follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 12-18-2012, 09:30 PM   #15
nyc

Drives: e92m
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
bmw came up with probably the best ever twin scroll turbo set up. you cant expect a tuning company to replicate that
nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:27 AM   #16
ANTI_LAG

Drives: Ones with Big Turbos
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Your comparing a made to be turbo motor with a high CR NA motor. We have went over all this on our race cars, we would run divided T4 72mm turbos on our 12:1 cr engines which yes could spool a little faster in some cases but would run into back pressure issues in higher rpms, we swapped to undivided manifolds and gained mph. I see wht your saying and see the googled images but I'm saying your walking a thin line with this engine, spool vs back pressure is something that has to be carefully considered. Most twin scrolls for street cars will be smaller then a T3 which I recommend an I'm saying a jump to a euro t3 wouldn't really be a noticeable thing. We have tried it on other cars.
ANTI_LAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:46 AM   #17
ANTI_LAG

Drives: Ones with Big Turbos
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Also want to add that results will greatly change depending on turbo manufacturer you use, in the case of Precision they have had great success with the new turbine wheels, they decrease back pressure while helping with spool. This added with the billet compressor wheels is why everyone has been able to go a lot faster in turbo size limited classes.
ANTI_LAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:50 PM   #18
3MI Racing
Pro Subie Engine Nerd

Drives: empty spot for an FR-S/BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I won't begin to speculate on the back pressure as this plays heavily on tubing size, length, volute size and the most biggest variable, the valvetrain.

Empirical data; get some as everything else is guessing. Take that data and let analytic thinking and the fact lead you to an answer.

With that being said, OS and TS both have perks. If I'm concerned highly with transient response and low end spool, then I will of course run a TS. For an example, look at the torque curve (spike?) on the Crawford BRZ. It would be great for Auto-x but not ideal for drag racing. If I want 'big' power and OS gets my vote. You don't have longevity issues with cracking the center wall in the turbine housing, high temp TS housings also aren't always available (though much more common now!). Then the TS manifold also has a higher flow restrictions for the same given flow-rate and cross sectional area and lower thermal efficiency (but I guess we don't care about that in this application).

I actually had read the original research data carried out by Renault and Volvo trucks when I was consulting at their powertrain facility. They found decreasing return as RPM increased, when comparing TS and OS. Basically flow rate gets to a point that the pulse strength plays a smaller roll/become moot. Its much like (not exactly like) how with resonance/Helmholtz tuning, the pulse strength has less effect (delta) on a forced induction system.

-Micah
3MI Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:43 PM   #19
Captain Insano

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler RubiconX
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I think most of us here agree TS helps with transient off to on boost response and low end response in general. That is a great thing for this car in most applications (maybe not drag racing as you allude to, but most other applications) as this car is lacking in torque.
Captain Insano is offline   Reply With Quote