follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-23-2015, 02:55 PM   #57
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
Yeah, if a monogram is what you wanted, why didn't you just buy one?
There are a few reasons. I've been mostly happy with my Eclipse so I didn't feel the need to plunk down the money at the time. I was living in a colder climate so I enjoyed already having my AWD and snow tires. I was also worried about some reliability concerns with the FR-S and hoping they would sort those out (which they mostly have). And yes, I was kind of hoping to see if a more significant upgrade was around the corner. Now, I do think I would want the suspension/damper tweak of the 2015+ models so that's another reason I'd rather get a newer one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MokSpeed View Post
In all the time you've spent waiting for "the right car" you could've been enjoying a twin. Not having alcantara and push start doesn't make the car any less fun to drive. It sounds like the Monogram was the car that fit all your needs. Should've grabbed one when you had the chance.
I agree those things don't effect the driving but I constantly get in and out of my car with things in my hands so the keyless access and start would help me significantly. My eyesight seems to be getting worse at night so HID's (with fog lights) would really help, and I just simply like the look and feel of the Alcantara more.

With all that said, looking back, would I have been satisfied going with the Monogram back then? Yeah, probably so. But I don't necessarily think I made a bad decision by holding out either. But it is getting to the point where I am going to have to get a new car soon. My Eclipse is simply getting too old and I want more practicality, reliability, and a different type of fun. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I was going to add several of those "ghetto mods" (Tint, clear bra, Scion spoiler) anyway but they were already on the car in the dealer's show room. It also already had lowering springs and TRD exhaust and drop in on it. The fun part was that I paid nothing for the 3rd party stuff and dealer cost for parts only on the TRD add ons. So in my case at least the extras were worth it to me since I was going to do all of that anyway and I saved a shitload of money by them already being there. Of course that was just pure luck of the draw but I am sure it happens with loads of other people as well.
I do agree though that it would be nice to be able to pick and choose some of the other options but unfortunately for good or bad the Scion business model just doesn't work that way.
Sometimes you will get a customer who happens to want all that so they can save time by driving it off the lot but I think it's a much more honest business model to just offer them at the point of sale at a reasonable price. Most of those things you could get at a third party shop for much less or even free (nitrogen).

And thanks for the link HaoHao. The closest one is about 700 miles away from me though.
Atticus808 (04-23-2015)
Old 04-23-2015, 03:07 PM   #58
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post

Sometimes you will get a customer who happens to want all that so they can save time by driving it off the lot but I think it's a much more honest business model to just offer them at the point of sale at a reasonable price. Most of those things you could get at a third party shop for much less or even free (nitrogen).
I did get them all for free or much less. That was what sold me on the car. If they had insisted on charging me the Pure Price base plus the extras I would have walked.
Bristecom (04-23-2015)
Old 04-23-2015, 03:35 PM   #59
drewbot
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S A/T
Thanked 1,452 Times in 752 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmong337 View Post
I hope that whatever revision/updates to the mid-cycle refresh can be applicable to our first gen models.
The beefier suspension SOUNDS like it might be a Toyota part # we can eventually look up and retrofit, with perhaps some minor modification, but still very plug and play

I'm thinking sorta how WRX/STi parts bins are...
drewbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 03:46 PM   #60
MokSpeed
Granny Shifter

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Thanked 1,289 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tromatic View Post
Hey, thanks for promoting my speculation (what speculation?) to the level of "fact". Odd that you would go with speculation over fact, but what the heck.

Some people call that religion.

Regardless if it's speculation or fact, it was definitely an interesting read by Moto-P.
MokSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:04 PM   #61
torqdork

Drives: RV-7
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterGreene View Post
I think you misunderstand Pure Price. Its not that the price never changes, in fact it does. You just don't haggle for the price. I don't know many places that had new 10 series cars sitting out for a while (and some places did, even a year after they were released) that are still going to sell them for original MSRP.
Unless research turns up what is surely the best deal anyone of the forum ever got for a new FR-S, not to mention it's a 10 Series, that @F3RGY68 engineered for $19,100.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scion-FR-S-1...US_Cars_Trucks
torqdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:07 PM   #62
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
So can I get the HID and LED headlamps as an add-on from scion? No. Can I get keyless access/start as an add-on from Scion? No. Can I get the nicer leather/alcantara seats as an add-on from Scion? No. Well, what can I get? Some overpriced third party components.

And if a car has been sitting on the lot for over a year then in my opinion, it's no longer new. I just want to be able to negotiate prices on a new vehicle like you can at every other car manufacturer's dealer. And I want to be able to pay more for official manufacturer options like those listed above. Sure, they mostly got it right with the Monogram but again, why limit the production? It's like they're trying not to make money here.

But yeah, the dealers who add those options either keep them quiet and pretend it's just part of the base price or lie to their customers to make it sound like they're getting a good deal. I should show you what they priced the add-ons at. It was like $100 for nitrogen in tires, $800 for "coating", $1000 for tint, and a few other ghetto mods. But yeah, obviously I would never buy from them and will look elsewhere but still, I feel bad for the suckers who do and think it gives Toyota a bad name.

Just to make things better fore U

What color option they can Order in Japan

The old one

& the New one starting this year (it's really nice in person - more upscale)
Attached Images

chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:51 PM   #63
Atticus808

Drives: Splash Mountain
Thanked 2,337 Times in 918 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I've been holding out to save some $$$ since I just bought a house and am getting married. the neighbourhood is also new so there's tons of dirt from construction.

and I also didn't want to buy a first year model incase of any significant issues
Atticus808 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Atticus808 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-23-2015)
Old 04-23-2015, 09:02 PM   #64
Bristecom

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoskaze View Post

Yeah man, I would love to have options like that... I may not be rich but I want to feel like I am in an expensive supercar, LOL.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:28 PM   #65
Wise
Circle Work Clerk

Drives: 2012 Mt. Fuji Red Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoskaze View Post

That Tan interior would go really nicely with the Hot Lava/Velocity Orange and Raven Black cars.
Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:29 PM   #66
Wise
Circle Work Clerk

Drives: 2012 Mt. Fuji Red Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Also wish I had that red accents interior in my 2012 Firestorm.

I have the black and grey with red stitching leather/alacantara interior..
Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:26 PM   #67
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarb View Post
Not much changes if any, it still kicks in when in off mode, and any sort of wheel lift or traction loss it kicks in. Maybe the limit at where it turns on is higher now.
The way I interpret it is that all driver aides are disabled to "analog" style cars with ABS, TC, VSC, off totally for the 2016 MY.

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 11:54 PM   #68
torqdork

Drives: RV-7
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah man, I would love to have options like that... I may not be rich but I want to feel like I am in an expensive supercar, LOL.
If you want the best possible deal, you'll most likely need to buy outside of the selling area of your private Toyota/Scion distributorship, Southeast Toyota, that gets to set it's own rules re: pricing, shipping and content vs. the other ten TMS factory owned regions.
torqdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:10 PM   #69
Bristecom

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqdork View Post
If you want the best possible deal, you'll most likely need to buy outside of the selling area of your private Toyota/Scion distributorship, Southeast Toyota, that gets to set it's own rules re: pricing, shipping and content vs. the other ten TMS factory owned regions.
Hmm, thanks. I'll have to look into that.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:29 PM   #70
Tromatic
Banned

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 1,728 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Cna bairly tipe, jyst bakc fom sok withh mIster,. Tada confermd knewe FRS- will bee LFA LFA bagded FR_S. I hat sAke so much, Mr T.adad swiched to vodddka.
Tromatic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tromatic For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-27-2015)