follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 08-13-2012, 08:56 PM   #1
Aloxi

Drives: BRZ WRB Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
anyone got their car from Stamford Subaru @ CT?

I went through the forums and seems like they got blacklisted due to one incident with a member but dealerratings.com seems to have great reviews for this dealer, so I was wondering if anyone bought theirs from them? I'm located in NYC, so others from NYC who had a good experience with their dealer, feel free to share. Thanks.
Aloxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
ngabdala
Vortech Supercharged

Drives: WRB BRZ 6MT LTD
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I believe they were blacklisted because a user here drove about an hour and a half to see them and then we he got there they said they only want to sell the BRZ to customers that are near them because they will bring their car in to be serviced by them since they are local. Also, the people that buy the BRZ near them are more likely to refer their friends to them.

IMO, Buy a BRZ anywhere as long as it's MSRP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloxi View Post
I went through the forums and seems like they got blacklisted due to one incident with a member but dealerratings.com seems to have great reviews for this dealer, so I was wondering if anyone bought theirs from them? I'm located in NYC, so others from NYC who had a good experience with their dealer, feel free to share. Thanks.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:49 PM   #3
Jayde

Drives: 2013 Satin White Pearl BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloxi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngabdala View Post
I believe they were blacklisted because a user here drove about an hour and a half to see them and then we he got there they said they only want to sell the BRZ to customers that are near them because they will bring their car in to be serviced by them since they are local. Also, the people that buy the BRZ near them are more likely to refer their friends to them.

IMO, Buy a BRZ anywhere as long as it's MSRP

That would be me.

If they're willing to tell you how much it is over the phone/email and its the same when you get there, then by all means go ahead and buy from them. I was very disappointed how I drove an hour and half only to get to lied to. I was told I would pay MSRP over the phone and on that basis, I made the drive. But, as you have read, that wasn't the case. Perhaps they changed their structure on selling the BRZ to their customers. Perhaps they'll sell to customers who don't live in the area knowing that they would probably never see it again after the owner takes deliver. I don't know. I haven't contacted them that day and I have no needs to in the future. I have my BRZ, and I payed MSRP.

Again, if they'll sell it to you at MSRP (or less), or at least come out from the beginning and tell you how much they're marking it up, and you're happy with that price, then go ahead and buy from them.

Good luck finding a car!
Old 08-13-2012, 10:12 PM   #4
was385

Drives: MT WRB BRZ Limited, 2007 911s
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Don't know about them, but if you decide not to, I would also definitely avoid Georgetown Subaru in Norwalk (yanked me around for about a month, lied to my face, and then told me it was 1k above MSRP the day before it came in, and that I was lucky to be paying that little). Dan Perkins Subaru in Milford (if you're willing to go that far) was great to me though.
was385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:48 PM   #5
Eyesacky

Drives: DGM BRZ Limited "Freyja" +2 Miatas
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I am currently dealing with Ray Baldwin at Stamford Subaru. I inquired about a car that was spoken for, but he offered multiple options, all at MSRP:
Option 1: Do a dealer locate -- he found there were 6 Limited Manual DGMs in the country, 5 of them with dealers that he deals with. He said he was willing to trade inventory for one and could have it within days.

Option 2: He mentioned in their allocation that there was one coming in, but it was in Japan and might take 6-8 weeks at least to get here.

I signed paperwork, scanned/emailed it to him and two days later, he emailed me saying that the DGM BRZ Limited he mentioned was already on the water and was set to be in port on Aug. 28th, so he suggested we go with that one, and that's what I did. I gave him my license and credit card info so that as soon as he found a car (either option), he could put a deposit on it. This was his idea, so that he could reserve one for me ASAP.

Pain-free process, and I have the paperwork showing that the car's priced at MSRP. Way better and easier than the dealer I put a sold order in with and haven't heard any updates from since June 6th.

Cheers,
Isaac
Eyesacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:43 PM   #6
Jayde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyesacky View Post
I am currently dealing with Ray Baldwin at Stamford Subaru. I inquired about a car that was spoken for, but he offered multiple options, all at MSRP:
Option 1: Do a dealer locate -- he found there were 6 Limited Manual DGMs in the country, 5 of them with dealers that he deals with. He said he was willing to trade inventory for one and could have it within days.

Option 2: He mentioned in their allocation that there was one coming in, but it was in Japan and might take 6-8 weeks at least to get here.

I signed paperwork, scanned/emailed it to him and two days later, he emailed me saying that the DGM BRZ Limited he mentioned was already on the water and was set to be in port on Aug. 28th, so he suggested we go with that one, and that's what I did. I gave him my license and credit card info so that as soon as he found a car (either option), he could put a deposit on it. This was his idea, so that he could reserve one for me ASAP.

Pain-free process, and I have the paperwork showing that the car's priced at MSRP. Way better and easier than the dealer I put a sold order in with and haven't heard any updates from since June 6th.

Cheers,
Isaac
Glad to see you were able to get the BRZ you wanted at MSRP. Seems they did change their structure around after the dealings I had with them (although I doubt I was the only one).
Old 08-15-2012, 11:25 PM   #7
Eyesacky

True, well, I'm still a little weary as this will be my third attempt at getting one, so hopefully my dad will be wrong in joking that the ship will capsize on the way over lol.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:42 PM   #8
Jayde

Quote:
True, well, I'm still a little weary as this will be my third attempt at getting one, so hopefully my dad will be wrong in joking that the ship will capsize on the way over lol.
http://www.autoblog.com/2006/07/27/c...mazdas-aboard/

Old 08-20-2012, 02:39 PM   #9
Eyesacky

Nooo! Don't say that haha! Mazda must have lost so much money from that -- I believe they are required to destroy those vehicles :O
Old 08-20-2012, 02:49 PM   #10
Jidonsu

Drives: Scion FR-S | 6MT | Ultramarine
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
There's a few of them sitting on the lot at the Subaru dealership in Norwalk, CT.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:06 PM   #11
Eyesacky

Well, my dealer in NJ finally emailed me back to say that my car is awaiting shipment to the dealer, but Stamford has my car on a boat on its way over. I think my deposit is non-refundable at Stamford, and they've been very helpful in this process, so I will gladly keep my business with Stamford. Plus, if the car's not here yet, it gives me a few weeks to save up for the full Nameless setup hehehe.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #12
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Nooo! Don't say that haha! Mazda must have lost so much money from that -- I believe they are required to destroy those vehicles :O
Yep - most of the cars survived the accident, actually - the majority stayed strapped in while the boat listed. The problem wasn't water damage, as a result, but the unknown consequences of having these vehicles in precarious angles for a prolonged period of time. They tried to simulate in their own labs what the results would be of keeping a car suspended at the angles they were in but the biggest challenge was in how the vehicles were lined up - there were too many permutations so they couldn't be sure.

In the end, except for about a dozen drivetrain components sent to trade schools, not a single part escaped destruction. Good thing for Mazda - when they were destroying the vehicles, they found evidence of corrosion in various locations in the engine compartment from battery acid that leaked out. If even one of these vehicles had made it to the public roads, there'd have been all kinds of liability nightmares to deal with.
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:03 PM   #13
was385

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jidonsu View Post
There's a few of them sitting on the lot at the Subaru dealership in Norwalk, CT.
That's because they're charging about $1,000 over MSRP. The black one that I had a deposit on came in and after I refused the charges, sat there for well over a month I believe. Milford and Stamford were both only charging MSRP, not sure if Georgetown in Norwalk is waiting for them to run out of stock or just waiting for someone to accept it when they tell the customer that no other dealers around there are selling it at MSRP.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:05 PM   #14
was385

Quote:
Ehhh, that's what insurance is for.