follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 11-09-2017, 11:54 AM   #1
palanza87

Drives: 06 Ford Mustang
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Auto transmission jumping into manual mode on its own?

Hey everyone, not sure the best place to put this but has anyone had a problem where their auto transmission randomly starts shifting form auto to a manual gear? Like it'll go from D to 3 on the dash. It went from d to 4 and even started randomly shifting down to 2nd when I was definitely going too fast for 2nd.

Any suggestions where to begin troubleshooting?

2013 frs
palanza87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:23 PM   #2
FoxHound101

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by palanza87 View Post
Hey everyone, not sure the best place to put this but has anyone had a problem where their auto transmission randomly starts shifting form auto to a manual gear? Like it'll go from D to 3 on the dash. It went from d to 4 and even started randomly shifting down to 2nd when I was definitely going too fast for 2nd.

2013 frs
Hey there! Quick question, while driving in auto did you touch your paddle shifter? Because if you did even though you are driving in auto that will cause the car to up shift or down shift and it will switch to D to the gear its currently in. Thats normal.
FoxHound101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FoxHound101 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-09-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 01:36 PM   #3
palanza87

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxHound101 View Post
Hey there! Quick question, while driving in auto did you touch your paddle shifter? Because if you did even though you are driving in auto that will cause the car to up shift or down shift and it will switch to D to the gear its currently in. Thats normal.
Unfortunately no, i wish it was that simple. I'll keep an eye on it though to see if maybe bumps are triggering it.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:42 PM   #4
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Unfortunately no, i wish it was that simple. I'll keep an eye on it though to see if maybe bumps are triggering it.
Changed anything in the steering? Removed the consul or done any work on or around the shifter?
Old 11-09-2017, 01:43 PM   #5
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,142 Times in 591 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

2013 frs
if you're in sport mode it will down shift heavily on its own especially when you are hard braking but it certainly doesn't go into manual mode..

post up a vid
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HKz For This Useful Post:
VoltsFRS2013 (11-09-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 10:06 PM   #6
palanza87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Changed anything in the steering? Removed the consul or done any work on or around the shifter?
Well I bought the car used but the seller never mentioned anything like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
if you're in sport mode it will down shift heavily on its own especially when you are hard braking but it certainly doesn't go into manual mode..

post up a vid
Unfortunately the issue seems random for now, I can't reproduce it on purpose yet.

Just imagine u are going 55 mph in full auto mode. Prob 6th gear but it just says D on the dash.
Then out of nowhere the D turns to 4 and the revs shoot up. Then as I let off the gas the 4 turns to 3. Meanwhile nothing has been physically adjusted. I then pull the shifter to manual and back to auto and it resets back to normal.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:25 AM   #7
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Well I bought the car used but the seller never mentioned anything like that.

Unfortunately the issue seems random for now, I can't reproduce it on purpose yet.

Just imagine u are going 55 mph in full auto mode. Prob 6th gear but it just says D on the dash.
Then out of nowhere the D turns to 4 and the revs shoot up. Then as I let off the gas the 4 turns to 3. Meanwhile nothing has been physically adjusted. I then pull the shifter to manual and back to auto and it resets back to normal.
The previous owner may have had the console and shifter apart for some reason and you simply have a loose wire. Would make sense why going from manual back to auto works for a while. Any random bump could cause it to move and change again.