follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 11-20-2012, 04:28 PM   #15
SVTSHC
(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ

Drives: 2015 Series Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottopilot View Post
C'mon, a race prepped ford with roll cage and naked interior vs a showroom car is far from being an argument that it's not just a "sporty car". The twins are far from sports car straight from the factory.
Seeing as the Fiesta ST isn't out yet I can't make a legitimate comparison, the only thing performance oriented going on with the car in the automotive world is Rallycross I mentioned it to indicate the platform has potential. In other words, a platform with potential + a factory performance varient of said car = A car that is already starting off on a good foot. That's all I said, nothing more nothing less. Why are people picking fights?
A modded Fiesta is a force to be reckoned with, just like a modified FRS as we've seen has loads of potential. The ST is the factory performance version of the Fiesta, and honestly I believe that it'll hold it's own against a Factory FRS. Now if people would stop reading inbetween the lines or assuming I'm meaning more than I'm saying it'd be greatly appreciated. Both are(will be) great cars, pick your layout.

"Sweet Subaru, sweet Subaru, send your BRZ unto me, for the roads of the unworthy must be baptized in speed and glory." ~Zaku
SVTSHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:56 PM   #16
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
We might as well just merge this thread with the Focus ST thread, it's gonna be the same tired arguments all over again.

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:39 PM   #17
MtnDrvr86

Drives: 2002 honda civic ex
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Confirmed: Ford to Launch Fiesta ST in North America, Brings Big Speed and Style to the Small Car Market

Fiesta ST – a well-known hot hatch born in Europe and now ready for North America – packs a punch with a 1.6-liter EcoBoost®engine producing nearly 200 horsepower
New Fiesta ST is Ford’s latest vehicle to wear the Sport Technologies badge, a global performance brand that debuted in North America earlier this year with the launch of the Focus ST
Exclusively equipped with a six-speed manual transmission, Fiesta ST is expected to be a segment leader in both performance and fuel efficiency

Click to download images.

For more information, visit the 2014 Ford Fiesta Press Kit.

LOS ANGELES, Nov. 26, 2012 – Small cars continue to be a hot segment in North America and with the new Fiesta ST, introduced here at the 2012 Los Angeles Auto Show, Ford is expected to have the hottest hatch around.

Fiesta ST, a performance model first launched in Europe back in 2005, is yet another proof point from Ford that small cars are anything but boring. In addition to a precision sport-tuned suspension and an improved braking system, Fiesta ST packs a punch under the hood.

A new high-output variant of the award-winning 1.6-liter EcoBoost® four-cylinder engine propels Fiesta ST with an estimated 197 horsepower and 214 lb.-ft. of torque. In comparison, Mini Cooper S makes do with 181 horsepower and 177 lb.-ft., while Chevrolet Sonic RS produces just 138 horsepower and 148 lb.-ft.

Unlike the competition, Fiesta ST doesn’t simply look like a performance car; it’s got the guts to back it up.

“This is a rewarding car to rev,” says Mark Roberts, Fiesta calibration supervisor. “With 177 lb.-ft. of torque available from just 1,600 rpm and 214 lb.-ft. by 3,500 rpm, Fiesta ST gives the performance and feel of an engine twice its size. There’s no waiting at all for the power to just push you back in your seat.”

Fiesta ST may be born with racing DNA, but buyers won’t have to pay for that performance at the pump. Available exclusively as a five-door hatchback in North America and with a six-speed manual transmission, Fiesta ST is projected to achieve up to 34 mpg.

This compact performance machine sports a unique grille and chin spoiler with new rear diffuser and fascia extensions. Bright tipped dual-exhaust pipes and high-mount spoiler along with unique 17-inch wheels complete the visual package: Fiesta ST looks like it’s made for the racetrack. The car is first of its nameplate to receive the Molten Orange tri-coat metallic paint.

Fiesta ST steering is more direct and responsive than the base model. A unique suspension with modified front knuckle makes for a quicker overall steering ratio of 13.6:1.

The rear axle gets increased roll stiffness to improve stability through fast corners, while the Fiesta ST body sits 15 millimeters closer to the ground than the base model.

Increased mechanical grip provided by the suspension improvements is further enhanced with electronic Torque Vectoring Control to reduce understeer during hard cornering maneuvers. Three-mode electronic stability control – standard, sport or off – enables the ST driver to select the amount of electronic aid based on current conditions. Overall, Fiesta ST provides enthusiastic drivers with the ideal mix of performance handling and ride comfort.

Fiesta ST will also sound good on the open road. It features the mechanical version of the sound symposer first used on the Focus ST, which went on sale in North America earlier this year, to provide an enhanced soundtrack for drivers out tackling the open road. It is unique for Fiesta in that for the first time the engine sound is directly fed into the passenger cabin to accentuate feedback quality and response.

Fiesta ST is the result of the combined efforts of Team RS in Europe and SVT in the United States.

http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=37425
MtnDrvr86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:40 PM   #18
Turdinator
Señor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnDrvr86 View Post
Fiesta ST will also sound good on the open road. It features the mechanical version of the sound symposer first used on the Focus ST, which went on sale in North America earlier this year, to provide an enhanced soundtrack for drivers out tackling the open road. It is unique for Fiesta in that for the first time the engine sound is directly fed into the passenger cabin to accentuate feedback quality and response.
Hahaha! It even gets its own sound tube.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:31 PM   #19
SubieNate

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTSHC View Post
Seeing as the Fiesta ST isn't out yet I can't make a legitimate comparison, the only thing performance oriented going on with the car in the automotive world is Rallycross I mentioned it to indicate the platform has potential. In other words, a platform with potential + a factory performance varient of said car = A car that is already starting off on a good foot. That's all I said, nothing more nothing less. Why are people picking fights?
A modded Fiesta is a force to be reckoned with, just like a modified FRS as we've seen has loads of potential. The ST is the factory performance version of the Fiesta, and honestly I believe that it'll hold it's own against a Factory FRS. Now if people would stop reading inbetween the lines or assuming I'm meaning more than I'm saying it'd be greatly appreciated. Both are(will be) great cars, pick your layout.
You do know that the rallycross Fiesta has ~0 parts in common with the road car right? It has a completely different [awd] drivetrain among other things.

There's so little left of the original car in most Rally cars that using them as a basis for comparison of two stock or even modified street cars is kind of silly. Compounding that is the fact that performance on gravel/dirt/whatever a rally circuit throws at a car isn't really directly related to a car's performance on the street.

Not saying the Fiesta ST won't be able to run with the twins. But using the rally car to say that they will is a stretch.

Nathan
SubieNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:02 PM   #20
whtchocla7e

Drives: 2013 FR-S Hot Lava
FWD!!!!!!!
Old 11-28-2012, 12:59 PM   #21
overlookedx

Drives: 2015 WRB Limited
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
More information here from the LA auto show, with some more pics:

http://jalopnik.com/la-auto-show/

Looks ok, needs a drop and a wider body. Still not as sexy as the twins but I think it'll be a helluva lot of fun, have more torque, and get the same gas mileage. Just wish we were getting the 3 door version.
overlookedx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:29 PM   #22
LIKEABOSS

Drives: 2013 Boss 302 & 2013 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
When they say "torque-vectoring" front differential, I wonder if they mean brake-based like the Focus ST or GTI. And why can't they ever seem to stick a real limited-slip differential into these cars?
From all the feedback from the ST reviews and personal experience "torque-vectoring" works really well.
LIKEABOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:29 PM   #23
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIKEABOSS View Post
From all the feedback from the ST reviews and personal experience "torque-vectoring" works really well.
I've been less-than-impressed with the brake-based system in my GTI: (1) You can still easily light up the front inside wheel putting down power in turns. (2) You don't get that feeling of the nose tucking into line under power in turns, the way you would with a true limited-slip differential. (3) The system contributes to brake fade over longer runs.

I think the inherently neutral chassis balance in the Focus ST probably helps take some of the load off (unlike the understeer-prone GTI), but for the reasons listed above, I'd much prefer a mechanical LSD.
DarkSunrise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:00 AM   #24
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
http://jalopnik.com/5963959/2014-for...g=la-auto-show

Not too shabby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:09 AM   #25
Grishbok
Volunteer Fire and Rescue

Drives: Ambulance... sideways.
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Mehcnaical LSD in a fwd turbo is absolutely nescessary. Fords torque vectoring system is pretty decent, but absolutely cannot compare to left foot brake control over the lsd. FWD cars nowadays can be quite surprising with initial turn-in, can get some chassis rotation through clever suspension dynamics. The problem is the power delivery through the front wheels under stress, which can be mastered through lfb technique, not a computer.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:48 PM   #26
LIKEABOSS

Drives: 2013 Boss 302 & 2013 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grishbok View Post
Mehcnaical LSD in a fwd turbo is absolutely nescessary. Fords torque vectoring system is pretty decent, but absolutely cannot compare to left foot brake control over the lsd. FWD cars nowadays can be quite surprising with initial turn-in, can get some chassis rotation through clever suspension dynamics. The problem is the power delivery through the front wheels under stress, which can be mastered through lfb technique, not a computer.
Do yourself a favor and drive a Focus ST. You might be singing a different tune. Ford's system is well implemented.
LIKEABOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:47 AM   #27
gmookher
Banned

Drives: VortechSC,BorlaEL,Perrin,GCRace
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
drove it

meh
gmookher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:02 AM   #28
Grishbok
Volunteer Fire and Rescue

Drives: Ambulance... sideways.
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIKEABOSS View Post
Do yourself a favor and drive a Focus ST. You might be singing a different tune. Ford's system is well implemented.
I have, ive driven the RS as well.