015, 04:02 PM   #62
xuimod

Drives: 2007 MX-5 Miata, 2015 VW Golf GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
i've just done a little bit of weight reduction, an exhaust and a tune, and I'm in the mid 5's.

I'm sure it doesn't feel that much faster than MY car...I don't know what the op has done to his car.

Jaden
How much weight did you remove and how did you do it? Also, what kind of exhaust and tune? Is this on E85 or 93 octane? Have you dyno-ed your car?

Mid 5's is not easy to achieve imo but sounds like it was easy for you.

Last edited by xuimod; 03-17-2015 at 04:50 PM.
xuimod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 04:54 PM   #63
MokSpeed
Granny Shifter

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Thanked 1,289 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post
You can call all the reviews claiming they wish the car had more power "click bait" but that is because you refuse to take the blinders off. The majority of everyone who is driven and done some form of written/video review has said the car would be ideal with a little more horsepower.

There are no blinders. Half the people who wanted this car didn't do their research and went off on an impulse buy. They only have themselves to blame. Our cars look absolutely gorgeous and look fast, but if you test drove the car then you knew exactly what you were going to get. It certainly is not straight line power.

The second I heard about the joint development of this car, I knew it wouldn't eclipse 200hp. Sure it may be ideal, but Subaru would never let another car mess with the market for the Impreza.
MokSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 04:55 PM   #64
totopo

Drives: 370z
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_Timberlake View Post
I don't think everyone (or the majority) has crapped on the Z...but when you have someone like Chris Harris picking the Twin over the 370 while pointing out the fact that the Z beats the GT86 in almost every aspect on paper, that definitely speaks volumes.
Sheesh every time the 370 comes up people tout the words of Chris Harris like he is some prophet. Whereas any car reviews that review the Frs negatively get buried by getting called "click bait" or not drivers, or "don't understand".

Chris Harris loves overdriving cars and loves overrotating. If that's what you value, of course the twins are better than the 370 at that. But for perspective, I bet he loves the og Frs setup more than the brz setup, yet a lot of people chose the brz setup because it is faster at the track, and toyota migrated the Frs suspension to be like the brz. The priorities of a guy who lives driving sports cars and super cars and only jumps in other cars to review is a lot different than us lowly schmucks who have to use it as a daily driver.
totopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 01:23 AM   #65
Ashphalt_Angel

Drives: Truck
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I don't get why the weight always comes up with the 370z. It's not a heavy car compared to whats on the market right now that has similar power. I guess people just haven't driven them?

Anyways I adore 370z. The VQ engine has a great sound and makes good power. The car is also gorgeous and pretty rare around my way.

The only reason I'm getting a BRZ over a 370z is because it's better platform to drift in and I can only have 1 car now. There's literally almost no reason to buy an 86 unless you plan on sliding it imho.

Far better cars out there for the money.
Ashphalt_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:24 AM   #66
Strife26

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.blue
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashphalt_Angel View Post
I don't get why the weight always comes up with the 370z. It's not a heavy car compared to whats on the market right now that has similar power. I guess people just haven't driven them?

Anyways I adore 370z. The VQ engine has a great sound and makes good power. The car is also gorgeous and pretty rare around my way.

The only reason I'm getting a BRZ over a 370z is because it's better platform to drift in and I can only have 1 car now. There's literally almost no reason to buy an 86 unless you plan on sliding it imho.

Far better cars out there for the money.
So all of you just said and you're buying a brz? Contradicting much?

The z isn't rare anywhere is it. How long has it had that icky body style now? I know looks agent always important to a lot of people but I think it's important. When I see a z I'm not sure if it's 7-8 years old or brand new. I saw probably 20 z's today and I'm in a small town. Only saw one other twin.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:03 AM   #67
Ashphalt_Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strife26 View Post
So all of you just said and you're buying a brz? Contradicting much?

The z isn't rare anywhere is it. How long has it had that icky body style now? I know looks agent always important to a lot of people but I think it's important. When I see a z I'm not sure if it's 7-8 years old or brand new. I saw probably 20 z's today and I'm in a small town. Only saw one other twin.
I'll reiterate.. The Z is pretty rare where I live. You're in California I see. I'd expect them to be more common over there.

The age of a car has never dictated how good it looks for me. Muscle cars are 50 years old now and many look great to me.

There really isn't any new car out there at the moment that's better for drifting so yes despite the 86's flaws I'm still getting one.

I don't even get why people compare 86's and Z's. The only major thing they have even remotely similar is rwd and ball park price with both being pretty poor overall bang for buck value. (compared to competitors in the same price range).

Yet both have fairly large followings because they're really good at their intended purpose.

Last edited by Ashphalt_Angel; 03-18-2015 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Added more bold because my point still doesn't seem to be clear.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashphalt_Angel For This Useful Post:
Strife26 (03-18-2015)
Old 03-18-2015, 12:51 PM   #68
Sideways&Smiling

Drives: AP2 S2000, S14 240sx
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Eh, the FRS/BRZ has potential as a time attack/track car too... more than the Z, mostly due to weight and handling. The 350z and 370z are both plenty capable at drifting. They are RWD and have way more torque. With a locking diff and some coilovers they will drift with ease.

The FRS/BRZ is just like the 240sx/Silvia...... a light, simple RWD 2+2 coupe that can excel at drifting OR grip driving. If you ONLY want a car for drifting I'd argue that the 240sx/Silvia is a much wiser decision due to its cost..... or even a 350z, which is also pretty cheap now.

And there's no way the Z is rare in Georgia. I'm in Florida, right next to you, and they are everywhere.
Sideways&Smiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 02:08 PM   #69
Ashphalt_Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways&Smiling View Post

And there's no way the Z is rare in Georgia. I'm in Florida, right next to you, and they are everywhere.

There is a massive difference in Tampa, Florida and the countryside of southeast Georgia.

Oh yeah the Z's can drift but the weight difference can't really be ignored. Lighter cars are just more fun and easier for me.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:23 PM   #70
schlomo

Drives: mazda3, 370z
I still can't believe people buy the Nismo Z over the base or base + sport pkg. Its $12,000 more and actually slower than the base model. You should hear people try to defend their Nismo purchase on the Z forum. Those threads are always worthy.
schlomo is offline   Reply With Quote