follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-24-2015, 12:54 PM   #15
IrishTG

Drives: 2015 Ford Focus ST
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I agree with the others, don't do it. As long as you have at least one semi-decent family vehicle, one kid isn't worth the financial hit to give up the less practical 2nd car. When my first son was still in a rear facing seat I had a 2dr Jeep Wrangler and my wife drove a Dodge Caliber and you better believe I didn't give up the Jeep because it was impractical for the kid. I mean it was useless... The seat fit, but there was no room for the huge infant stroller (literally didn't fit at all), diaper bags, and other such things you carry with an infant. All we did was use her car, and if she needed to go off and leave me with the kid, she took the Jeep and I kept the practical car.

When our 2nd was on the way, which still doesn't warrant huge changes in my opinion now that I have hindsight experience, we gave into the stigma and dumped the Jeep. Because of the financial hit (it was brand new when I bought it and only 1.5 years old when he was on the way), we ended up getting a Nissan-freaking-Cube since it was the only one that had the room (amazing roomy for such a tiny car) and fit the price thanks to the hit on the Jeep. You know how many times the new infant went in that car while still in a rear facing seat? Twice.

If you both had coupes, sure, something's gotta give, but for one kid, and in a lot of cases even two, don't give up the second car as long as you have at least one that can do family duty. 3+ kids, sure, that's a little different, but not one. This assumes your misses can drive your car and car swapping is feasible. Even if she doesn't 'like' driving it like we hear so often about wives/girlfriends and sports cars, if she 'can' drive it when absolutely necessary, don't take the financial hit.
IrishTG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IrishTG For This Useful Post:
phobos512 (08-24-2015), why? (08-24-2015)
Old 08-24-2015, 01:44 PM   #16
Bamsterman

Drives: 13' Scion FRS
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Get a divorce. Honestly what type of crap is that? There is zero reason to change cars with 1 baby. You might as well get a bunch of cash and light it on fire.

The FRS was made to fit car seats. That baby needs to be in the back anyways, and won't be tall enough for there be a problem until it is 4 or 5. No reason to throw away money now.
Its possible to get a rear facing seat in the back....but EXTREMELY difficult getting the child in the seat.
Bamsterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:52 PM   #17
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
It all depends on how often you have the baby+another passenger with you.
I did it every day with a rear facer and later forward facing when my daughter was old enough.
If it's only you and the baby it's no problem. If someone else has to sit in the front seat regularly then it gets annoying unless they're small. Even then, there's not much room. The seat has to go all the way forward and almost completely straight up if the rear facing child seat is installed correctly

It comes down to whether or not you want to deal with the hassle. Try it for a few months and see if you change your mind.

As for the unneeded relationship advice...
If the car is a point of contention after having the baby, it's not worth it to keep it... obviously.

(I'm talking about the car, not the baby).
Andrew025 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew025 For This Useful Post:
HunterGreene (08-24-2015), Tcoat (08-24-2015)
Old 08-24-2015, 01:56 PM   #18
BWilky

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
In NH, there is a 10 series with 5,155 miles on it, 6 speed stick for $20,995 and has been available for a few weeks.

BWilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:58 PM   #19
torqdork

Drives: RV-7
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
eBay Motors completed listings is a good indicator of demand and resale price.

During the past 90 days, 24 FR-S MY2013's were for sale. Only 2 of those sold, one near you with upgrades and similar mileage for $15,299, the other undisclosed since the seller took a best offer bid.

In my experience buying and selling on eBay Motors, the selling price usually splits the difference between private sale and dealer trade-in.

If you decide to sell, try free Craigslist for a couple of weeks with a detailed description and lots of pics. If that doesn't work, try eBay auction (not classifieds) with both pics and video but act fast given that selling season for sports cars ends soon in your area.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Cars-Trucks-...p2045573.m1684
torqdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 02:06 PM   #20
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamsterman View Post
Its possible to get a rear facing seat in the back....but EXTREMELY difficult getting the child in the seat.
Are you referring to an infant seat? I did it for almost 18 months without an issue, you just have to strap the kid in first, then loading was simple. Once it was a rear-facing convertible seat, you can either carefully maneuver your child in there while holding them from the opposite side (I recommend having the baby/child seat behind the passenger seat, so you would be getting into the car from the driver's side) or put them in the car first, climb in after them and then strap them in. Once you can switch it to a front-facing seat, it gets a ton easier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It has priests in it?
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 02:13 PM   #21
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
There is always the option of what I did when my kids were little:

+

Andrew025 (08-24-2015)
Old 08-24-2015, 02:18 PM   #22
Bamsterman

Drives: 13' Scion FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterGreene View Post
Are you referring to an infant seat? I did it for almost 18 months without an issue, you just have to strap the kid in first, then loading was simple. Once it was a rear-facing convertible seat, you can either carefully maneuver your child in there while holding them from the opposite side (I recommend having the baby/child seat behind the passenger seat, so you would be getting into the car from the driver's side) or put them in the car first, climb in after them and then strap them in. Once you can switch it to a front-facing seat, it gets a ton easier.
Convertible rear facing. Like I said, its possible, but its still not easy. My child is currently in this stage. I take him to daycare every morning. Its not fun getting him out of there...lol
Bamsterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 02:24 PM   #23
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamsterman View Post
Convertible rear facing. Like I said, its possible, but its still not easy. My child is currently in this stage. I take him to daycare every morning. Its not fun getting him out of there...lol
Ah, yes, and I take my daughter to daycare every morning as well. When getting out, depending on how its set up, you can either lift him out and put him just outside the car (not as safe), or pull him out of the seat, put him next to you and kind of back out of the car, lifting him out after you have exited the car. I managed to do this for a while without permanently damaging myself
Quote:
It has priests in it?
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 02:25 PM   #24
Andrew025

I used to just sit in the driver seat then lean it all the way back and place the baby in
Andrew025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 02:39 PM   #25
LucidMomentum
No Money, No Problems

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S (Halo White)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
There is always the option of what I did when my kids were little:
Ah yes, USDM bucket seats.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:31 PM   #26
Shady195

Drives: '13 10 Series FRS #1203
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
It's really going to depend on the area in which you live and method of sale..

I bought my 10 series, absoloutely mint aside from a few paint chips from normal wear and tear with 9kmi on it a TRD factory exhaust, Springs factory installed, fog lights for $20k + taxes and fees.. original sticker MSRP as optioned was 30k and change
Shady195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:37 PM   #27
Andrew025

Wow, those FRS on eBay are cheap.
Maybe in a year or two once the LS swaps are finalized I can pick one up with a blown engine for dirt cheap.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:41 PM   #28
Shady195

Drives: '13 10 Series FRS #1203
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew025 View Post
Wow, those FRS on eBay are cheap.
Maybe in a year or two once the LS swaps are finalized I can pick one up with a blown engine for dirt cheap.
I plan on building a pro-am spec drift car within the next few years. I probably won't use my 10 series and am waiting for just that. A parts FRS I can swap something into or just a higher mileage slightly beat up one super cheap.
Shady195 is offline   Reply With Quote