follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 12-26-2015, 03:13 PM   #15
bottle

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Shiv mentioned that he's working to allow exceptions to the original ROM file being loaded for people who've had issues like us. I'm also in a similar situation where my stock ROM is a Stage1 tune because my OFT also bricked out (to which they replaced it).

I'm guessing tactrix is a device that let's you flash OEM tunes back on the car without a footprint? Essentially allowing you to get your stock ROM back on the OFT by default?
bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bottle For This Useful Post:
kodyo (12-26-2015)
Old 12-26-2015, 03:13 PM   #16
kodyo

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elBarto View Post
You can ask the dealer. Since you have a very old CalId, it's not that strange to ask for an ecu update.
Just called my local dealer, they wouldn't do it. Not to say that I couldn't find one that would if I just showed up and demanded it or paid for the time to install. What happens if they find the custom tune on the ECU when I take it in?
kodyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 04:04 PM   #17
elBarto

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodyo View Post
Just called my local dealer, they wouldn't do it. Not to say that I couldn't find one that would if I just showed up and demanded it or paid for the time to install. What happens if they find the custom tune on the ECU when I take it in?
Why not? Why would a dealer refuse a ECU update of a car? You ask for it, you pay for it and done. It's a 15min job. At least that's the case in my country.

They won't see that's a custom tune since it doesn't change anything, it will look like a stock rom. If you had an ECUtek-tune that would be a problem since they embed their license code in the rom.
The Following User Says Thank You to elBarto For This Useful Post:
kodyo (12-27-2015)
Old 12-27-2015, 04:39 AM   #18
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
My best hope at this point is that I can get a new tablet and I have to live with the fact that's it is unsellable since unmating it would put custom tune in car instead of stock tune.
Why would it be unsellable? I don't see the issue....

OFT becomes unmarried, sell it on. Car comes with Stage 1 Tune, most see that as a bonus.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 12:52 PM   #19
kodyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
Why would it be unsellable? I don't see the issue....

OFT becomes unmarried, sell it on. Car comes with Stage 1 Tune, most see that as a bonus.
I don't have a stage 1 tune in the car. I have a custom 93 octane E-tune that is for none of the stock components.

Same issue if I want to sell the tablet and stick with the stock tune, I wouldn't want to have to the E-tune in california (91 octane only, no aftermarket exhaust anymore).
Old 12-28-2015, 02:25 PM   #20
kodyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by elBarto View Post
You can ask the dealer. Since you have a very old CalId, it's not that strange to ask for an ecu update.
So I took the car to the dealership where a member of our car club works. They couldn't reflash the stock tune back since their device only updates tunes. That's what he said and I trust he isnt jerking me around given his affiliation with the club. Said the only way for dealership to fix was new ECU.

I'll wait to see if open flash gets back to me, so far they haven't answered my Email or phone calls.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:31 PM   #21
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,129 Times in 1,194 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:

I'll wait to see if open flash gets back to me, so far they haven't answered my Email or phone calls.
I know it's the holidays, but dang they are hold to get a hold of...

Keep calling...maybe on an off chance someone will pick up
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lonewolf For This Useful Post:
kodyo (12-28-2015)
Old 12-28-2015, 02:32 PM   #22
elBarto

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
So I took the car to the dealership where a member of our car club works. They couldn't reflash the stock tune back since their device only updates tunes. That's what he said and I trust he isnt jerking me around given his affiliation with the club. Said the only way for dealership to fix was new ECU.
That's possible, internally the OFT roms are already the latest update (B01C).
I always thought a dealer did a full wipe and wrote a complete rom instead a partial write.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:36 PM   #23
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

He is probably correct, they wont have all the old roms to flash back. When a TSB is issued to reflash say all roms older than B01C to B01C ,they will get access to the B01C rom. This is the best one to flash anyway and what the dealer should do.

Their is rearly no point flashing an outdated A00C rom.

Even if they fix your oft it will still write over the B01C rom in your car if the dealer flashes that to get you out of a jam.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:05 PM   #24
kodyo

Sounded like the dealer couldn't even flash latest B01C tune.

I'm happy to say that open flash got in contact with me and I'll be sending the tablet back and they will be replacing it for a reasonable fee.
The Following User Says Thank You to kodyo For This Useful Post:
Lonewolf (12-29-2015)
Old 12-28-2015, 08:18 PM   #25
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Sounded like the dealer couldn't even flash latest B01C tune.

I'm happy to say that open flash got in contact with me and I'll be sending the tablet back and they will be replacing it for a reasonable fee.
Thats good news.

The dealer can definitly reflash you ecu to the latest compatable stock tune.

OFT does not lock ecu like ecutek or brz edit its totally open like stock .

You never actually "update" a rom or tune, fist the current rom\tune is erased then the new one is written. Their is no incrental update its alsways a compete erase and full new rom\tune.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 09:40 PM   #26
kodyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Thats good news.

The dealer can definitly reflash you ecu to the latest compatable stock tune.

OFT does not lock ecu like ecutek or brz edit its totally open like stock .

You never actually "update" a rom or tune, fist the current rom\tune is erased then the new one is written. Their is no incrental update its alsways a compete erase and full new rom\tune.
Yeah, I wouldn't be too surprised if it was user error. I've resigned myself to driving the current tune and just fixing it with OFT when I get to Cali.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:39 AM   #27
kodyo

Took the car to a dealership in El Paso and they confirmed that they could not reflash back to stock. I'm fairly confident now in saying that if this happens to you, the dealership will not be able reflash it back to stock for you.
Old 01-02-2016, 02:25 AM   #28
dtek

Drives: 86 A00I
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Seems I'm afflicted with this issue now. Plugged in to PC for the first time in months to offload a few logs that had been created. After a lonnnng time of downloading new updates to the OFT, the saving of logs worked fine. Initially, it behaved as per usual and could read the current tunes loaded on the device.

After a few minutes outputting the logs to csv files and then deleting the logs from the device, clicked again on 'download data' and then tried 'upload data' and both return the "Error opening file" problem. All slots including the OEM tune "NOT PRESENT".

Hard to say but it seems like there's something that was added/changed in that initial software update process that has bricked the OFT. I've output a debug.prolog file from Manager but no idea how to open or analyse it.

Really not keen on sending back and replacing the hardware for this: if it broke by software update it should be fixable by same. Should be a way to revert to prior known 'safe' software version..!
dtek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dtek For This Useful Post:
bottle (01-03-2016), kodyo (01-02-2016)