follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 09-16-2021, 09:24 PM   #1
darkofrs

Drives: 14 frs; drift spec
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Traction Control & ABS light on

My ABS and slip lights recently turned on, theyre off once i start the car but after a few turns or bumps, the ABS and slip lights come on and i have no ABS or traction control. Also, when these lights are on while im on the highway, after a few miles, my check engine comes on and i lose power steering and my speedometer.

I checked all forums and they all say to replace a speed sensor, unfortunately im not sure which speed sensor to replace. They are kinda expensive and id rather not have to buy for all 4 sides.

The codes that pop up are: C1234, C1237, P0500, & P1604

P0500 states that its Vehicle Speed Sensor "A" Circuit, anyone know if this tells you which speed sensor it is on a Scion FRS?
Attached Images

darkofrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 10:15 AM   #2
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkofrs View Post
My ABS and slip lights recently turned on, theyre off once i start the car but after a few turns or bumps, the ABS and slip lights come on and i have no ABS or traction control. Also, when these lights are on while im on the highway, after a few miles, my check engine comes on and i lose power steering and my speedometer.

I checked all forums and they all say to replace a speed sensor, unfortunately im not sure which speed sensor to replace. They are kinda expensive and id rather not have to buy for all 4 sides.

P0500 states that its Vehicle Speed Sensor "A" Circuit, anyone know if this tells you which speed sensor it is on a Scion FRS?
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136958
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 10:23 AM   #3
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
If you don't have access to a scanner that reads Subaru-specific diagnostics, you can probe the leads on each sensor with a multimeter and see which one doesn't match the other sensors' impedance.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (09-17-2021)
Old 09-17-2021, 03:30 PM   #4
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:

I noticed that you also have four tire pressure warning codes. Can you fill us in on those?

What are your actual tire pressures at each wheel using a good tire pressure gauge?
Count to muffens and call again.
I’m 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 06:51 PM   #5
darkofrs

UPDATE: okay so I took the car to a mechanic and he had to do a few things to keep the light off but here's a list of exactly what he did and what you can try if you have the same problem and can't diagnose it

1. I did not have a bracket for my ABS module, he fabbed one up for me and it kept the light off UNTIL a couple miles, so this helped a little bit but i think its highly UNLIKELY that you are missing an bracket for your ABS module

2. my tires did not have the same tire wall size, i was running 245/45/18 in the rear and 235/35/18 in the front, once this was fixed the light did not come back at all, I'm not sure if this was the direct cause of it but it did make it so that the light never came back on

3. (PROBABLY THE REAL YOU HAVE THE PROBLEM) After a couple months I decided to install a quick release steering wheel, in doing so I had barely moved the clock spring right behind the steering wheel. Upon doing so I guess it's somehow maybe connected to the steering position sensor or something. I took it back to the shop, and since I had not touched anything prior I told him it probably just needs a recalibration, he recalibrated it and it has not appeared since. ALSO he tells me he recalibrates the system after each attempt at fixing the issue, that would be 1 and 2 in the text above, if this is true I am not sure.

3.1. He told me he recalibrated the ABS system, which I'm not sure exactly what he did but he used a tablet which I think probably had techstream in it, if that's the case unfortunately this is not a DIY fix, the mechanic I had was very good and willing to try a bunch of solutions so shout outs to him.

There are maybe other solutions to this but my mechanic told me these newer cars have very sensitive electronics and the slightest change to even the tire size, moving the clockspring a little, can affect the a lot of stuff, hopefully this helps anybody who is having trouble diagnosing their issue... will edit later for clarification...
Old 04-01-2022, 07:24 PM   #6
dragoontwo

Drives: 22 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
2. my tires did not have the same tire wall size, i was running 245/45/18 in the rear and 235/35/18 in the front, once this was fixed the light did not come back at all, I'm not sure if this was the direct cause of it but it did make it so that the light never came back on
You had one tire at 24.5" and the other at 26.7" diameter. This is a big problem for the ABS and likely your issue. Your front and rear wheels were at greatly different speeds and the ABS didn't like it.
dragoontwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 02:27 AM   #7
darkofrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoontwo View Post
You had one tire at 24.5" and the other at 26.7" diameter. This is a big problem for the ABS and likely your issue. Your front and rear wheels were at greatly different speeds and the ABS didn't like it.
Yea the light does not come on anymore... it makes sense that that would cause the issue
Old 04-02-2022, 12:06 PM   #8
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,359 Times in 7,399 Posts
Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Yea the light does not come on anymore... it makes sense that that would cause the issue

It was likely just tire size causing it. Bad alignment or a flat tire will also sometimes cause it, that is how sensitive it can be.
jrhudson (04-02-2022)