follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 10-24-2022, 01:43 AM   #1
Apolllo

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Strut/Shock Options For Lowering Springs

Hey everyone, have a few questions about pairing struts/shocks with lowering springs.

For context, I will not be racing this car. Purely street driving, with occasional weekend driving on some twisty mountain roads, but nothing crazy.

I have already purchased the springs, Tein HTech. Gives me the lowering distance I was looking for, as well as good reviews from what I could find.

Moving on to struts/shocks, I guess my first question would be, do I even need them? My car has 9k miles, and is the performance package with Brembo brakes. So it has the Sachs suspension. Would these with 9k miles be fine running with these springs? Or would it be safer to get new struts/shocks so I wouldn't have to worry about swapping them out down the road, as well as give a better ride?

If it is recommended that I go with new struts/shocks, I have noticed Bilstein B6/B8 is kinda the go to, but a little pricey. I came across Tein Endurapro series which are much cheaper, but I can't really find many reviews for them...especially for a BRZ. Has anyone come across these or know more about them? Or are the Bilsteins just in a class of their own, and don't even consider the Teins?

Thank you!
Apolllo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 06:11 AM   #2
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,269 Times in 1,157 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I've got a set of B6s paired with my rce springs.
Shocks are generally one of those get what you pay for items.
Koni makes good quality shocks as well, I can't speak first hand on ride quality as I've never driven on a set before.

Given your Sachs are in good shape, I'd rock those until they're tired and decide then which direction to go.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 09:53 AM   #3
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,896 Times in 2,037 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
You are fine with the Sachs, but if you find them to be a bit harsh (a bit much high-speed compression damping IMO), Bilstein B6 or B8 are a lot smoother over rough/bumpy surfaces while still having great low-speed damping. I'm running B8s with Swift SpecR springs which lowered the car close to 1.5"
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 01:02 PM   #4
Apolllo

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
thx guys. I would thanks your posts but idk how to, my account might be too new haha

My original plan was lowering springs and Bilsteins. Found the HSpec springs for a good price so I jumped on those, thinking I will just save up for the Bilsteins. Now that the springs are here staring at me, I have been thinking about other options.

I think I might just give the Sachs a try with the springs, and just slowly save up for the Bilsteins. Even though the B6 and B8 are so close in price, I will prob just do the B6. Only doing a 1in drop so wont need the extra droop.
Apolllo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 01:31 PM   #5
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,896 Times in 2,037 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apolllo View Post
thx guys. I would thanks your posts but idk how to, my account might be too new haha

My original plan was lowering springs and Bilsteins. Found the HSpec springs for a good price so I jumped on those, thinking I will just save up for the Bilsteins. Now that the springs are here staring at me, I have been thinking about other options.

I think I might just give the Sachs a try with the springs, and just slowly save up for the Bilsteins. Even though the B6 and B8 are so close in price, I will prob just do the B6. Only doing a 1in drop so wont need the extra droop.
I should add that with my lowering which was a bit more than anticipated (close to -1.5"), front Sachs strut bump travel was an issue, statically I was hard on the front bump stops. Ride over the tiniest bumps was horrendous! There is a lot more bump travel in the Bilstein B8s. B6s supposedly have the same amount of bump travel as the B8s so should be fine as well.

At -1" you might be OK with the Sachs, but I bet you'll find that the fronts bottom out over smallish bumps.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote