follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-05-2015, 08:13 PM   #141
NemesisPrime909

Drives: 91 Toyota Supra 16 Nissan Versa
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Does anyone know what the new red looks like?
Old 05-05-2015, 08:57 PM   #142
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisPrime909 View Post
Does anyone know what the new red looks like?
Hard to tell from a pic but certainly different than Firestorm
Old 05-05-2015, 09:05 PM   #143
svtfever

Drives: 14 GMC Sierra SLE CC 4x4.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I like it
svtfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:26 PM   #144
FRSupra

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post
but the "bright silver interior accents" has me extremely nervous. It'll likely just end up making it even more cheap looking and prone to revealing scratches.

Edit: I just realized they're talking about the silver accents they've already had... maybe they're brighter now?
This is weird because it's actually going against team 86's "anti glare material intensive" cockpit. With every release they are going backwards.

I'm happy I have a 13.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x1UP View Post
God, what a surprise...not. Everyone and their mother knew that Toyota and Subaru weren't going to add any power.

The more you wait, the more you are wasting time not letting yourself experience a true sports car.
What?
FRSupra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSupra For This Useful Post:
Bristecom (05-06-2015)
Old 05-05-2015, 10:31 PM   #145
Racer-X

Drives: 2016 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
have not read thread after posting early on but... damn it i want an oem back up camera.

wonder how much it'll cost for the parts
You mean like this: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65777
Racer-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 04:30 AM   #146
asdf
Loading...████████] 99%

Drives: #0517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer-X View Post
I've had that thread in my subscriptions for a long time, still thinking about it. I'll just wait and see if the one they decide to use for the new frs is any different and go from there...
asdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:38 AM   #147
Quentin

Drives: ‘16 4Runner, ‘19 Corolla HB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Aww yeah, non-monogram with wheels, body kit, maybe some TuRD stuff on it for a bargain basement $36k. Thanks Pure Pricing!

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...9098/overview/

At least pure pricing lets you know not to bother even calling the dealer.

#silverlining #glasshalffull

Sent from Tandy 400
Quentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:34 AM   #148
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSupra View Post
This is weird because it's actually going against team 86's "anti glare material intensive" cockpit. With every release they are going backwards.
How have they gone backwards?

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:40 PM   #149
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,483 Times in 5,000 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
How have they gone backwards?
A car about driving purity and minimal distractions reminiscent of former glory days gets touchscreen in the dashboard, tweaked suspension to smooth out the ride (at least compared to the '13), a rear backup camera and voice recognition. Not to mention the dual climate control, push-button start, HID's on the special edition.

We didn't expect a Caterham but it certainly does feel like, as expected, over the years Toyota has incrementally broadened the appeal past the "hardcore" (not actually hardcore) people the car was aimed at who craved the sports cars of the 50's-90's whether they be Italian, British, German, or Japanese, when FM radio was a luxury.

Sure it's easy to say these changes do not affect the driving experience, and for the most part they don't/won't, when you're laying the power down coming out of a corner you're not thinking about a backup camera or that your shift knob glows. But to those of us who lusted after cars that make no sense in a modern world, Sprites, Spitfires, TR6's, GTV/GTV6, 2002's, RX-3, AE86, AW11 MR2, NA Miata's, 944's and E30's, each extra button, every extra pound that doesn't improve the performance is a tiny step away from the car we wanted as we watch the price climb from the original proudly proclaimed <$25k to over $26k.

Yup, I'm a romantic, but I'm just glad I have a car built in 2012. Many decades from now there will be the inevitable perpetual question: "There's a '13 for $X and a '16+ for $Y, which one should I get?" and someone will mention how the touch screen in the '16 is crap like all other touchscreens built before 20XX and the '13 is a little more pure without that rear-view backup camera and softened suspension.

Oh and that the mawds on it suck.

strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
lastexile1987 (05-07-2015)
Old 05-07-2015, 02:06 PM   #150
Veloist

Drives: ‘93 MR2, ‘22 GR86, ‘23 GR Corolla
Thanked 1,713 Times in 668 Posts
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Going backwards would be something like adding a turbo because since a majority of the car's heritage was influenced by the pure AE86--shifting the paradigm away from that concept defeats the purpose of using the AE86 as inspiration.

I believe all new cars need a backup camera by 2017 anyways, so it was inevitable.
Old 05-07-2015, 03:56 PM   #151
stevesnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
A car about driving purity and minimal distractions reminiscent of former glory days gets touchscreen in the dashboard, tweaked suspension to smooth out the ride (at least compared to the '13), a rear backup camera and voice recognition. Not to mention the dual climate control, push-button start, HID's on the special edition.

We didn't expect a Caterham but it certainly does feel like, as expected, over the years Toyota has incrementally broadened the appeal past the "hardcore" (not actually hardcore) people the car was aimed at who craved the sports cars of the 50's-90's whether they be Italian, British, German, or Japanese, when FM radio was a luxury.

Sure it's easy to say these changes do not affect the driving experience, and for the most part they don't/won't, when you're laying the power down coming out of a corner you're not thinking about a backup camera or that your shift knob glows. But to those of us who lusted after cars that make no sense in a modern world, Sprites, Spitfires, TR6's, GTV/GTV6, 2002's, RX-3, AE86, AW11 MR2, NA Miata's, 944's and E30's, each extra button, every extra pound that doesn't improve the performance is a tiny step away from the car we wanted as we watch the price climb from the original proudly proclaimed <$25k to over $26k.

Yup, I'm a romantic, but I'm just glad I have a car built in 2012. Many decades from now there will be the inevitable perpetual question: "There's a '13 for $X and a '16+ for $Y, which one should I get?" and someone will mention how the touch screen in the '16 is crap like all other touchscreens built before 20XX and the '13 is a little more pure without that rear-view backup camera and softened suspension.

Oh and that the mawds on it suck.

I can understand your passion, I just am not as picky in those areas as some are. The fact they are going to allow all the driver aids off for an "Analog" driving experience is more important to me than the radio but it's a requirement for a backup camera. I don't care for the flashy bits but I'll put up with it. If I had a choice between the 7" HU or the driver aids disable, of course I'd choose the aids' disable. But each have their own opinion but sounds more like buyer's remorse than a purity thing. Deep down it's still a Front Engine Rear wheel drive Sports car. When the engineer Tada makes these changes for the better then I think getting a '16 is still holding onto those core ideals of the car.

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
The Following User Says Thank You to stevesnj For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (05-07-2015)
Old 05-07-2015, 03:59 PM   #152
stevesnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloist View Post
Going backwards would be something like adding a turbo because since a majority of the car's heritage was influenced by the pure AE86--shifting the paradigm away from that concept defeats the purpose of using the AE86 as inspiration.

I believe all new cars need a backup camera by 2017 anyways, so it was inevitable.
Yeh agreed. FI is not what Tada wants and has stated many times he won't put any FI on them.

The camera is required on 100% of all vehicles sold in the USA by 2018

My 2016 Build thread

The Following User Says Thank You to stevesnj For This Useful Post:
Veloist (05-07-2015)
Old 05-07-2015, 04:10 PM   #153
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
I When the engineer Tada makes these changes for the better then I think getting a '16 is still holding onto those core ideals of the car.
LOL, the way you say "The Engineer Tada" it sounds like some science fiction movie where in a dystopian future car engineers are worshiped as gods!

As each year passes by The Wise and Wonderful Engineer Tada will lose a little more control of the car to the marketing crowd. Other than a few very minor points all the model years so far (including the 16s) have remained at least basically the same. As the marketing folks gain more control it will probably evolve into something more Genesis like.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:42 PM   #154
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,483 Times in 5,000 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
If I had a choice between the 7" HU or the driver aids disable, of course I'd choose the aids' disable.
That's a fair point, we will see if that comes to fruition, hopefully as it's software controlled the rest of us can gain access to that capability eventually. I wonder how it will affect the EBD given what we've seen CSG post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
LOL, the way you say "The Engineer Tada" it sounds like some science fiction movie where in a dystopian future car engineers are worshiped as gods!
I very nearly just changed my user title to "The Engineer" but I don't want to be "that guy" anymore than I already am...
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote