follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-06-2018, 05:17 PM   #15
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTeeJ View Post
OP typically clearing codes via a tool/scanner/etc. will reset the ecu and in turn tell it to learn fresh fuel trims among other things. A battery disconnect can do the same thing, however. I wouldn't get yourself too worked up over the learning procedure though. Let the car idle for a minute afterward and everything else should be fair game.

Good on you for finally looking into getting the car tuned, albeit a bit late lol. Oh also, if you're planning on running a base OFT rom be sure to take a few logs when you load it up to make sure you don't need any changes due to the Perrin piece. OFT canned roms are made with the stock intake in mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moooiiissst View Post
I'll go ahead and do that when I get enough cash to drop on an OFT since it wasn't in my plans right now, but I'll surely do that then

I'm going to be honest with you and say I have never heard of the reset process you are talking about... Before I got the OBDII tool, I would always just disconnect the battery for a few minutes and reconnect it and drive off normally (without flooring it, of course), but now I just clear the codes through the scan tool without disconnecting the batrery or none of that. I've never known that you should let the car idle or press the gas pedal or none of that. Is that bad? :0 Can you point me in the direction where I could find more info about this procedure?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

MCTeeJ and Kodename said it will.

Try disconnecting the battery turn the key as you would or press the start button and wait 30 seconds. Then reconnect the battery. Start the car and let it idle for a minute to a minute 30 seconds, and drive off normally. This allows the ECU to relearn the stock tune.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:28 PM   #16
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,086 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
FRSBRZGT86FAN: Tunes are not "learnt". Tune is flashed on ECU and until reflashing with other tune, stays same. Things that may change are some learnt pedal travel calibration info & fuel trims from amount of knock ecu saw when driving. There is method to quicken "dead pedal fix" to learn pedal travel sooner, and method for learning fuel trims quicker, after resets. None will change "tune" itself in any way.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:15 AM   #17
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Guy has perrin intake and no tune hence P0420, even if its the 2.5" perrin intake they still throw fuel trims off by about 15%.

the perrin 3" big maf is even worse 25% or more.

each time he resets ecu clearing code hes going to get the dead throttle pedal and it will clear his large learned fuel trims.

car will drive like crap till ecu learns the 15% plus fuel trims and the throttle pedal trims
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote