follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-03-2016, 12:00 AM   #1
ft86me

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Radium catch can routing info

So i've searched around on here and found some mixed answers from Radium themselves and members on here in regards to the catch can routing on the PCV side. Currently, on the pcv valve side (passenger side), I have a check valve in the PCV hose that vortech supplied with their kit when I was supercharged. From what I have been reading, I have read that the check valve should be left in there when installing the radium catch can since I have a turbo kit on my car. On the other hand, Radium has said that I do not need to have the check valve in the OEM hose that goes from the intake manifold to the PCV. Can anyone provide some input with the routing? Thanks!

Below is the actual hose with the check valve. Bottom circled is PCV. Middle circled is the check valve supplied by vortech when I had the vortech kit.
ft86me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:21 AM   #2
FRS Justin

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
I vent the left side to atmosphere and the right I use the factory pcv and no check valve. I have dual Radium Cans.
FRS Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:22 AM   #3
ft86me

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS Justin View Post
I vent the right side to atmosphere and the left I use the factory pcv and no check valve. I have dual Radium Cans.

Would it hurt to run the check valve since the hose would be extremely short if I eliminated it
ft86me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:51 AM   #4
FRS Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft86me View Post
Would it hurt to run the check valve since the hose would be extremely short if I eliminated it
No, under boost you will still have a vent to atmosphere on the drivers side.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:45 PM   #5
DHitHim

Drives: 2015 CWP Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
I vent the left side to atmosphere and the right I use the factory pcv and no check valve. I have dual Radium Cans.
So radium pcv side (passenger side) you don't need to run an after market check valve for boosted application? I bought a boomba valve LOL. Figuring out where exactly to mount it

Quote:
No, under boost you will still have a vent to atmosphere on the drivers side.

How is the driver side vented for you on your radium can? Is it because it's attached to the intake?
Old 09-16-2016, 01:54 AM   #6
FRS Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHitHim View Post
So radium pcv side (passenger side) you don't need to run an after market check valve for boosted application? I bought a boomba valve LOL. Figuring out where exactly to mount it

How is the driver side vented for you on your radium can? Is it because it's attached to the intake?
I have been working with Radium on this for awhile now since I use high comp and high boost. I am now using their AOS system and it's the bomb, no more draining tanks!!!
If you are running a catch can on passenger side N/A no check valve is needed just do the regular install. If your boosted get a real check valve!!!!! The pcv will not hold any boost at all. Put the valve so it blocks the intake under boost and lets vacuum pull fresh air into the can and pull any crankcase residuals out. My can has a air filter that Radium makes on it.
On the driver I just vent that to atmosphere and it works great. Again I use the air filter kit they sell and it's also nice.

Still testing the AOS but so far I can not find a fault, I love how they incorporated a heater to boil off moisture from the oil. I am heading back to the track after Subiefest in Fontana... I will do some more testing and throw everything at it I got but I doubt I can fill it. I plan to change the oil and drain the AOS oil into a separate container to take a oil sample after the heater but I'm sure it's going to pass with flying colors this thing is awesome!!!!!
Old 09-16-2016, 12:09 PM   #7
Amputechture

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
I have been working with Radium on this for awhile now since I use high comp and high boost. I am now using their AOS system and it's the bomb, no more draining tanks!!!
If you are running a catch can on passenger side N/A no check valve is needed just do the regular install. If your boosted get a real check valve!!!!! The pcv will not hold any boost at all. Put the valve so it blocks the intake under boost and lets vacuum pull fresh air into the can and pull any crankcase residuals out. My can has a air filter that Radium makes on it.
On the driver I just vent that to atmosphere and it works great. Again I use the air filter kit they sell and it's also nice.

Still testing the AOS but so far I can not find a fault, I love how they incorporated a heater to boil off moisture from the oil. I am heading back to the track after Subiefest in Fontana... I will do some more testing and throw everything at it I got but I doubt I can fill it. I plan to change the oil and drain the AOS oil into a separate container to take a oil sample after the heater but I'm sure it's going to pass with flying colors this thing is awesome!!!!!

Hi Justin, are you saying as long as there is a check valve or a pcv valve that can withstand boost that you can run a vented CC yet still pull a vac on the crankcase by way of the intake manifold? Currently I have an STI PCV valve threaded into the back of the block, with the hose going to nothing. I've capped off the intake manifold plenum where the hose goes to in OEM fashion. Front crankcase vent is going to an inlet on the intake pre-turbo. Should I;

a.) Keep the STI PCV valve in place, run a hose to a vented CC, and keep the intake manifold blocked off?
b.) Same as above, but with a straight through fitting that deletes the PCV valve...I see a lot of guys doing this. How does this not create a leak?
c.) Keep the STI Valve in place, running to a vented CC, which runs to the intake manifold.
d.) Same as above, but with a straight through fitting that deletes pcv.

And can I run both crank vents to one can that has two bungs?
Amputechture is offline   Reply With Quote