follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 04-12-2018, 10:07 PM   #99
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,333 Times in 1,349 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Nah not taking you hardly even notice it. And wasn't smack about quality but two different designs and products for two different purposes. My old R/t would pick the wheels up and go really fast in a straight line but took about two football field to make a turn. It could go through a couple of moths of gas for the FRS in an afternoon. Two radically different tools for two radically different jobs. This is one of the reason I always scoff at people that say they "need" 300+ HP in the Twins.
Not 300, just 294
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to new2subaru For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-12-2018)
Old 04-12-2018, 11:07 PM   #100
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Nah you hardly even notice it. And wasn't smack about quality but two different designs and products for two different purposes. My old R/t would pick the wheels up and go really fast in a straight line but took about two football fields to make a turn. It could go through a couple of months of gas for the FRS in an afternoon. Two radically different tools for two radically different jobs. This is one of the reason I always scoff at people that say they "need" 300+ HP in the Twins.
Interesting. If your history was true pony cars, why didn't you stick with them? I mean, there is only 1 or 2 still in production (hellcat, demon), but what made you want a nimble car? I doubt the lancer you had was your first in this sort of category.

Oh, and what's even funnier than people saying they need 300+ hp, people who just buy the car and immediately decide they "need" performance mods.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:10 PM   #101
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
Interesting. If your history was true pony cars, why didn't you stick with them? I mean, there is only 1 or 2 still in production (hellcat, demon), but what made you want a nimble car? I doubt the lancer you had was your first in this sort of category.

Oh, and what's even funnier than people saying they need 300+ hp, people who just buy the car and immediately decide they "need" performance mods.
I don't think pony car is the term for the demon or hell at.
Cole (04-13-2018)
Old 04-12-2018, 11:13 PM   #102
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
I don't think pony car is the term for the demon or hell at.
I guess muscle then. I just figured pony meant straight line car
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
fatoni (04-13-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 12:12 AM   #103
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
"Pony car" encompasses muscle cars and their entry level/rental grade counterparts.

Quote:
Tellingly, while most pony cars were available with more powerful engines and performance packages—enough to propel some into the muscle car realm—the vast majority were sold with six-cylinder engines or ordinary V8s. The initial pony cars "were sporty compact cars for the masses." They transformed into performance cars for enthusiasts whose production viability depended on significant sales of economical "secretaries' cars" and low-margin rental fleet models.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pony_car
Old 04-13-2018, 02:01 AM   #104
rvoll

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited, 2017 Sportage
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
Having only just stumbled across this thread, this was the post that irked me the most. Do you think that is in any way a reasonable comparison? Like, at all?

FWIW, I run 245s all-around for autocross. If I were to put 215s back on the front as you seem to suggest I should, I would get butt-raped in the butt with a lot of rape.
Like I said, if you are running slalom or autocross, wider tires make a whole lot of sense because of significantly greater incidence of lateral forces and the squarer contact patch. If I were using the car to run autocross, I'd do the same as you, but I might use a staggered setup with even wider wheels in back. But if the car is for the street, close to OEM will give the best performance. For this reason, when I tracked my cars, I had different sets of wheels/tires. I had one for the street, one for autocross, and one for the track -- and they were all different.
rvoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:21 AM   #105
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,068 Times in 675 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post

It is not the same size sidewall. And sidewall height is a percentage of tire width, so yes width effects sidewall size.

I am going to go have a beer now

You are correct that it's not the same sidewall height, but I'm also assuming you aren't questioning that a mere 5% change in sidewall height is basically undetectable, and thus pretty much irrelevant when it comes to pothole-absorbing capability. Any perceived improvement is for another reason.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:41 AM   #106
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

My drag racing days were in the late 70s and early 80s. Then real life came along and with a wife and kids that hobby had to go. The rest of the 80s and the early 90s I spent under employed and broke as hell so I pretty much drove $150 junkers while the wife drove the better ($1,00 junkers) as the family cars.

In 93 I was shopping for a light pickup truck and while on a small dealer's lot stumbled across a virtually new (1,200 miles) 91 Eagle Talon TSi AWD. I had never drove anything like that before so took it for a test drive. It changed my mind on the light (ish) Japanese cars forever and I bought it. In 2001 it was worn out to the point it wasn't worth fixing anymore so I sold it and drove my 58 Ford as a year round DD for a couple of years. In 2003 I started working out of town and the Ford was not a practical vehicle for that.

Mitsubishi had just come to Canada and I really liked the looks of the Lancer so I bought one of the first 100 yellow OZ racing rally editions to come into the country. Can be hard for the younger guys or US folks to understand but that was a very rare car here at that time and actually attracted crowds at meets.

I went through the 03 and 08 Lancers and loved them but then got the 12 and despised it. Saw the FRS while getting my oil changed next door and it was love at first sight. The rest is history.

So all in all I ended up in the Lancers and then FRS because they were/are incredibly practical for my needs.

On topic, when my FRS was sitting in the showroom they had a staggered set up with the ugliest colour wheels (sort of a hazy pearl beige white) I have ever seen on it. Don't remember the actual sizes but it had 18" by 9" on the back and 18" by 8" on the front. My driving at that point was over 50,000 miles a year and there was no way on earth I wanted a staggered set up with about the most expensive sized tires you can get so I told them to put the stock back on it. Those narrow stock sized tires have served me perfectly during my DD activities for all these years and I have never once considered even needing wider.
nikitopo (04-13-2018), why? (04-14-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 08:50 AM   #107
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
"Pony car" encompasses muscle cars and their entry level/rental grade counterparts.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pony_car
Sort of evolved into that definition but I always felt the more original distinction of a muscle car as a performance version of a full sized regular production car as being more accurate. Yes Pony cars sort of evolved into crossing over into the muscle car realm but once upon a time they were two very different vehicles.
switchlanez (04-16-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 09:50 AM   #108
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
My drag racing days were in the late 70s and early 80s. Then real life came along and with a wife and kids that hobby had to go. The rest of the 80s and the early 90s I spent under employed and broke as hell so I pretty much drove $150 junkers while the wife drove the better ($1,00 junkers) as the family cars.

In 93 I was shopping for a light pickup truck and while on a small dealer's lot stumbled across a virtually new (1,200 miles) 91 Eagle Talon TSi AWD. I had never drove anything like that before so took it for a test drive. It changed my mind on the light (ish) Japanese cars forever and I bought it. In 2001 it was worn out to the point it wasn't worth fixing anymore so I sold it and drove my 58 Ford as a year round DD for a couple of years. In 2003 I started working out of town and the Ford was not a practical vehicle for that.

Mitsubishi had just come to Canada and I really liked the looks of the Lancer so I bought one of the first 100 yellow OZ racing rally editions to come into the country. Can be hard for the younger guys or US folks to understand but that was a very rare car here at that time and actually attracted crowds at meets.

I went through the 03 and 08 Lancers and loved them but then got the 12 and despised it. Saw the FRS while getting my oil changed next door and it was love at first sight. The rest is history.

So all in all I ended up in the Lancers and then FRS because they were/are incredibly practical for my needs.

On topic, when my FRS was sitting in the showroom they had a staggered set up with the ugliest colour wheels (sort of a hazy pearl beige white) I have ever seen on it. Don't remember the actual sizes but it had 18" by 9" on the back and 18" by 8" on the front. My driving at that point was over 50,000 miles a year and there was no way on earth I wanted a staggered set up with about the most expensive sized tires you can get so I told them to put the stock back on it. Those narrow stock sized tires have served me perfectly during my DD activities for all these years and I have never once considered even needing wider.
Evo 9, best Evo.

Tbh, I wouldn't call them that narrow, we just compare the 86 to many other larger or more powerful cars with massive tread and not the Nissan Micra's, Toyota Echo's, BMW i3's, etc, with like bicycle wheels..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (04-13-2018), Tcoat (04-13-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 11:10 AM   #109
Tcoat

Quote:
Evo 9, best Evo.

Tbh, I wouldn't call them that narrow, we just compare the 86 to many other larger or more powerful cars with massive tread and not the Nissan Micra's, Toyota Echo's, BMW i3's, etc, with like bicycle wheels..
How many Evo's have you drove to make that statement? Especially since we couldn't even have them in Canada until the X came out. I personally have driven an 8 (in the US) and an X and greatly preferred the 8. Never drove a 9 so I have no opinion on how it drives but do think it was the ugliest of any version.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:31 AM   #110
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
How many Evo's have you drove to make that statement? Especially since we couldn't even have them in Canada until the X came out. I personally have driven an 8 (in the US) and an X and greatly preferred the 8. Never drove a 9 so I have no opinion on how it drives but do think it was the BESTLOOKINGiest of any version.
Fixed^

Purely cosmetic opinion. I've only been a passenger in a X unfortunately.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-13-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 11:36 AM   #111
Tcoat

Quote:
Fixed^

Purely cosmetic opinion. I've only been a passenger in a X unfortunately.
Oh dude the 9 looked like a Sunfire with a body kit!

why? (04-14-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 11:49 AM   #112
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Oh dude the 9 looked like a Sunfire with a body kit!

Idunno if we are thinking about the same car.