follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 06-30-2021, 08:36 PM   #57
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Got to pay to play!

Yea. I think the problem here is my idea of an acceptable 4-door and a lot of folks on here is different. No Subaru is an acceptable 4-door sedan. If I'm going to 4, it implies a lot more than a compact car with extra doors.

I suspect they are better than you think, and the compromises that are there are not ones that matter to me, but do make it a $100K car instead of $125K car, so YMMV. Not sure how many other 4 door, 5 seat luxury cars you can get with a v8 and a manual transmission though.

That was mostly in jest, I know they’re quite capable. I do prefer a BMW or Benz personally.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-01-2021), Jordanwolf (07-01-2021)
Old 07-01-2021, 01:18 AM   #58
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
Yea CTR and Vel N's would be on my list. Adjustable dampers, valve exhaust, sits 4 ppl, and track ready in stock form. But at this point its mute. I come to realize I don't want another car payment. Next car will/should be an EV once the gov. unlocks additional federal tax $$$ for Tesla and Chevy.
Track ready with an asterisks*.

Keeping in mind some minor cooling mods at stock power on the CTR, and you'll be laughing the entire day. No comment on Veloster N as I just don't know, but story might be similar.

All else; suspension is quite amazing, perhaps some more camber adjustment for the sake of tires would be in order. Smaller diameter wheels for cheaper tires and some cushion for hitting curbing... and you're done. Just maintain from there.

But, yes, car payments suck. It's why I've already paid her off to wash my hands clean of that...

And EV, well it's just not ready yet. Wait just a little bit more, we simply haven't seen the absolute shattering of the auto industry yet. There are some notable things happening right now, EV battery's, hydrogen trying to cling to life, and Porsche with their green?? fuel. One eventually has to just spiral, and I don't feel like batteries are yet spiraling.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
Wally86 (07-01-2021)
Old 07-01-2021, 01:31 AM   #59
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,027 Times in 1,465 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
Track ready with an asterisks*.

Keeping in mind some minor cooling mods at stock power on the CTR, and you'll be laughing the entire day. No comment on Veloster N as I just don't know, but story might be similar.

All else; suspension is quite amazing, perhaps some more camber adjustment for the sake of tires would be in order. Smaller diameter wheels for cheaper tires and some cushion for hitting curbing... and you're done. Just maintain from there.

But, yes, car payments suck. It's why I've already paid her off to wash my hands clean of that...

And EV, well it's just not ready yet. Wait just a little bit more, we simply haven't seen the absolute shattering of the auto industry yet. There are some notable things happening right now, EV battery's, hydrogen trying to cling to life, and Porsche with their green?? fuel. One eventually has to just spiral, and I don't feel like batteries are yet spiraling.
While I share your some thoughts on EVs for us because we have solar and CA has a decent charging infrastructure it kinda makes sense. Do you own a CTR? To bad finding any decent deals on a CTR used or new is impossible these days!

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 01:48 AM   #60
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Got to pay to play!

Yea. I think the problem here is my idea of an acceptable 4-door and a lot of folks on here is different. No Subaru is an acceptable 4-door sedan. If I'm going to 4, it implies a lot more than a compact car with extra doors.

I suspect they are better than you think, and the compromises that are there are not ones that matter to me, but do make it a $100K car instead of $125K car, so YMMV. Not sure how many other 4 door, 5 seat luxury cars you can get with a v8 and a manual transmission though.
Very much this, despite my ideas of this statement being a little different than your intention. Impreza? Just buy a Mazda 3, Civic, or Corolla.

The WRX, well if it doesn't hit the mark, I don't see them gaining too much traction ever again (you can only ride Colin McRaes train for so long). I've done a complete 180 on how I used to think of the WRX/STi, they are just no longer a compelling package in almost any way to me besides AWD, which is very sad.

Old WRX/STi's? Bang on. New? Yeah, no. I've heard enough complaints from current gen owners that would put a Karen to shame.

They need to find a new formula or imho, they'll stay at the bottom of the barrel.

My only comment on CTx's is Mercedes exists. If I'm going to pay that money, you're going to be well damn sure Mercedes is at the top of my list for a 4door super saloon.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-01-2021), Wally86 (07-01-2021)
Old 07-01-2021, 01:53 AM   #61
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
While I share your some thoughts on EVs for us because we have solar and CA has a decent charging infrastructure it kinda makes sense. Do you own a CTR? To bad finding any decent deals on a CTR used or new is impossible these days!

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
Yes I own a CTR, maybe I should change my car thing from SEE TEA ARE, lol.

The hardest part about the CTR is finding a good price in the states as I'm lead to believe, in Canada... every single one is sold. Not a single new CTR in inventory.
Old 07-01-2021, 07:28 AM   #62
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,982 Times in 11,395 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
My only comment on CTx's is Mercedes exists. If I'm going to pay that money, you're going to be well damn sure Mercedes is at the top of my list for a 4door super saloon.
I like and respect Mercedes but I wouldn't own one because of acquisition, maintenance and repair costs, at least from what I've seen. I could probably be convinced though...

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Capt Spaulding (07-01-2021)
Old 07-01-2021, 08:18 AM   #63
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
I like and respect Mercedes but I wouldn't own one because of acquisition, maintenance and repair costs, at least from what I've seen. I could probably be convinced though...
As a current owner of two Mercedes and a previous owner of a third, I would say your current assessment is dead-on accurate and would recommend you not alter it unless you have at least two of the following, preferably three...

1. Deep pockets
2. Mechanical skills and a well-equipped shop
3. Patience
4. A reliable 2nd or 3rd vehicle always available

Although we fastidiously maintain all of our vehicles, our Mercedes (plural) have left us stranded more times and cost us more money in repairs than all of our other vehicles combined....by a VERY wide margin. Despite that, I still like them and would still describe them as "great vehicles" just for the comfort and driving experience, but ....well.... I currently own my last Mercedes.
Dadhawk (07-01-2021), Stonehorsw (07-01-2021)
Old 07-01-2021, 09:09 AM   #64
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Agreed up to the last clause. I don't think I'm persuadable. I'm similarly skeptical of BMW. I have seen far too many of my peers pour money down the Merc, BMW, and even Porsche ratholes to venture out onto that ice. I understand the allure to an extent, and part of me would love a 911. I just haven't (and hope never do) fallen for it.
Dadhawk (07-01-2021), Stonehorsw (07-01-2021)
Old 07-01-2021, 09:14 AM   #65
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,383 Times in 4,137 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
GEN3 CTS-V GEN2 CTS-V CT5-V Blackwing
I had no idea what you were talking about so had to research and immediately think of

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-01-2021)
Old 07-01-2021, 09:17 AM   #66
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Spaulding View Post
Agreed up to the last clause. I don't think I'm persuadable. I'm similarly skeptical of BMW. I have seen far too many of my peers pour money down the Merc, BMW, and even Porsche ratholes to venture out onto that ice. I understand the allure to an extent, and part of me would love a 911. I just haven't (and hope never do) fallen for it.
Yea, in the end I'm likely in the same camp on all three. Say what you want about GM products, but just about any mechanic in the US can competently work on one, and part prices are usually reasonable.

To some extent, in the EV world, I feel the same way about Tesla. No thanks, even if all else is equal I'm not crazy about their support model.

Last edited by Dadhawk; 07-01-2021 at 10:02 AM.
Capt Spaulding (07-01-2021)
Old 07-01-2021, 09:21 AM   #67
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
I had no idea what you were talking about so had to research and immediately think of
Hah! Never heard that before. If I do ever buy a Cadi, this will be my startup song on it.

Captain Snooze (07-01-2021)
Old 07-01-2021, 09:38 AM   #68
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Spaulding View Post
I've always wanted an older 911, too, but would "settle" for a Cayman or Boxster..but probably will never do it for the reasons stated....I'm just too cheap and like to drive WAY more than I like to wrench.

I'd also agree with your cautions regarding current BMWs, especially the X3/X5 iterations. FWIW, our e36 325i was pretty much the MOST reliable car we've ever had...235k miles with only typical wear parts replaced, and drivetrain still performing and feeling the same as the day I bought it with 60k on it. Parts weren't expensive either, on the rare occasions something wore out. I'd buy another one of those immediately if I could find one that wasn't priced like it was made out of moon rocks.
Capt Spaulding (07-01-2021), Dadhawk (07-01-2021)
Old 07-01-2021, 10:43 AM   #69
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
If you have the money for super saloon, you have the money to not care about maintenance costs tbh.

From a driving perspective I don't think it would take long to get you on board.
Old 07-01-2021, 10:48 AM   #70
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
If you have the money for super saloon, you have the money to not care about maintenance costs tbh.
For some possibly, but I always care about costs.