follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 05-12-2014, 01:38 PM   #1135
dradernh

Drives: Used to Drive:Grand-Am GS #54 E36M3
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp1 View Post
I wanted to give it a wide margin to see if anything would go wrong after the big build and to check out the dynamics safely.
That's very smart. Anything come up with temperatures, leaks or any other glitches, or was it all good?
dradernh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:47 PM   #1136
kavanagh
Fat on Corn Syrup

Drives: 2014 Asphalt FRS AT (yes, auto!)
Thanked 2,748 Times in 1,094 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Mind sharing your camber specs and tire pressures? Those sidewalls look like they're in relatively good shape compared to mine.
We're on stock suspension with no camber adjustments (yet) running 17x8 rims with PSS 225/45 and running between 37 and 39 hot pressures. We're running on a pretty short/technical track and not a long/fast one. Wild Horse Pass East and West are both about 1.2 miles and see a top speed around 87. Very fun for learning technical aspects of driving. I recently learned that drivers from around the country come to WHP West for practice since it's so technical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp1 View Post
Here is my 4/28 run at WGI, driving relatively slow since it was my first time with FR-S on track to get a feel for it. JR SC, Sprint BBK, Ohlins R&T, Toyo Proxes RA1 235/40R17, -3.4f -2.7r camber, 2 deg caster added, no toe, JR oil cooler, P&L 4-1 + Perrin 2.5" resonated, dyno tune by JR. Tires looked like new when I got off - could go 10+ mph faster in most corners...going to NJMP this weekend with NASA, and back at WGI on 7/8-7/9 with SCDA.
@Prime Motoring did a great job with the build.

So awesome to see another Automagic on the track!!! I really think people are starting to recognize the beauty of this particular transmission, and I love seeing it used! Have you been following any of the developments from SSP in this thread? http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51851
We're interested in seeing results of the Stage I valve body upgrade soon.
kavanagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:57 PM   #1137
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavanagh View Post
We're on stock suspension with no camber adjustments (yet) running 17x8 rims with PSS 225/45 and running between 37 and 39 hot pressures. We're running on a pretty short/technical track and not a long/fast one. Wild Horse Pass East and West are both about 1.2 miles and see a top speed around 87. Very fun for learning technical aspects of driving. I recently learned that drivers from around the country come to WHP West for practice since it's so technical.
Awesome, thanks. That's actually very close to what I'm running (215 Sumitomo HTR ZIII on 17x8 wheels, stock suspension, stock camber, 37 psi hot) on a short technical course. I'm seeing a lot of outer-shoulder wear on my front tires. I'm guessing my Sumitomos have much softer sidewalls than your PSS. I just bought some whiteline front camber bolts so hopefully that'll help.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:24 PM   #1138
dp1
driving smoother faster

Drives: Sold
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
That's very smart. Anything come up with temperatures, leaks or any other glitches, or was it all good?

The only glitch was two small trans fluid leaks at two different SSP trans cooler fittings near pump and rad. They were not mounted in recommended locations because of JR oil cooler and JR SC cooler, so don't know if it was due to faulty fittings or mounting in non-standard location, with increased vibration. Had entire SSP trans cooler system taken off the car few days ago, and put in a stock pan with new seal. Probably would have been fine in stock mounting location...would be helpful for others to get feedback from those who installed it and tracked it. Shop contacted SSP but they wouldn't take it back, even with restocking fee. Was fine after shop near the track re-tightened everything up. Will put it up for sale soon. Everything else worked like a charm, love the setup.
dp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:47 PM   #1139
AZP Installs

Drives: '11 STi->'14 BRZ | '14 Touareg TDi
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to AZP Installs
Update on temps.

A was inadvertently left on during my morning session.

Afternoon coolant stayed at 198 and oil peaked at 270. Oil cooler going in before Njmp next weekend.

Look forward to seeing you guys out there.

Mike
AZP Installs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:22 PM   #1140
kavanagh
Fat on Corn Syrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Awesome, thanks. That's actually very close to what I'm running (215 Sumitomo HTR ZIII on 17x8 wheels, stock suspension, stock camber, 37 psi hot) on a short technical course. I'm seeing a lot of outer-shoulder wear on my front tires. I'm guessing my Sumitomos have much softer sidewalls than your PSS. I just bought some whiteline front camber bolts so hopefully that'll help.
I'm sure the bolts will help - they're on our short list as well. Maybe another pound or two of pressure? Worth trying since it's free.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:22 PM   #1141
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thongpocket View Post
After running Rd ATL I feel I may need to revise my wheel and tire combo. My 17x8 rpf1's and RE11's did good. But I feel I need a bigger tire in the back. My power level is low but I just couldn't get the car to rotate as much as I would like with the throttle. Specifically on turns 1, 5 and 7. I still need a lot more experience but I also felt that my -2F and -3R camber worked well out there. I was running a starting pressure of 31psi but went down to 29 psi and got much better grip. My first lap was 2:06 and my final and best was a 1:56. Attachment 78272Attachment 78273

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
I'm willing to bet that your -3 rear camber vs your -2 front camber has a lot to say about why you were having trouble making it rotate under throttle. Try less rear camber and more front camber.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:51 PM   #1142
kavanagh
Fat on Corn Syrup

A question for Mike and anyone else who wants to chime in...

Racing harness suggestions?

I've read through these forums ad nauseum (CG Lock, don't-run-a-harness-without-a-cage, 4 vs 5 point, anti-submarining, etc...), but what are you guys actually using? We'd like to keep the stock seats for daily comfort and don't care about access to the rear seats (the "shelf"). We don't mind wearing the harnesses on a daily basis. Looking for something safe that will keep us planted in the seat more firmly. So far we've been using the 'pull it fast so the seat belt locks' method, which sort of sucks.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:58 PM   #1143
BRZZZZZZZZZZ
Car Nut

Drives: BMW 335d, Toyota Echo RS, FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Well my stock pads lasted the first day but likely need to be replaced now! 160km total of track time with no power mods but lots of suspension wheel and tires mods and 5x20 minute sessions and they just barely began to fade on the last 2 laps of my last session.

7300km on the car now and its time for brakes
BRZZZZZZZZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:01 PM   #1144
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
The problem with racing harnesses and stock seats is that the stock seats and stock restraints are designed to give in the event of a collision and harnesses are not. So you'll be harnessed in all tight and secure, but your seat will be bending and folding without you. This would be even worse in a rollover that violated the structural integrity of the roof.

Alternately, you could swap in a fixed-back seat for track days and run harnesses with that. Which is fine, unless you have another rollover and the roof is crushed, because you'll be strapped in tight, bolt upright and not able to flex, while the roof comes down around your head.

So let's get a rollbar and keep the roof where it's supposed to be, right? You could. And swap in a racing bucket and harnesses for track days, but keep the OEM stuff for DD. Now what happens if some drunken idiot smashes you at a red light? You're riding in your OEM seat because you're not on the track, and the OEM seat gives in a collision. Your head gets intimately acquainted with the rollbar, and you're not wearing a helmet because you're not on the track. Rollbar padding only goes so far.

That's why they all recommend sticking with OEM restraints unless you're going 100% racecar.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
kavanagh (05-12-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 07:21 PM   #1145
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:

I've read through these forums ad nauseum (CG Lock, don't-run-a-harness-without-a-cage, 4 vs 5 point, anti-submarining, etc...), but what are you guys actually using? We'd like to keep the stock seats for daily comfort and don't care about access to the rear seats (the "shelf"). We don't mind wearing the harnesses on a daily basis. Looking for something safe that will keep us planted in the seat more firmly. So far we've been using the 'pull it fast so the seat belt locks' method, which sort of sucks.
Check out my build thread: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...96#post1677996

I'm running Schroth Profi II ASM 4-point harnesses with a street legal push release. The shoulder harnesses will be wrapped around my Agency Power bolt-in harness bar and will allow a HANS to be used. The harnesses are safe for use with stock seats with the anti-submarining belt and both sanctioning bodies I track my BRZ with (PCA and Hooked on Driving) allow it in their rule books. It's not ideal but it's definitely safer than the stock three points. The folks at Discovery Parts and HMS Motorsports agree.
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
kavanagh (05-12-2014), SirBrass (05-12-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 09:24 PM   #1146
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,181 Times in 6,837 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:

I wouldn't recommend a harness, unless you plan on caging the car, and getting buckets and a HANS type device. This effectively eliminates the car from street duty.

We use an OEM interior. Try sitting closer to the steering wheel, or using a CG Lock.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
AZP Installs (05-14-2014), kavanagh (05-12-2014), solidONE (05-14-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 09:24 PM   #1147
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,181 Times in 6,837 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZZZZZZZZZZ View Post
Well my stock pads lasted the first day but likely need to be replaced now! 160km total of track time with no power mods but lots of suspension wheel and tires mods and 5x20 minute sessions and they just barely began to fade on the last 2 laps of my last session.

7300km on the car now and its time for brakes
We have brakes that need a good home
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:35 PM   #1148
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
We have brakes that need a good home
Is there any kind of adoption fee involved?
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (05-12-2014), wparsons (05-14-2014)