follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-10-2015, 05:52 AM   #57
FR-Shred

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
the "cop not showing" isnt always a dropped charge anymore, they reschedule a lot of times depending on the area.

I went to court for my last ticket and ended up with the same result (same ticket and same cost) and $30 in court fees extra so it was a waste for me. Its up to you tho.

Last edited by FR-Shred; 05-10-2015 at 06:23 AM.
FR-Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 05:54 AM   #58
FR-Shred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwisak View Post
I didn't know what your local rules were. I know my state is very unfriendly when it comes to speeding

When a driver exceeds 85 mph anywhere
When a driver exceeds 35 mph while near a school crossing
When a driver exceeds a posted speed limit by 20 mph in a business or residential area
When a driver exceeds 45 mph when no speed is posted in a business or residential area
I got a speeding ticket in AZ about 8 years ago going 114 in a 55 (freeway) and it was only a speeding ticket, did things change?
Old 05-10-2015, 09:07 AM   #59
dnieves

Drives: FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by F3RGY68 View Post
Mine was dropped 9mph for showing up for court and taking the class. However, I plan if I get another ticket (hope not), on debating that I was speeding. This obviously would go smoother if the cop doesn't show. You're innocent until proven guilty, my defense would be there is no way you can prove 100% without a doubt that you were speeding.

Equipment fails, and radar guns in particular need calibration and adjustment. One type uses radio waves, another light. Both of which can be affected by external sources (weather, other devices, light reflections, etc.) Unless calibration records are provided, and they are as recent as the day you were clocked, then I'd say it's worth a shot. Otherwise, take the class and it doesn't go on license record. I know I paid for the ticket on insurance though for 3 years.

When it comes to traffic court, it's like France here, you're guilty until proven innocent. Judges automatically assume the officer is correct and you're just another scofflaw. Judges feel the officer is just impartially doing his job (no more/no less) and you were not heeding the posted speed limit. Counties are strapped for cash and speeding tickets are a two fold winner -brings in money and deter reckless driving. Can you price a lawyer? In some cases spending $300 and doing a few hours community service can get this bumped down to just a hardware malfunction (ex. broken light) and it'll be like it never happened (good for your license and insurance).

Keep in mind, lawyers (like doctors) can only go by their past experience and can't promise you a definite positive outcome (you could lose -sting paying their fee on top of getting points/paying fines).

Good luck!
dnieves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:10 AM   #60
dnieves

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-Shred View Post
the "cop not showing" isnt always a dropped charge anymore, they reschedule a lot of times depending on the area.

I went to court for my last ticket and ended up with the same result (same ticket and same cost) and $30 in court fees extra so it was a waste for me. Its up to you tho.

True! I have heard they can reschedule but a lot of times the officers show up because it's easy OverTime for them. This happened 10 ten years ago to me, luckily the officer didn't show up because he retired.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:43 AM   #61
Kwisak

Drives: 2013 BRZ GBS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-Shred View Post
I got a speeding ticket in AZ about 8 years ago going 114 in a 55 (freeway) and it was only a speeding ticket, did things change?
Not sure about 8 years back. I know someone who was 21mph over on the I-17 going to flagstaff that got one and that was about 6 years back. He was issued a criminal speeding ticket and The officer said he was being kind not taking him in for it right then. I know it depends on the officer.
Kwisak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 12:11 PM   #62
Caspeed

Drives: FRS-RS1, Triumph Speed Triple, Lola
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WGMGR View Post
Got my first speeding ticket. (78 in a 55) should I go to court and try to get them to give me the class so it doesn't go on my insurance? I hear if the cop doesn't show its in my favor.. And that more cops don't show in summer.

What's your advise? I don't care about paying it, I'd rather actually pay more and not have it on my record.
I agree with the majority of posts here. But the best solution is to avoid getting one in the 1st place. That doesn't always work so the next best thing is to not stand out to the cop as he give you the ticket. You can have a plesant conversation with them. But if that doesn't work shut up and accept it. If you argue, raise your voice or give them sh#t. They will make it a point to show up on your court date
Caspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 02:34 PM   #63
FR-Shred

Quote:
Not sure about 8 years back. I know someone who was 21mph over on the I-17 going to flagstaff that got one and that was about 6 years back. He was issued a criminal speeding ticket and The officer said he was being kind not taking him in for it right then. I know it depends on the officer.
It was a site and release, basically the same as being taken to the station and processed and then released. But all I was actually charged with was a speeding ticket that was a mandatory court appearance, which ended with a almost $900 speeding ticket. 59 over the speed limit in a 55 will do that, and I was also going faster than what he got me on the radar for. Kingman AZ back when I was young and dumb.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:24 AM   #64
wickedfrsgrl

Drives: 2014 Ultramarine Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Well I got my first speeding ticket ever. Not bad for having my license for 19 years. I didn't even realize how fast I was going....yeah I know excuses. It was early morning and I was not even a half mile from work. I never seen the cops sitting there running radar. Well I pulled in to work and yeah they were behind me. When she came up to my window she said I was a little concerned because you were traveling fast. I was doing 60 in a 45. Oops. Anyway she ran my license and came back with my ticket. She told me she knocked it down to 54 in a 45. Thank you miss sheriff. I paid the $131.00 ticket and opted in for the online driving school. Once completed no points to my record or no insurance increase. So I have learned my lesson....I think and have been driving normal speeds. I do swear that my car has a bullseye on it, I went home for lunch one day and I just had to have a Florida Highway Patrol officer right behind me. I know he was waiting for a slip up. He followed me until I pulled into my apartment complex and he went on. Yes I was doing grandma speeds. Now if they would just pull over the mini vans that are booking down the road. Go get them pleaseeeeeeee.
wickedfrsgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:31 AM   #65
Lord-Hydro

Drives: 13 GT8RZ-S, 96 Miata
You got lucky with just a speeding ticket, Id say pay up and take accountability for speeding... if not, just gamble on getting away with it
Lord-Hydro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:59 PM   #66
Devante
Crescent fresh at best.

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S - Asphalt
The first thing I'd do is request a trial by written declaration.

Basically, you write your side of the story and submit any evidence.
The officer may do the same.

You don't actually go to court.
Then a judge reads it and decides.

The best thing about this is that if he decides against you, you then have a chance to say that you want to go to court. There's literally no reason not to do this. You don't lose anything and the worst that could happen is they deny you and you end up going to court anyway.

I did this with a speeding ticket. I gathered all this information and calculations and submitted it only to be found not guilty due to the officer not filing out his side of the story. Most likely it got buried under all the other paperwork he has to do. I say this because I actually used to work with him and the police station and saw what his everyday work life was like.

Anyway, look it up. It's in several states.

Here's the actual form you fill out: http://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/tr205.pdf

More info: http://www.dmv.org/ca-california/fig...laration-Trial
Devante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:37 PM   #67
dnieves

Quote:

If you try that in Boston they'll lock you up and impound the car.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:19 PM   #68
PNW FRS

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Pay your debt to society...

A LEO friend of mine once gave me wise advice..

"If you know you were wrong... pay up." "Consider THIS time of getting caught as "makeup" for ALL the times you didn't get caught breaking the posted max speed."

That said, going to "Remediation" (aka Traffic School) might (might) help keep the "points" off your driving record - and possibly keep your insurance premimum from raising IF your insurance company catches the infraction during one of their random sweeps of court data.
The Following User Says Thank You to PNW FRS For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-19-2015)
Old 05-19-2015, 06:17 PM   #69
eSOLOR

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Got my first ticket ever and it was for being on the phone I had someone on speaker and a highway patrol flew past me and saw the phone in my hand... Anyone know if it'll affect my insurance?
eSOLOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:23 PM   #70
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eSOLOR View Post
Got my first ticket ever and it was for being on the phone I had someone on speaker and a highway patrol flew past me and saw the phone in my hand... Anyone know if it'll affect my insurance?
Don't know about there but here you would have been better off running from the cop, having a high speed chase, running people off the road and crashing into a roadblock then getting caught with your phone in your hand since the penalties would probably be less.