follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 07-13-2023, 11:50 AM   #1
Kulebrero

Drives: GR86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Race seats installation

EDIT: I plugged in stock passenger seat to the airbag connector on the passenger side and nothing changed on the dash board or the OBDII scan. Still getting the same errors. I’m guessing there’s a short somewhere. Any ideas where to start? I’m guessing I may have to reinstall the stock seats and take it to the dealership to troubleshoot as the car is still under warranty.

I removed all stock seats and installed a driver and passenger race seats.

I’m getting an Airbag error on the dashboard. Besides the annoying warning, I won’t pass the State safety inspection if I don’t sort it out.

The rear seems to be ok. I removed the wiring harness and sensor from the seat belt as well as the occupancy sensors from the rear seats, and plugged them all in the back. It does not appear as though I’m getting any codes in the rear.

I’m getting five codes in the front. Here’s my setup:

Driver side: used a Brad’s Hack dongle for the yellow airbag plug, and connected the seat belt connector into the beige plug. I kept the stock seat belt which chimes when not buckled, so I’m guessing it’s working ok.

Passenger side: used Brad’s Hack dongle for the yellow airbag plug. Removed the occupancy sensor and seatbelt wiring harness (with the sensors) from the stock seat and plugged them into the gray plug. I zip tied the sensors together to the seat rail.

What am I missing/doing wrong?
Attached Images

Last edited by Kulebrero; 10-06-2023 at 09:57 AM.
Kulebrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 09:08 AM   #2
Kulebrero

Drives: GR86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I need to sort out the airbag warning light to pass inspection.

Here’s a pic of the occupancy sensors.

Yellow plug in the pic goes to the seat belt receiver. Gray plug goes to the gray plug in the car per the pictures in the original post above. And the yellow airbag plug in the car has the Brad airbag delete plug (have tried a 3.3ohm resistor, too.
Attached Images

Kulebrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 04:02 PM   #3
downshiftxlr8

Drives: 2020 86 Hakone
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
For me I just replaced the airbag clips with resistors. On the passenger side since I had a heating element, that all seemed to be tied into the occupancy sensor so I had to rip all that out from the old set and connect it back, wrapped it all up in a bundle and its just under the passenger seat. Unplugged the battery during all this btw.
downshiftxlr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 08:10 PM   #4
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,968 Posts
Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
You should check Kevin Vo's youtube with links to the relatively new Gerald Just Projects 2nd gen seat airbag stuff.

https://www.geraldjustprojects.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by downshiftxlr8 View Post
For me I just replaced the airbag clips with resistors. On the passenger side since I had a heating element, that all seemed to be tied into the occupancy sensor so I had to rip all that out from the old set and connect it back, wrapped it all up in a bundle and its just under the passenger seat. Unplugged the battery during all this btw.
Very different for 2nd gen cars.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
downshiftxlr8 (10-11-2023), Kelse92 (10-13-2023), RedReplicant (10-13-2023)