follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 02-12-2023, 05:49 PM   #43
falcon_wizard

Drives: BRZ 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
EXACTLY!
The big problem is they see the manufacture's commercials that say "MSRP is $XXXXX" and think that is a fixed price. The manufacturers are not covered by the All In pricing laws so they can say whatever they want. The Dealerships (they are NOT owned or run by the manufacturer) are required to advertise the whole cost. If they want to sell with a $5,000 market adjustment fee they have to make that very clear in all advertising.
So as you stated it is illegal for them to say a price in any form of advertising just to get you through the door and THEN tell you "oh and there is an extra $XXXX amount of markup".
It seems to vary by province, but in QC it indeed appears to be as you stated above. What threw me off is that while I was shopping for a new car last year, I never noticed a case where a new car was marked up vice msrp, even if new cars were a rarity and dealers had pretty much only used cars to sell. We ended up buying literally the very last 22 outback wilderness available in the province and we got it at msrp. It was the same when I bought my BRZ in 2013. Maybe some makes are more notorious for doing it than others, or could it be that some manufacturers have agreements with their dealers even if not required by law ?
falcon_wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to falcon_wizard For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-12-2023)
Old 02-12-2023, 06:06 PM   #44
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon_wizard View Post
It seems to vary by province, but in QC it indeed appears to be as you stated above. What threw me off is that while I was shopping for a new car last year, I never noticed a case where a new car was marked up vice msrp, even if new cars were a rarity and dealers had pretty much only used cars to sell. We ended up buying literally the very last 22 outback wilderness available in the province and we got it at msrp. It was the same when I bought my BRZ in 2013. Maybe some makes are more notorious for doing it than others, or could it be that some manufacturers have agreements with their dealers even if not required by law ?
Most of the Provinces have almost identical "full price disclosure" laws when it comes to advertising but none regulate that it must be MSRP. It is funny that so many think that the prices should be controlled but if the government came in and and put a ceiling on their income they would scream bloody blue murder. The very last thing that any business wants or needs is the government setting their prices!
You just got lucky with the dealerships you saw. Around here there hasn't been much gouging but get into some of the large dealerships like in Toronto and it is rampant.
You said "their" dealers when you mentioned the manufacturers. Dealerships are not run nor directly controlled by the manufactures. They are independent companies that buy their product from the manufacturers. The car companies do not set the prices the dealers MUST charge. That is why MSRP stands for Manufacture's SUGGESTED Retail Price and not Mandatory retail price. The word Suggested is there for a reason. This applies to almost all the companies.
But... Ford recently told the dealers that is they continue to charge "excessive" mark ups on vehicles such as the Mustang EV they would cut their allotments to the minimum required by their contract. They did not say they had to charge MSRP nor that they wouldn't give them any allotment just that they would get reduced numbers. This resulted in the gouging dealers only marking up $20K or so instead of doubling prices.
falcon_wizard (02-12-2023), Petah78 (02-16-2023), soundman98 (02-12-2023)