follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 08-05-2016, 02:57 PM   #1
Andrew360

Drives: Whiteout FRS, 07 Stg 2 Vw GTI
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Initial Impressions of the Trackspec T1 Hood Louvers

Hey guys, I just installed the Trackspec T1 Hood Louvers. Although I haven't driven it much since I just installed it, I'd like to give my initial impressions and move on to a more in depth review later on.

A little background about my car. It's a turbo track car which I've spent quite a bit of time trying to make everything run correctly. Latest issue has been cooling. I'm using a Mishimoto oil cooler, thermostat (just keep it stock), and Mishimoto slim fans (don't get these either), and Koyorad radiator. Opted for the slim fans because the oem fan shroud was melting due to the turbo being so close and hot.

At the last event at Shenandoah, my p3 gauge showed coolant temps hit 245 before going into limp mode until the temps came down. Ambient air temperature was between 85-88 degrees. The amount of hot air trapped under the hood after coming off track was immense. The hood release latch was burning hot to the touch.

Now onto the actual review, I received the box in good condition. There was plenty of bubble wrap and packing material. They supply you with a template and all rivets and washers you'll need with detailed instructions. The installation was straightforward.

The quality of the vents are top notch. They sit nicely flush against the hood without any gaps in between. My coolant temps at highway speeds dropped between 10-20 degrees and temps come down much faster after idling and start moving again. It's also pretty cool to see the hot air come out of the vents including more choo choo noises from the engine bay. More testing will be done soon and updated accordingly.

Highway temps
Before: 200-220
After:190

Andrew360 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew360 For This Useful Post:
CounterSpace Garage (08-05-2016), Jonsey (08-05-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 03:19 PM   #2
Jonsey

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Any thoughts on the structural impact of running these?
Old 08-05-2016, 03:29 PM   #3
Andrew360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsey View Post
Any thoughts on the structural impact of running these?
These do not reduce the structural integrity. There wasn't any additional flex in the hood after the vents were installed. Maybe @counterspacegarage can chime in.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:32 PM   #4
CounterSpace Garage

Drives: Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 Experts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
It sounds counterintuitive cutting structural ribbing out of the hood and adding these vents. It's quite the contrary. Those who have installed it have had no issues with the hood flexing. In effect, they have noted that the hood flexes less and also found that the hood does close tightly to the engine bay due to the high pressure differential at speed. Track guys with good pace will note that the OEM hood (even those non-functional vented hoods) actually wobbles (and slightly bulges open) on the track or in a high speed section. That issue is nonexistent with the Trackspec Louver Kit.
CounterSpace Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CounterSpace Garage For This Useful Post:
Clutch Dog (08-10-2019), funwheeldrive (08-07-2016), Tristor (08-12-2019), whataboutbob (06-21-2018), zdr93523 (08-08-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 04:41 PM   #5
Andrew360

Quote:
Originally Posted by CounterSpace Garage View Post
It sounds counterintuitive cutting structural ribbing out of the hood and adding these vents. It's quite the contrary. Those who have installed it have had no issues with the hood flexing. In effect, they have noted that the hood flexes less and also found that the hood does close tightly to the engine bay due to the high pressure differential at speed. Track guys with good pace will note that the OEM hood (even those non-functional vented hoods) actually wobbles (and slightly bulges open) on the track or in a high speed section. That issue is nonexistent with the Trackspec Louver Kit.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I'll be at NJMP Lightning tomorrow to test it out.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Old 08-05-2016, 05:49 PM   #6
Jonsey

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
That's what I assumed. The vents appear to have a strong structural ring that would strengthen the opening and tie the ribbing together.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:37 PM   #7
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,181 Times in 6,837 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsey View Post
That's what I assumed. The vents appear to have a strong structural ring that would strengthen the opening and tie the ribbing together.
I believe the vents, technically, add more material than is removed. AFAIK the vents are not a weight reduction either, but the additional cooling and pressure reduction is absolutely worth it.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:47 PM   #8
CrispyCheddar

Drives: the white one
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew360 View Post
Hey guys, I just installed the Trackspec T1 Hood Louvers. Although I haven't driven it much since I just installed it, I'd like to give my initial impressions and move on to a more in depth review later on.

A little background about my car. It's a turbo track car which I've spent quite a bit of time trying to make everything run correctly. Latest issue has been cooling. I'm using a Mishimoto oil cooler, thermostat (just keep it stock), and Mishimoto slim fans (don't get these either), and Koyorad radiator. Opted for the slim fans because the oem fan shroud was melting due to the turbo being so close and hot.
I have the mishi oil cooler, but haven't installed it yet.
I was considering adding the thermostat because I tend to cruise around town in the FRS every now and again. I was worried about the oil cooler making the oil TOO cold(if its even possible). Cold enough to be out of operating temperature.

Thoughts?
Old 08-06-2016, 07:18 AM   #9
Northwest86

Drives: Velocity Orange 86 GT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCheddar View Post
I was worried about the oil cooler making the oil TOO cold
Thoughts?
We have had guys here without them. In the summer (30C they live in colder climates) they would get the oil to 70C on the highway. Arguably high enough to drive in most conditions but perhaps not perfect. Of course heat up is slower too. In the winter it was to cold for comfort for sure. For me with 50C ambient temps for most of the year it doesn't make much difference at all.
Northwest86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 12:25 AM   #10
Apex_BRZ

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (WRB)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Add a thermostat for the oil line and you'll be fine. I've been running the Jackson Racing Oil Cooler for a while now (comes with the thermostat sandwich plate that installs below oil filter) and it gets far below 0F in Iowa during the winters. Car warms up fast enough and the thermostat regulates it to 185F'ish.
Apex_BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:51 PM   #11
zdr93523

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
I can corroborate this 100%.
www.makesmodels.com
www.camautomag.com
zdr93523 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zdr93523 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (08-09-2016)
Old 08-08-2016, 09:55 PM   #12
Andrew360

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCheddar View Post
I have the mishi oil cooler, but haven't installed it yet.
I was considering adding the thermostat because I tend to cruise around town in the FRS every now and again. I was worried about the oil cooler making the oil TOO cold(if its even possible). Cold enough to be out of operating temperature.

Thoughts?
I have the mishimoto thermostatic oil cooler. Not sure if the thermostat is defective or some oil just leaks thru but my oil temps only goes up to around 165-170F at highway speeds in cooler weather. 50-60F days. The thermostat is supposed to regulate it to 185F.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:18 AM   #13
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew360 View Post
I have the mishimoto thermostatic oil cooler. Not sure if the thermostat is defective or some oil just leaks thru but my oil temps only goes up to around 165-170F at highway speeds in cooler weather. 50-60F days. The thermostat is supposed to regulate it to 185F.
I cant really monitor mine (closed when tuned by ecutek if trying to log with torque), but I did read somewhere in this forum that even when "fully" closed, some oil will still flow thru it. I have been thru 1 canadian winter (below 0 way too often) and over 10 track days after that winter without trouble, I dont think the temps are low enough to affect the engine (unless your normal driving involves redlining on every light).
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Icecreamtruk For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (08-09-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 08:50 AM   #14
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,352 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
The thermostatic plate always allows a small amount of oil through to avoid creating an air lock in the cooler core. It is always possible that the oil wouldn't be heating up above 185F even without the cooler in some conditions, so seeing it below 185F shouldn't be a huge concern.