follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > FR-S & 86 Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum

FR-S & 86 Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum All photos, videos and other media related to the Scion FR-S and Toyota 86

User Tag List

Old 11-14-2012, 12:12 PM   #43
RaceR

Drives: 2010 Cooper S, 74 Beetle
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCard View Post
That's pretty ignorant.. It all depends on how you drive. If you take your time and don't try to be hot shit you will be fine. I went though a nasty snow storm last week with NO issues.
Call me ignorant. Im fine.. But I would call people in the videos below ignorant. Same for you if you are on summer tires in a snow storm... Maybe you will drive your whole life without any problems with summer tires in the winter, going through snow storms.. But once you hit that patch of ice, or conditions become bad enough. Summer tires will be like Bambi on ice once conditions gets rough enough. Does not matter if you take your time, car can go sideways on almost a flat surface.

Not that much snow here, summer tires should work fine right?
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or5el1PbCes&feature=fvst"]Violent Car Accident Over Icy Road - YouTube[/ame]

Americans and their summer (and crappy all season) tires:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3jlKoTuAio&feature=related"]Icy road car crashes - YouTube[/ame]

Im glad my country have laws against summer tires on snow conditions:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRVwFH8Q8Ik"]Bad Winter Accident - YouTube[/ame]
RaceR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #44
DarkCard

Drives: Asphalt Scion Frs 6MT
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Dude in "your country" this would happen to. Just because of a freak situation or event (i.e. black ice) whether you have all seasons or summer tires your gonna spin. Not one of those cars were even on summer tires so your argument is purely invalid.
DarkCard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:59 PM   #45
RaceR

Drives: 2010 Cooper S, 74 Beetle
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCard View Post
Not one of those cars were even on summer tires so your argument is purely invalid.
And im the ignorant one..
RaceR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:43 PM   #46
jstn

Drives: '15 Vortech Supercharged
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by #87 View Post
This is why you dont run summer tires in snow. I've been silently laughing to myself at these people posting about how they made it through snow on stock summer tire. I bet you this person was like "If you are careful you can do it no problem I've been doing it for years". That pic looks like an inch of light snow.

Why risk it?
I'm just going for it myself, but I feel justified in it. My car won't ever see the freeway unless I know for a fact that it's clear and dry. I live in a reasonably large city, I haven't had any reason to leave town in months. The only driving I can't avoid is my work commute, which is just a few miles through traffic lights and 20mph school zones. And I can work remotely if it's really bad. I have a super gnarly driveway, so if there's more than an inch or two on the ground I likely won't be able to get it on the street to begin with. It may just end up stranded in my parking lot for half the winter.

Bonus: I get to take all that cash I was gonna spend on snow tires and blow it on performance mods to be ready for autox in the spring.
jstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:05 PM   #47
Jidonsu

Drives: Scion FR-S | 6MT | Ultramarine
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstn View Post
I'm just going for it myself, but I feel justified in it. My car won't ever see the freeway unless I know for a fact that it's clear and dry. I live in a reasonably large city, I haven't had any reason to leave town in months. The only driving I can't avoid is my work commute, which is just a few miles through traffic lights and 20mph school zones. And I can work remotely if it's really bad. I have a super gnarly driveway, so if there's more than an inch or two on the ground I likely won't be able to get it on the street to begin with. It may just end up stranded in my parking lot for half the winter.

Bonus: I get to take all that cash I was gonna spend on snow tires and blow it on performance mods to be ready for autox in the spring.
City driving is probably the worst when it's snowing or icy because of all the stopping you have to do. If someone is sliding towards you, you won't have enough traction to get going either. You can easily get some winter tires for $400 or find them used for even less.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:10 PM   #48
PrinzJ

Drives: White Fr-S and Black 9thgen Corolla
Garage
any problems with the windows,
when opening and closing the doors?
PrinzJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #49
empower-auto
Kouki-Monster

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
wheeee
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to empower-auto For This Useful Post:
RaceR (11-14-2012), Tanuki (11-14-2012)
Old 11-14-2012, 05:20 PM   #50
neutron256

Drives: '13 GBS Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinzJ View Post
any problems with the windows,
when opening and closing the doors?
I had a weird problem after our first snow. The windows went down as usual when I opend the door, but didn't go back up when I closed them. Manually putting them all the way down and back up seems to have fixed the problem. Time will tell.

There was no ice around the window
PrinzJ (11-22-2012)
Old 11-14-2012, 05:34 PM   #51
Tanuki
Turtle Factory

Drives: Mint M3
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by empower-auto View Post
wheeee
Great shot. thanks for getting the thread back on topic!
Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:44 PM   #52
empower-auto
Kouki-Monster

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
before entering the storm:
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to empower-auto For This Useful Post:
Tanuki (11-14-2012)
Old 11-21-2012, 10:18 PM   #53
Chad

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceR View Post
Call me ignorant. Im fine.. But I would call people in the videos below ignorant. Same for you if you are on summer tires in a snow storm... Maybe you will drive your whole life without any problems with summer tires in the winter, going through snow storms.. But once you hit that patch of ice, or conditions become bad enough. Summer tires will be like Bambi on ice once conditions gets rough enough. Does not matter if you take your time, car can go sideways on almost a flat surface.

Not that much snow here, summer tires should work fine right?

Im glad my country have laws against summer tires on snow conditions:

The first and third video here just look like driver error. The first video is driver error, he wasn't paying attention drifted close to the oncoming lane and then swerved back into his lane because he panicked and it caused a huge collision because he didn't stay calm. Basically winter tires don't fix crappy drivers. Yes I agree they are good for winter but just using these examples isn't solid evidence to promote winter tires lol. I've been driving with continentals warn out for 5 harsh winters now and only had 1 minor fender bender the first winter because I was a novice driver in that specific situation. If I had my current level of driving experience I could've avoided that accident with or without winter tires.

I'm not discouraging winter tires however. In fact I would definitely encourage them because a lot of people are really nervous driving in poor conditions. A nervous driver is worse than anything in my opinion. I was planning on swapping out these crappy all season continentals this winter on my G5 for a good set of winters but since i'm ordering my FR-S in Jan I figured it would just be a waste. On the FR-S I will be putting a nice set of winters though

Anyways that's probably more than my 2 cents on this subject, very contradictory and confusing, if anyone actually read this and understands where i'm coming from I will be impressed lol. :happy0180:
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:02 PM   #54
RWD_FR-S

Drives: Scion Fr-s

First snow, my car just sat there looking at me I don't think she liked it.

Steep driveways...not my friend.
RWD_FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:42 PM   #55
zulhijj

Drives: 2013 FR-S
I had an 06 Acura RSX before picking up my FR-S about a month ago. In the 6 years of owning the RSX I never felt the need for snow tires because I never got stock or had a hard time getting around town (even when we had the massive amount of snow in NE two years ago). I had the Michelin Primacy MXV4 all seasons and just never felt the need for purchasing a second set of tires.

Last night my FR-S got stuck backing into my driveway which is not much of an incline. Needless to say I'm going to buy a set of snow tires for the FR-S and was thinking about the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3. Anyone have experience with these? This is my first RWD car so maybe I'm just not good at it yet in the snow...
zulhijj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #56
convoy

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited(White)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Do not like.
Attached Images

Completed Mods: Painted Tail Lights(Redout) - Muffler Delete - 2 10" JL Audio Subwoofers & 1800W Amp - Clear Side Markers - Zeta Performance Hood Dampers - Full LED Bulb Conversion - 3000K HID Fog Lights - BC Racing Coilovers - VarrStoen ES1's 18x9.5
Follow me on Instagram for pics - @Convoy
convoy is offline   Reply With Quote