follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-08-2013, 01:43 PM   #15
Tylub

Drives: Raven Black FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
Catted/resonated front pipe will help a lot, and the cat in the header will also help. The resonator in the Magnaflow midpipe is rather short. A longer one like in the Perrin/OEM resonated catback will likely get rid of most if not all the rasp.
seconded

instagram @Tylub
Mods: Tomei UELs, Tomei OP, Perrin Catted FP, ARK DT-S, Perrin LW Crank Pulley, Enkei RPF1, RSR Sporti, Supertek Intake Tube, Perrin CAI, Stoptech SS lines/brakes/slotted rotors, Cusco MCB brace/Strut Bar
Tylub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #16
CircuitJerk
Pull my finger...

Drives: Silver Scion Slushbox
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Does it sound like metal tacks in a jar or like a flock of pigeons taking off with that little chirpy sound? (not to be confused with the cricket noise associated with the fuel pump)
CircuitJerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #17
Tainen

Drives: First SWP BRZ-L
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
I'd probably junk the AP frontpipe personally. One of the more raspy ones out there, and people have had problems with fitment and leaking where they bolt up. Dropping a front pipe with a cat in there, and maybe even with a resonator, will get rid of most of the rasp, especially since you've got a decent catback already.

You also need to triple check for an exhaust leak.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tainen For This Useful Post:
seant2h (05-29-2015)
Old 05-08-2013, 02:37 PM   #18
GOT FR-S

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (Firestorm)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Flutter/Pudder is just the boxer engine sound. I have a Rev works header, Resonated Invidia top pipe and Greddy EVO3 exhaust. I have zero rasp though and I have no cats.
Vortech SC. Rev Work Header, Perrin over pipe, Invidia resonated top pipe, Greddy EVO3 exhaust, Perrin Light weight crank pulley, Gofast bits lightweight waterpump & alternator pulleys, Perrin Trans & Shifter mount, MTec Shift springs. Cusco rear diff brace, 1pc Alum Drive Shaft (Drive Shaft Shop), ATC performance clutch & Flywheel, Whiteline Positive traction bushings. Grimspeed hood struts. EcuTek Tune.
GOT FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:03 PM   #19
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
This is probably going to sound obvious and stupid, but have you changed the oil since the break-in period?
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:37 PM   #20
Scalzo

Drives: Asphalt FRS <3
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by radroach View Post
This is probably going to sound obvious and stupid, but have you changed the oil since the break-in period?
Just went to toyota to get an oil change, seems as though my magnaflow exhaust is leaking? the pipe between the muffler + resonater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOT FR-S View Post
Flutter/Pudder is just the boxer engine sound. I have a Rev works header, Resonated Invidia top pipe and Greddy EVO3 exhaust. I have zero rasp though and I have no cats.
Hmmm, I might have to change some parts then... Probably going to get the Invidia Front pipe catted + resonated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainen View Post
I'd probably junk the AP frontpipe personally. One of the more raspy ones out there, and people have had problems with fitment and leaking where they bolt up. Dropping a front pipe with a cat in there, and maybe even with a resonator, will get rid of most of the rasp, especially since you've got a decent catback already.

You also need to triple check for an exhaust leak.
At first i thought it was the AP but it seems as it's the magnaflow, fuuuuuck i cant live with this sound though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircuitJerk View Post
Does it sound like metal tacks in a jar or like a flock of pigeons taking off with that little chirpy sound? (not to be confused with the cricket noise associated with the fuel pump)
LOL! flock of pigeons, but more like a tracktor at a farm,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
Catted/resonated front pipe will help a lot, and the cat in the header will also help. The resonator in the Magnaflow midpipe is rather short. A longer one like in the Perrin/OEM resonated catback will likely get rid of most if not all the rasp.
I think i'm gonna get the Invidia front pipe catted/resonated, if that doesn't help i'll have to get the headers catted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_sb View Post
if you have an exhaust leak you should be able to see it by inspecting all the gasket locations with a flashlight, all around the ports / joints. You will see black soot. You have to really look for it, not just half ass it. I suspect the shops you had look at it may have just glanced at it or put it on the lift and ran it at idle.

Leak or hitting are most likely as others have said.
I went to Toyota today and he was able to take a look at it no problem, he showed me that there was infact an exhaust leak in the catback.

Now i'm deciding wether to change my whole set up, or what.. SRT headerback sounds siiiick! but i need something quiet but mean. to go along with my EL headers
Old 05-09-2013, 01:01 PM   #21
Tainen

Drives: First SWP BRZ-L
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Sorry to hear you have an exhaust leak. no fun. You should contact the manufacturer, or get new gaskets, or try a workaround for now to see if it helps. Exhaust leaks can definitely add tons of volume.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #22
Scalzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainen View Post
Sorry to hear you have an exhaust leak. no fun. You should contact the manufacturer, or get new gaskets, or try a workaround for now to see if it helps. Exhaust leaks can definitely add tons of volume.
I brought it to 3-4 garages and everyone told me basically to fuck off lol
So i ended up buying an invidia cat back Q300 + invidia front pipe resonated , should be getting it this week. hopefully i don't have the same problem!
Old 05-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #23
Readytoxplod
Tire Destroyer

Drives: Firestorm+snail
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
post a video once they're installed!
Old 05-11-2013, 08:53 PM   #24
Scalzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readytoxplod View Post
post a video once they're installed!
Will do
Old 05-28-2015, 10:05 PM   #25
sirsol66

Drives: 2013 FRS- Hot Lava
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalzo View Post
Will do
Sorry to bump an old thread but I'm having the same low RPM "tractor" noise. I've inspected all of the gaskets and no leaks. I even replaced all of the gaskets just in case and inspected the flanges; again, no leaks. The noise is driving me crazy though.

Is it just a noise from the thin wall construction of UEL headers? Curious to know what you found.
sirsol66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:30 AM   #26
Scalzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsol66 View Post
Sorry to bump an old thread but I'm having the same low RPM "tractor" noise. I've inspected all of the gaskets and no leaks. I even replaced all of the gaskets just in case and inspected the flanges; again, no leaks. The noise is driving me crazy though.

Is it just a noise from the thin wall construction of UEL headers? Curious to know what you found.
Heyy, I'll be getting the car on the lift later today, I'll see if I can find something.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:12 AM   #27
Alott53

Drives: Whiteout 2014 FRS AT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Have the same noise as well. Got all gaskets changed in header and checked for leaks. Someone told me it was just due to the thin steel tubing. Happens around 2000 rpm for me.
Alott53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:11 AM   #28
sirsol66

Drives: 2013 FRS- Hot Lava
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Same here, last night I did another check and all gaskets are good, no carbon anywhere, can't see any leaks with soapy water spray or paper check. Same low RPM putter noise. Maybe header wrap is in my future?
sirsol66 is offline   Reply With Quote