follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 09-30-2017, 12:52 AM   #337
Twinz

Drives: 2016 FR-S MT, 2015 Scion FR-S AT,
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
You don't already do that?
I just tried to stay under half a tank all season.
Twinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 01:22 AM   #338
C4RBON

Drives: '15 BRZ, '19 GTI
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Expanding on my previous post...

Quote:
For compliance purposes the specification tire will have a weight published in the tire section of the Official Specification. The tire and wheel assembly can be weighed “all inclusive” to determine compliance
The problem of using a spec tire weight for verifying wheel weight, is that it essentially changes the allowable wheel weight. See the example:

"Spec" tire weight measured at minimum usable tread depth: 21 lbs
New, unused, tire weight: 23 lbs
Spec wheel weight: 17 lbs

So if we weigh the wheel/tire combo to verify compliance, the minimum weight is 21 (tire) + 17 (wheel) = 38 lbs.

So with new tires (23 lbs), to hit that 38 lb target, you can use 15 lb wheels.

"So what" you may ask?
- It means you can have multiple sets of different wheels to use with tires of varying tread depth. This would be an advantage in the wet, where you presumably want nearly-new tires with deeper grooves.
- It means competitors are going to be monitoring tire/wheel weight between events, and possibly even between runs.
- It means competitors might need to drive over OPR to pick up weight after a run.
- It means a wheel/tire that was legal on run 1 might not be legal on run 3.
- It means TireRack can give us a spec tire weight when the tire still has usable life left, meaning the tires are junk if you have 17.0 lb wheels.

I don't want any of those things (and the associated protests) in SSC. I think the method proposed to verify wheel weight has unintended consequences, and should be changed. I realize the competitive advantage of my above scenarios would be small. However, in a spec class even small advantages are advantages. We have the opportunity to write clear, unambiguous rules that prevent these kinds of cost-adding maneuvers and petty protests to the competition.

I propose the following:

- Manufacturing tolerances and wear affect the weight of the spec tire. The spec tire shall always be allowed for competition regardless of weight, provided it meets safety requirements.
- Competitors may be required to remove one wheel/tire assembly after competition for weighing. TireRack will provide a minimum expected tire weight so that the weight of a wheel may be estimated using subtraction. The wheel weight estimate will be available to all competitors so they may lodge a protest.
- Upon protest of wheels on the basis of weight, tires will be dismounted and the wheels individually weighed (including valve stems and caps, wheel weights, center caps, and TPMS sensors). The weight of any wheel used in competition can not be less than 17.0 lbs.
Old 09-30-2017, 01:35 AM   #339
Twinz

"- Upon protest of wheels on the basis of weight, tires will be dismounted and the wheels individually weighed (including valve stems and caps, wheel weights, center caps, and TPMS sensors). The weight of any wheel used in competition can not be less than 17.0 lbs."

I wouldn't have an issue with that.^
Old 09-30-2017, 02:26 AM   #340
Locust
Custom User Title

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S, 2012 OB Evo X MR
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Locust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinz View Post
I just tried to stay under half a tank all season.
I run with the gas light on.

Instagram:
LocustAutoX
Sponsors:
DSGPerformance Drift Office Evil Apex Racing

Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 04:48 AM   #341
Shneegle

Drives: 2013 FRS, 2024 Trueno Edition
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by C4RBON View Post
Expanding on my previous post...

The problem of using a spec tire weight for verifying wheel weight, is that it essentially changes the allowable wheel weight. See the example:

"Spec" tire weight measured at minimum usable tread depth: 21 lbs
New, unused, tire weight: 23 lbs
Spec wheel weight: 17 lbs

So if we weigh the wheel/tire combo to verify compliance, the minimum weight is 21 (tire) + 17 (wheel) = 38 lbs.

So with new tires (23 lbs), to hit that 38 lb target, you can use 15 lb wheels.
Quote:
"- Upon protest of wheels on the basis of weight, tires will be dismounted and the wheels individually weighed (including valve stems and caps, wheel weights, center caps, and TPMS sensors). The weight of any wheel used in competition can not be less than 17.0 lbs."
With how popular this class is looking I doubt you would need to go that far for the protest. All one would need to do is look up the wheel weight to know if its a legal option. So the weighing as a whole doesn't really matter if you can find manufacturer specs for a wheel. It would be easy to spot someone running different wheels than everyone else and if anyone knows that they are under the set limit then it would be an easy protest.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:46 AM   #342
C4RBON

Drives: '15 BRZ, '19 GTI
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shneegle View Post
With how popular this class is looking I doubt you would need to go that far for the protest. All one would need to do is look up the wheel weight to know if its a legal option. So the weighing as a whole doesn't really matter if you can find manufacturer specs for a wheel. It would be easy to spot someone running different wheels than everyone else and if anyone knows that they are under the set limit then it would be an easy protest.
I think in 90% of cases you are correct. However, the for the following situations, weighing the wheel is the only way to determine compliance:
- A "known legal" wheel being modified to be lighter, such as machining the backside of the spokes, machining between the bolt holes, removing paint, or simply removing the center caps.
- A "known illegal" wheel being modified to ADD weight. Someone could machine solid steel center caps for RPF1s, and have a perfectly legal 17lb wheel with lower rotational inertia.
- An "unknown" wheel. Someone could have custom 3 piece wheels made, that may or may not be legal.

I think the method of checking wheel weight compliance is inadequate, and opens doors that aught to remain shut.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:58 AM   #343
cueball89

Drives: 23 BRZ 15 Impreza
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone weighed a tpms sensor? I bought a set of the Advanti DST Storm S1 wheels back in the spring for daily driving, It would be fantastic if I didn't have to buy another set of wheels.
cueball89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 11:43 AM   #344
Ribface

Drives: 2014 FR-S Hot Lava
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hmmm given the class philosophy I think I'd rather wheel choice be limited to an approved wheel list.

Will remove most weight issues/concerns/protests and make things easier to police.

Or at minimum rule should be that wheel weight has to be a minmum of 17lbs without balast.
Ribface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 12:55 PM   #345
ApexEight

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT SSM
Don't think this has been already posted: https://dk1xgl0d43mu1.cloudfront.net...pdf?1506722313
ApexEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 01:46 PM   #346
Twinz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexEight View Post
Don't think this has been already posted: https://dk1xgl0d43mu1.cloudfront.net...pdf?1506722313
This is the second time this has been posted. I am curious where this link comes from?

Most of this PDF clarifies things not specified in the original release on the SCCA's official website and basically just "fills in some blanks".

However, the offset specifications for the wheels actually contradicts both the SCCA's official website and Tire Rack's wheel options for the SSC spec coupe vehicle. People are already buying parts to prep, so this is kind of important to straighten out.....soon.
Old 09-30-2017, 03:48 PM   #347
bholliday

Drives: 2022 BRZ Premium
Quote:
This is the second time this has been posted. I am curious where this link comes from?

Most of this PDF clarifies things not specified in the original release on the SCCA's official website and basically just "fills in some blanks".

However, the offset specifications for the wheels actually contradicts both the SCCA's official website and Tire Rack's wheel options for the SSC spec coupe vehicle. People are already buying parts to prep, so this is kind of important to straighten out.....soon.
The class rules are now on the SCCA website. The offset has also been updated on the site.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
bholliday is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bholliday For This Useful Post:
Twinz (09-30-2017)
Old 09-30-2017, 04:35 PM   #348
bslate3

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
They should just go with Hoosiers! That would be a ton of fun!
bslate3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bslate3 For This Useful Post:
bholliday (09-30-2017), CCJ (10-01-2017), Shark_Bait88 (10-01-2017), strat61caster (09-30-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 09:21 AM   #349
Twinz

Any rumors on when the tire will be named? Now that they have changed the offset, Tire Track will probably be where I get my wheels from but I would prefer to order the wheels with tires already mounted.

Last edited by Twinz; 10-01-2017 at 09:36 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Twinz For This Useful Post:
JakeRogue (10-01-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 03:36 PM   #350
Jshreiner

Drives: Red frs and a few 90s celicas
No mention of using the stock crash bolts with the spc bolts so that's not an option now. why the restriction to oem endlinks?
Jshreiner is offline   Reply With Quote